PDA

View Full Version : Eventing prospect?

eventingismylife
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hi guys, tell me what you think. Most of you already know what I am looking for....So tear him apart!

Info:
name: Gambini Gold
2006 OTTB gelding 16.2hh & growing
pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/gambini+gold
This is what I have been told about him "Extremely sweet personality, expression, and temperament. Coming off the track uninterested in racing. Wants to please, loves people and being fused over. Sound, nice strong build, and flashy. Would do well as a Dressage or Hunter/Jumper prospect. No vices. Wants his own person! $2000..." So yah critique away!!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/playbunymaterial/GambiniGold002.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/playbunymaterial/GambiniGold004.jpg

eventingismylife
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:52 AM
Here is another pic too: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4493909#post4493909

Mach Two
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:37 AM
I like his frame, the three things I see in the photo I'd like to see in person though are the knees: he looks to be "tied in" at the knee, and the two front white hooves, shod for the track with clips make me wonder how those feet hold shoes.
Hopefully he's just standing like that behind and is not cowhocked...the photo may be deceptive, might be just fine, but take a good look. Not that a cowhocked horse can't event, but the maintenance is something to think about down the road.
Just the things I'd really look at.

Great expression, like his hind leg, and his over all appearance.
Pedigree wise, Buckpasser and Lyphard lines have produced some good chasers and eventers.

ohhthatgirl
Nov. 12, 2009, 04:51 AM
He is very cute! He looks like he has a wonderful disposition and a kind eye.

I agree with what Mach Two said about his conformation, but try to get another shot. The way the photographer is standing (not perpendicular to the horse) and the fact that (s)he is on a slope has led to deceptive proportions and weird angles.

But anyways, he looks like a promising horse to check out. Keep us updated!

bwills2
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'm a sucker...so fwiw, I love, love his eye and expression and wouldn't be able to say no.....
That's of no use to you I'm sure!!!

Couture TB
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:19 AM
How about you go pick up this guy so I don't? I have been resisiting calling and making an offer:lol:

http://www.ilhbpa.com/index.aspx?itemid=1137

Gry2Yng
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:27 AM
How about you go pick up this guy so I don't? I have been resisiting calling and making an offer:lol:

I wish CA would use bigger pictures, but I LOVE this guy. He's big like you want. Love ALL his angles (given a really small pic at a bad angle). Illinois bred. I always fall for the plain bays.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
Although his rear toes point outward which might mean he's cowhocked (hocks point toward each other), he is so awkwardly stood up with his hind legs up under his body that you can't really make much of a judgement.... he looks like if his legs were under his butt where they belonged, his angles at least would be fine.

Front feet are a bit small, and short compared to the back feet (which look long) which combined with the clips does make me wonder if he pulls shoes. Of course, on a regular shoeing schedule with a competent farrier, who knows? I have rarely found shoe-pulling to be a "horse" problem! Usually it is a "management" problem.

He looks nice despite the pic.

Jennifer

judybigredpony
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
I hope you got him home already...

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:54 AM

Can't see the pictures of the one the OP posted...but this is a good looking horse.

He also has an interesting pedigree

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=7965694&registry=T&horse_name=Juron&dam_name=Dear Miss&foaling_year=2006&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Couture TB
Nov. 12, 2009, 11:28 AM
Can't see the pictures of the one the OP posted...but this is a good looking horse.

He also has an interesting pedigree

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=7965694&registry=T&horse_name=Juron&dam_name=Dear Miss&foaling_year=2006&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

I know. Isn't he beautiful? I want I want. But I already have a true upper level prospect that I need to sink money into to compete. Though he is on my Christmas List:D

evans36
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
OOOH! Another place for me to peruse OTTBs to buy, now that I just sold mine because I can't afford him - just what I need!!:lol::no:

Couture TB
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
I think eventingismylife should go pick him up. He is 3, 17h, and only $1,000 and we all know most of the time you can get them for less then listed if they are still for sale going into winter. Or atleast IME.

Mach Two
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
For 1000, might be worth a chance, but the OP says 2000...that's double that. Still cheap, but money that can go into a problem, could be going into lessons, fees, etc.
I'm not saying this horse is a problem horse, but I'd want to check the knees, feet, and hocks, even for 1000.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
For 1000, might be worth a chance, but the OP says 2000...that's double that. Still cheap, but money that can go into a problem, could be going into lessons, fees, etc.
I'm not saying this horse is a problem horse, but I'd want to check the knees, feet, and hocks, even for 1000.

Just to be clear, different horses being talked about. The one the OP posted is 2000...the one Gaellent posted is 1000.

I'd personally ALWAYS do a PPE regardless of the price....and a few xrays might be worth it too. I'm almost happier if they have more starts and still flex and move sound....a 3 year old that big...I'd get some xrays.

I do think the 1000 guy that Gaellent posted is a lovely type. A bit big for my tastes but still a nice package. Given his shoulder and the way he looks...he should move very well.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah that 1000 horse is definitely worth a look.

magnolia73
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:04 PM
Friendliness is undervalued. A horse with a pleasant, eager to please personality is awesome. Not to be goofy- but the first horse- he looks like a total sweetheart. A kind soft eye. Inquisitive. IMO, totally worth it to pay extra for a great personality.

A horse with a good personality is just easier to be around.

I don't know $hit about conformation, but those photos aren't easy to judge from. Just a cursory glance- nothing seems horribly out of place.

Go buy him already.

Blugal
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the OP wanted a horse to do YR in the next while.

What is the "next while" for her?

Because OP is looking at 2-3 years, if everything goes right, to doing a championship CCI*. (Horses must be 6 to do FEI levels.) If OP wants to do YR and she will be 18-21, then add another year or two for CCI** championship level.

Why not start with a 5 year old, who is more mature and more likely to be able to buckle down to work? And probably easier to assess as far as ability.

(Coming from a person who bought a 3 y.o. off the track 2 years ago, and many things wrong later, I am still waiting to accomplish WTC in a ring.)

Mach Two
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
Just to be clear, different horses being talked about. The one the OP posted is 2000...the one Gaellent posted is 1000.

I'd personally ALWAYS do a PPE regardless of the price....and a few xrays might be worth it too. I'm almost happier if they have more starts and still flex and move sound....a 3 year old that big...I'd get some xrays.

I do think the 1000 guy that Gaellent posted is a lovely type. A bit big for my tastes but still a nice package. Given his shoulder and the way he looks...he should move very well.

D'oh! I missed the second horse posted! :o

2LaZ2race
Nov. 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
I like him but do a Pre Purchase Exam.

A lot of trainers will keep trying with a horse if they're only 3 or at least sell it for more money as a racing prospect. There's so many low level claimers and such that they can get more money for him as a racehorse unless there are soundness issues.

"He's just not interested in racing" is the best excuse ever but how often is it true? who knows :)

sirensong4
Nov. 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
"He's just not interested in racing" is the best excuse ever but how often is it true? who knows :)

I agree with this. You DO hear it a lot . . .

Nevertheless, he looks like he has a very kind eye (and an enormous head, but that is just the angle of the pics, I'm sure . . .) and better rear feet than most TBs.

Definitely check him out and go for a ride!

Heinz 57
Nov. 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the OP wanted a horse to do YR in the next while.

What is the "next while" for her?

This.

I noticed that this guy is only a long 3yo.

Based on the goals you outlined in your original prospect critique thread, that seems like a lot of pressure to put on a VERY young horse, and leaves great potential for rushing or skipping steps to get the horse to fit into your schedule of things to accomplish before you age out. How will you cope if this horse mentally or physically CAN'T make it? If he's not cut out to be an eventer, or can't progress at the rate necessary to meet your goals?

As far as evaluating the horse you posted? He's got a cute face, but based on those two pictures, I don't think he's worth $2k, and doesn't scream 'UL potential' to me.

AppJumpr08
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:14 AM
I also agree on the age thing. They are both cute, but so very young. I firmly believe that babies off the track should have some serious down time to grow and learn to be horses before they get serious about their next career

eventingismylife
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys, I you've all been very helpful. The most I was wondering about is 1) his age 2)confo 3) if he is worth 2k and to have shipped all the way to Montana. I have a mare coming from Spokane for a trial run- 5yr old TB mare 17hh (at least, not sure) who has full sibs that have been proven and done UL, $4500. So we will see, she is a bit out of my price range, but the owner/trainer/breeder has offered a 30-60 day trial period. I may post confo shot to see what y'all think of her. I'll keep ya updated!

dmj
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
sorry to bump this old thread but I was looking at the first horse on the CANTER CA site and really like him - what did you end up deciding?