PDA

View Full Version : Tack Trunks - Used?

DiablosHalo
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Anyone know a good place to find used tack trunks? I'm looking to get a trunk for each of my 11 horses and can not get new custom ones for each!

So thought I'd buy used ones and get custom covers for each one. I had no idea it would be so hard! I've tried all the horsey websites and local papers/craiglist. Is there a place to go?

Thanks!

Widget
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
My small trunk that I used as a kid (for grooming supplies smaller items) is actually an old shipping crate. My dad ordered some stuff and it was delivered in a wooden crate, so he brought it home and I painted it, added hinges and a lock and used it. Could be an inexpensive option if you can find them.

goodhors
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:20 PM
You might just get a plan for a trunk you like, dimensions, and have them built by a local carpenter.

Then you could paint or stain them to match, use stable colors if you like. I would think building them, you would come out about even with buying used, or even save money. The hardware of wheels will cost the most money, if you get good wheels. Or you could also have small platforms made to set them on.

Check advertising in the paper for handyman looking for jobs, call the local school shop class, put in an advertisement for a carpenter, and get prices. Having your plan to show them, should let them estimate time and materials for a good bid.

You will save by doing the paint or finish yourself. Having ALL the trunks built to your plan, they will all be alike when finished. I bet the guy can whip them up in a very short time for you. You can get whatever hardware you like for locks, hinges, edging. If you want the covers for shows, again they will all be the same size for better prices.

I have found a couple trunks at auction. Many years ago. Husband made the other, made just what I wanted, holds a LOT. I don't use them for daily horse use. Just never see tack trunks for sale around here, except at dispersal of a racing stable.

dmalbone
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have just started making 2 of them and they're really easy. The only thing I ever designed and built was a swinging stall door, but I thought they seemed easy enough in theory to build. I'm sure you could find plans and make them easily and MUCH cheaper than buying. We're going to stain them to match the barn and probably do something fancy to add the barn colors in.

Go Fish
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:43 PM
They're so damn expensive new that people hang onto them. I'm currently hoarding 5 trunks, but I have lots of storage space at home and I leave two of them at the trainer's barn. I recently added another used one in the trainer's colors so both of mine matched. I paid $500 for one in pretty good shape with the quilted cover and stand. I bought it from a customer of his that was quitting. Try calling around to trainers in your local area and see if anyone is selling out. You can get a pretty good deal if you are willing to take whatever colors are available. Wood ones are cheaper.

monalisa
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:26 PM
You might try The Tack Exchange in Middleburg, VA. They get a lot of stuff - might call and see if they will call you if they get one in.

Many trainers' students sell theirs to existing students, because they are so expensive new. You'll likely need to find someone who has quit riding completely.

You may find a tack store going out of business that might have a "sample" one in the store that they will sell you. Just an idea.....

Foxtrot's
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:34 PM
Have you seen the enormous Rubbermade totes with wheels on them, for construction guys, I think. Would they do?

equusvilla
Nov. 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
You did not say if you haul your trunks to shows - or if this is just something that will stay outside each horses stall.

Try and think outside the box for what you need...as some have already suggested some really good ideas. I ride sidesaddle and go to shows - so I wanted something that looked really nice - but still servicable. I was willing to use something heavy if it looked the part...of looking elegant...and old fashioned. I am using antique steamer trunks. Find them at auctions, craigs list, antique stores...for about $100.00 each and then I restore the exterior, hardware etc.. Some even have wheels on them!

I seriously doubt you are going to be able to fine as many as you want that match - that are used.

Before pic of a trunk:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/SkwbE87ygwI/AAAAAAAAJDo/14FL0h_Ch4E/s1600-h/010.JPG

After:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q0y3aFaaLas/SkwbEI4ofzI/AAAAAAAAJDY/zo92Y79-55Y/s1600-h/steamer+trunk.jpg

Jo
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Have you seen the posts on here raving about the Stanley trunks? $50 at Home Depot or Lowes, comes with a "brush box" ;) wheels and a handle that pulls out when you're ready to move. I'm trying to think of an excuse to buy one cuz it's just that dang cool.

Amchara
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:08 PM
Those Stanely trunks are suppper nice! I'd for sure get one of those if I hadn't of scored a used trunk, complete with lock, stand, and the old owner's intials on the front of it :lol:.

I keep saying that when I'm seriously showing, have my own trailer, etc, etc I'll have a Stanely for the trailer/show gear.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:33 PM
I think I meant Stanley, not Rubbermade.

Romany
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think I meant Stanley, not Rubbermade.

Yebbut, Rubbermaid did do one a long time ago - had a nice squishy seat you could buy for it - but it wasn't as roomy as the Stanley (and who doesn't lurve that black and yellow?!).

enjoytheride
Nov. 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
Why on earth would you want a trunk for each horse? They have to share at least some of their things, that is a ton to put down barn aisles, and yikes! What about rubbermaid bins for the extra horse stuff and then a couple nice trunks.

I got mine off of craigslist. I paid $150 for a solid wood trunk with bandage lid and a PDN saddle. I sold the PDN for $250 on Ebay and kept the trunk.

The trunk is my coffee table because its heavy and too nice to put in a barn and i have one of the Stanley trunks on wheels everyone loves for the rest of my stuff.

Alagirl
Nov. 14, 2009, 01:54 PM
They're so damn expensive new that people hang onto them. I'm currently hoarding 5 trunks, but I have lots of storage space at home and I leave two of them at the trainer's barn. I recently added another used one in the trainer's colors so both of mine matched. I paid $500 for one in pretty good shape with the quilted cover and stand. I bought it from a customer of his that was quitting. Try calling around to trainers in your local area and see if anyone is selling out. You can get a pretty good deal if you are willing to take whatever colors are available. Wood ones are cheaper.

fuuuu, 500 for a USED one?! :eek:

to the OP, check COTH for home made trunks and stuff, lot's of nice projects have been shared. even with nice marine grade plywood and nice hinges and casters, you should be able to come in under budget even if you have to pay to have it made. I think the hardware stores cut the lumber to size if you don't have the tools at home, so once you get your plan down you can buy the materials, have them cut to size and assemble them with little problem. At that stage all you's need would be a drill/screw driver and some glue....

pippa553
Nov. 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
You can always try the Alchemy section on etsy. With Alchemy you get to post want you want made and people will give you bids over a certain time frame. A friend of mine had an unfinished large trunk built on there for $200 to her specs at it's gorgeous! I believe the person who built it for her does a lot of wood sculpting but had the tools and skills available to make the trunk and needed the work. Or you can try posting in the labor or creative gig section on craigslist. With so many people out of work I wouldn't be surprised if you get some good bids from hobby woodworkers. Sounds like you will have one gorgeous barn!

Go Fish
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=enjoytheride;4497899]Why on earth would you want a trunk for each horse? They have to share at least some of their things, that is a ton to put down barn aisles, and yikes! What about rubbermaid bins for the extra horse stuff and then a couple nice trunks. QUOTE]

Sounds shallow, but each stall needs a trunk in front of it at the shows so the aisle looks nice. But this is not the reason I have a trunk for each horse. Each horse needs the following (off the top of my head): standing wraps (no bows and flannels), bridle/standing, Eskadrons, working pads, show pads, sheets, coolers (Irish knit and wool), a warm stable blanket if it's cold, just to name a few. And then, because I have two horses, I have to have a large supply of all the other stuff - the normal grooming supplies, bathing supplies, tack cleaning supplies, towels, linament, my helmet, half chaps, paddock boots, a caulk kit, spare halter and lead, you get the idea. Neither trunk exactly has a lot of left over room.

I figure that $500 for a used trunk that includes a quilted cover and stand is a bargain considering new, they cost more than $1,000 with shipping. You can also wait for ages for a custom trunk.

The wood ones are definately cheaper and I have a couple of them. But my current trainer has the vinyl ones so that is what I need.

I'm allowed to keep one trunk per horse at the barn. We don't keep them in the aisle inside the barn. They are kept out under the outside aisle near the tack room so are not in the way of the activities around the barn.

mothermucker12
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
rubbermaid still sells them, i have one that i got years ago

http://www.stagecoachwest.com/productDetail.asp?id=23184&md=d&mode=showDetail

DiablosHalo
Nov. 16, 2009, 08:00 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I will look into a local carpenter building them. I only need a medium size trunk for each. I want each to have their own bc they all have stable sheet and rugs, turnout sheet and blanket, fly sheet, mask, and leggins. Some have specific boots, tack, etc. It would just be nice to each have their own in front of their stall.

My barn is private so no worries about clogging up the aisle. I have pallets I've cut to set the existing trunks on - it works pretty good. I plan to get covers for all the trunks so they all match and keep the dust off them. So used trunks wouldn't bother me.

I'm off to check out all your links and such. Thanks again!

DiablosHalo
Nov. 16, 2009, 08:26 AM
hmmm.... the rubbermaid ones look interesting!

TBrescue
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
one of my friends has the rubbermaid one, it's very roomy. I lucked out and bought a lovely wooden one for $300 second hand off CL.

texang73
Nov. 16, 2009, 02:17 PM
Have you seen the posts on here raving about the Stanley trunks? $50 at Home Depot or Lowes, comes with a "brush box" ;) wheels and a handle that pulls out when you're ready to move. I'm trying to think of an excuse to buy one cuz it's just that dang cool.

LURVE mine!! :D