PDA

View Full Version : memorial award ideas

Vibrant
Nov. 12, 2009, 11:20 AM
My sister, who lost her beloved eventing partner last week, would like to sponsor a year-end award within our GMO in his memory, and we're looking for ideas. What other types of awards do you see given out, besides the usual high points?

inquisitive
Nov. 12, 2009, 11:26 AM
Best conditioned
Best groomed
Best horsemanship
Best sportsmanship

I think it'd be nice to honor whatever they celebrated in their partnership. So maybe something like Best partnership where you see who seems to get along wonderfully with their horse, or something more specific to the pair. Or specific to the horse, like quirky or loving or something. Or if the horse came off the track or brought a bunch of kids up the levels or something else. You could take nominations to get information on the horses competing.

Condolences to your sister...

mjrtango93
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:56 PM
I agree with what inquisitive put. Remember what it was your sisters's horse did great and find an award to do around that. Best schoolhorse, best horse competing over the age of 18, best amatuer horse not to have competed over a certain level. Those awards I would think would carry on his legend in your sister's mind, and be something special for the recipient.

KellyS
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
I third the above suggestions!

When we lost our horse in April 2007 we decided to do a memorial award at Jersey Fresh. Traveler was best known for being one of the oldest horses (but youngest acting) at every event he went to. He was 21 when we did our training 3-day and 22 when I moved up to Prelim. So we created the "Traveler Forever Young Memorial Award," which is awarded to the oldest horse to complete the CCI ** or ***. :)

Vibrant
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:15 PM
Kelly, what a wonderful tribute!

Inquisitive, I really like the partnership idea, because that really was what their relationship was all about. We could do it nomination style (a third party has to nominate you and your horse) and she (my sis) could put together a small committee to review the nominations and pick a winner. Our GMO does something similar for our volunteer award.

Thanks, guys!

Lisamarie8
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Vibrant,

I lost My Ozzy almost two years ago. We created an award in his memory, you can read about it here (http://sites.google.com/site/theozzyphilosophyaward/theozzyphilosophyaward).

This up coming spring is the third and final year that we're giving it, and it's been a fantastic thing to be able to do.

These kinds of awards are SUCH a personal thing. I think getting as much info about what people have done in the past and altering it to suit your needs is a great way to go.

Good Luck,
Lisa

AKB
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:46 PM
What about collecting donations to buy something that would help better the lives of other event horses? I don't know what happened to your sister's horse. If he had a fracture, you might buy top quality splints for the horse ambulance from your local vet school. If he had an aneurysm, you might start a fund for veterinary research on aneurysms or buy an ultrasound that could detect aneurysms before a horse goes cross country (if that is possible). Sometimes a lasting memorial is a good tribute to a beloved horse.

chai
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Vibrant,
I am sorry to hear of your sister's loss. When we lost a beloved old campaigner, I bought a big silver bowl and donated it to a local show as a perpetual trophy in his name.
I like the idea of honoring sportsmanship.

Vibrant
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:43 AM
Lisamarie, I LOVE it! :yes:

For those that are curious, my sister's horse was an OTTB. She took him from the track to their first * in 5 years and was even hoping to put a move on Rolex before he got too old. Unfortunately, he developed - or manifested, we're not sure how it came about - a rare autoimmune disorder that caused massive cellulitis in his legs. They (she and her vet) managed it for a couple years but this past year the flare-ups had gotten progressively more frequent and more severe, so that finally they determined that the amount of steroids he'd have to be on for the rest of his life would probably kill him anyway, and so they made the decision to let him go. :(

scubed
Nov. 13, 2009, 02:55 PM
You can also think about fun awards. I did an award one year for the best ammy prelim dressage score (mine being notoriously bad). There are awards at some of the Michigan events for best CANTER horse, if horse was an OTTB, you could do something related to that. A friend of mine just won a "highest combined horse and rider age" award. You could do the longest partnership, etc. The ones that require nomination and statements are probably a little tougher than the ones that you can just get the information off the entry forms or scores, but there are lots of fun options.

Long Spot
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
LisaMarie,

Your "About Ozzy" page brought a giant smile to my face and tear to my eye. How lovely to have an award in his memory.