PDA

View Full Version : Presious Passion

Prado Power
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
I know Zenyata was the star of Breeders Cup Saturday, but I was just watching some of the replays and you have to love Presious Passion's race in the 1 1/2 mile Turf.

After running 1:09 for six furlongs and a 1:34 mile. When the field starts to catch up and 99% of the horses out there would have dropped the anchor and backed out of it, Presious Passion pins his ears and makes one of the best turf/distance horses in the world, Conduit, earn every inch of the half length win.

You can't help but love a horse that is that game after going so fast early on.

He is one serious racehorse!

mroades
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:45 PM
He is my favorite racehorse...did you see the profile of him on TVG? He doesn't even have to be held for his bath....LOVE HIM!

kcmel
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
I love his running style. I've never seen a horse actually be successful running so far ahead early. They almost always fade badly. He's cool!

Glimmerglass
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cited on the BC thread - and also this past summer - was PP's beloved victory at Monmouth in the United Nations where he set the track and stakes record. The BC was simply deja vu :D

Replay: July 4, 2009 Grade 1-T $750,000 UN Stakes - 20+ length lead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5X14UCvLaM)

Or how about from Feb down in Florida?

Replay: Feb 2, 2009 Grade 2 Mac Diarmida Stakes, Gulfstream Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5V6DCJJtTc)

Only a "fool" would dare challenge him on the lead. He's like the Energizer Bunny - he keeps going and going.

There was mention yesterday in the press that his connections have received several invitations for international races: Dubai and Hong Kong.

Provided the turf is firm (if its yielding they shouldn't even unload him) his talent and heart will get him to the winner's circle.

Sandy M
Nov. 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
I love his running style. I've never seen a horse actually be successful running so far ahead early. They almost always fade badly. He's cool!

Don't know if the San Juan Capistrano is still run at 1-3/4, but back in the 60s, I watched the races from Santa ANita on TV on Saturdays, and one year Tenny/Ellsworth sent in Olden Times as a rabbit for one of their other horses (maybe Prove It? I can't remember exactly). Anyway, Olden Times was basically a sprinter like Presious Passion, and Shoemaker broke him on top, opened up 23 lengths, and hung on to win by a nose! Fantastic race. I've obviously never forgotten it. Mrs. Ellsworth accepted the trophy and kept saying, "He's only supposed to go a mile." Shoemaker said that he was NEVER beaten out of the gate on Olden Times. I saw him in Kentucky back in the late 70s, when his name still showed up on the "leading broodmare sires list." Since we know what happened with Iron Reward, or even with Swap's relative soundness, you do wonder about the care he got. He was pin-fired to a faretheewell and had a hock the size of a grapegruit, but the stud handlers said he was basically sound and nice to handle. Jack Price said he liked to breed Carry Back to Olden Times mares because, "They stay sound and can run all day."

ThisTooShallPass
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:53 PM
Nice.

Holy cow Buena Vista had incredible late speed!

Can someone explain why most of them had face masks with ears on prerace, & then most all of them were pulled off before they entered the gate.

Love how the Japanese crowd are conditioned to all clap & cheer with the music before the load into the gate.

Also interesting how all the handlers wear helmets. And things are stepped up a notch in formality with the matching blazers, though hard to take the orange pants seriously.

Obviously I know nothing abut Japanese racing.

Calamber
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:03 PM
I love this horse! Thank you for putting this thread since I had not been able to see the Breeders Cup or follow and the lead up races (life is very complicated right now and no access to TV, a good thing really). He is a fighter, not the worlds smoothest running style but he makes up for it in courage.

Vivace
Nov. 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
Nice.

Holy cow Buena Vista had incredible late speed!

Can someone explain why most of them had face masks with ears on prerace, & then most all of them were pulled off before they entered the gate.

Love how the Japanese crowd are conditioned to all clap & cheer with the music before the load into the gate.

Also interesting how all the handlers wear helmets. And things are stepped up a notch in formality with the matching blazers, though hard to take the orange pants seriously.

Obviously I know nothing abut Japanese racing.

Ear muffs to keep them calm around the crowds, and then pulled off when away.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
The 'Passion' will return for an attempt at scoring a hat-trick in the Grade 2 W.L. McKnight turf stakes at Calder Race Course for December 26th!

DRF 12-15-09 "Presious Passion aims for three-peat" (http://drf.com/news/article/109563.html)

Trainer Mary Hartmann has already declared her intention to bring Presious Passion back to try for the three-peat in the 1 1/2-mile McKnight.

Presious Passion was one of 23 long-distance runners nominated for the McKnight and one of two Breeders' Cup runners-up on the list. Trainer Jonathan Sheppard also nominated Cloudy's Knight, who was equally gallant finishing a close second in the Marathon. Cloudy's Knight bounced back to win Woodbine's Valedictory Stakes on Dec. 6 for his third win in four starts this season.

A replay of PP taking this race in Dec 2008 is available here (http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?id=36816&type=news)

Alibhai's Alibar
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
Jack Price said he liked to breed Carry Back to Olden Times mares because, "They stay sound and can run all day."

Very cool! Thanks for posting this info. The mare I rode over the summer (http://www.pedigreequery.com/pocketwatch) is 2 x 4 Olden Times.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 31, 2009, 12:26 PM
The 'Passion' will return for an attempt at scoring a hat-trick in the Grade 2 W.L. McKnight turf stakes at Calder Race Course for December 26th!

Just getting caught up and noticed this race wasn't cited.

Alas 'Passion' was seriously compromised by the idiotic effort of the 80-1 Livingston Street who tried to match race if not rabbit-out our swift hare. If you watch the replay see how Livingston Street's jockey sends that horse on at about the 50-second to 1 minute mark in what either he thought (a) was a 1-mi sprint, (b) the second time past the stands when it was only the first, or (c) really just looked to derail Passion's chance to win ...

Props to Breeders' Cup Marathon runner up - and a delightful 9-yr old man - Cloudy's Knight for the victory.

Video replay here: Calder Race 10 Dec 26, 2009 Grade 2 W.L. McKnight Stakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69Lpuo8lnY)

Glimmerglass
Feb. 7, 2010, 04:53 PM
'The Passion' shall return! He's only now returned to training at Gulfstream Park and is aiming at the Grade 3 Mac Diarmida at a 1 3/8 miles on Feb. 27. Then Dubai with the Sheema Classic on March 27.

DRF 2-6-2010 "Presious Passion back at the track" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/110636.html)

"Originally I was going to give him 10 days off, but I recalculated our schedule and decided to give him a little extra time," said Mary Hartmann, who trains the multiple Grade 1 winner Presious Passion for owner Patricia Generazio.

"His layoff also coincided with my assistant Fernando Espinosa's vacation. He's Presious Passion's regular exercise rider, and to be honest this horse gets a little moody when he's not on him."

Regarding the bond between him and his exercise rider:

Part of the attraction between horse and rider is the fact Espinosa spends so much time with his big horse each and every morning on the track.

"Other exercise riders just don't have the time to spend with him because of their schedules," Hartmann explained. "Fernando has spoiled him. He spends about 45-50 minutes with him each day. They go out around 7:45 a.m. and are the last ones off the track each morning before the break at 8:30."

Glimmerglass
Sep. 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Just tossing this update here.

PP did win the MacDiarmida (Grade 3-T) at Gulfstream Park on Feb 28th. However like many other horses he went off to Dubai, failed to find his form and was off his game afterwards. So a well deserved summer of rest was ordered up, never even thinking about an Arlington Million attempt, but he is poised to return.

09-20-10 "Presious Passion Returns at Delaware Park" (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58971/presious-passion-returns-at-delaware-park)

'Passion' has been entered in the ninth race on the Sept. 22 (http://equibase.com/static/entry/DEL092210USA-EQB.html#RACE9) card at Delaware Park. The 7-year-old gelding, who has earned more than $2.5 million, will face seven other horses in the 1 1/16-mile conditioned allowance/optional claiming test on turf.

He just completed a workout on 9/14/10 at Monmouth Park going 1 mile in very relaxed time of 1:44.20. At 7-yrs old he knows that a work isn't the real deal.

TVG should air the race live.

midnightride
Sep. 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
yes!!!!!!!

yum.

mroades
Sep. 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yay!!!!!

maxxtrot
Sep. 21, 2010, 08:30 PM
friends of mine bred that horse here in ocala. nice people. glad to see he is running again, cool horse.

equinedriver
Sep. 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
Any one know what happened? The race was about 45 min ago and I can't find anything on line.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
Something is wrong as he just didn't fire at DelPark and finished 4th.

I thought he was finally relaxing as his opening lead wasn't that huge - maybe 3 lengths at its biggest. So up the backstretch while he did get some pressure the fractions weren't jaw dropping, when challenged he eased back into 2nd then 3rd, and after the last turn he just didn't look comfortable and Elvis was already going to the whip.

He had all sorts of the chances to close without much traffic compromising a final run. The track looked hard and fast which he tends to enjoy best. Somebody seems to have stolen his mojo which likely occured in that trip overseas.

Third Glance
Sep. 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
There'd been rumors out of Monmouth that he's become a real PITA in the mornings: refusing to train, refusing at the gate in schooling, etc. Anyone else heard those?

Mind you, from what I've heard and read, he's apparently always been a strong-minded horse, tending toward the "my way or no way" view of things. He chose that running style; Hartmann sure didn't.

So if he's decided he's done with racing, I'm not sure there's much to be done about it.

But, boy, when he was on, he was unforgettable.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 4, 2010, 08:16 PM
It didn't work at Keeneland so he's going under the radar on Breeders Cup's big day with an Aqueduct run: November 6, 2010 Race 7 - the Red Smith H. (Grade II) (http://equibase.com/static/entry/AQU110610USA-EQB.html#RACE7)

Breaking from post position 1

Let's hope he catches fire.

midnightride
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:14 PM
There'd been rumors out of Monmouth that he's become a real PITA in the mornings: refusing to train, refusing at the gate in schooling, etc. Anyone else heard those?

Mind you, from what I've heard and read, he's apparently always been a strong-minded horse, tending toward the "my way or no way" view of things. He chose that running style; Hartmann sure didn't.

So if he's decided he's done with racing, I'm not sure there's much to be done about it.

But, boy, when he was on, he was unforgettable.

I love this guy, he is smart and takes care of himself... bet he could have a great life once retired- IN THE RIGHT HANDS!!!! I wish him the best and pray that there is a place for him when done racing. He could easily be disregarded as garbage with the wrong folks. I think the smart & independent ones suffer most when off the track.... JMHO

Rock on PP!!!!!!!:)

Larksmom
Nov. 5, 2010, 05:36 PM
I have been prowling both racing channels between BC racing, and have somehow missed the Red Smith. And the TTimes and Blood Horse, seem to not have noticed either. I know it is hard to focus today tho;)

Glimmerglass
Nov. 5, 2010, 05:47 PM
PP will run tomorrow (Saturday) at the Big A ;)

Glimmerglass
Nov. 6, 2010, 03:43 PM
The soaking of NY spooked the connection as he needs firm turf to run. So Presious Passion was scratched at 11:30 am today by his trainer from the Red Smith ;)

Grassy took the victory.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:09 AM
A would-be comeback in the 2011 Grade 1 United Nations Stakes on July 2nd at Monmouth has been nixed and PP will take a break. DRF 6/24 "Presious Passion heading to farm" (http://www.drf.com/news/monmouth-park-presious-passion-heading-farm)

The star of Mary Hartmann’s barn will get a 30- to 60-day break, starting Monday.

The decision to lay up the 8-year-old gelding takes him out of consideration for the Grade 1 United Nations Stakes on July 2, a race the turf star captured in 2008 and 2009.

Presious Passion last ran in the Sunshine Millions Turf at Santa Anita in January (2011), where he led early before fading to fifth.

Back at Monmouth, he had three workouts and seemed on target for a United Nations return. And then he lost interest.

“There is nothing physically the matter with him.” Hartmann said. “He needs to clear his head. He was coming up to the U.N., and then he didn’t want to train any more. He’s just not right. We’ll see if the farm does the trick.”

It will be a short journey. Presious Passion is headed to Wellspring Farm in nearby Colts Neck.

There is the possibility that Presious Passion will decide farm living agrees with him and that his racing days are over.

“He might not want to do it anymore,” Hartmann said. “Then he can retire. He’s got nothing left to prove.”

Presious Passion has run 50 times, with a record of 14-7-2 and earnings of $2,691,099.