PDA

View Full Version : Black locust posts with bark still on?!

dmalbone
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
So... forgive the stupidity, but I think I'm back to square one for posts. I thought the locust posts I was getting at $4.50 a piece were normal posts, but she just informed me they still have the bark on them! Are those even considered posts!?! Aren't they just chopped up trees then? :lol: Regardless... is this normal? These won't work right? Will the bark fall off?

I'm having a HORRIBLE time finding posts I can afford. We're not going to be able to do our 6' fence regardless, I'm confused about how far the posts need to go in the ground, etc. etc.

Tamara in TN
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=dmalbone;4493514]So... forgive the stupidity, but I think I'm back to square one for posts. I thought the locust posts I was getting at $4.50 a piece were normal posts, but she just informed me they still have the bark on them! Are those even considered posts!?! Aren't they just chopped up trees then? :lol: Regardless... is this normal? These won't work right? Will the bark fall off?

you'll be fine :)....they dry harder than the pyramids, bark or no...drop them 2 to 3 feet deep for corners and 18-24 inches for line post

now that depends on the ground around you and if you are putting them in cement as well

best

dmalbone
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks! So if I'm doing electric fencing though, should I be worried about peeling bark touching the wires? Would that screw up the electric?

Tamara in TN
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks! So if I'm doing electric fencing though, should I be worried about peeling bark touching the wires? Would that screw up the electric?

I would'nt think so... but it's not hard to pop the bark off the stuff...are you going to split them ??more post for your buck that way

dmalbone
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
I would'nt think so... but it's not hard to pop the bark off the stuff...are you going to split them ??more post for your buck that way
Probably not. They're not very big to begin with. 5" I think they are.

hosspuller
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:45 AM
Black locust is the best. Even better than treated pine.
Quote: Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) is rated as extremely durable by the US Forest Products Laboratory and typically last for 70 years in ground contact without treatment. That's why black locust has been utilized for fence posts in the US for decades.:D

Mali
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:47 PM
My wonderful father cut down a grove of post-sized black locust trees several years ago and I used those for my fence posts (free posts!). I pulled as much loose bark off when I installed them, but they've been fine. I have electric, and used insulators that take 2 screws (Electrobraid insulators for wood posts). The posts are fairly straight & there is no way for the rope to contact the post, as the insulators hold them far enough away.

Tom King
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:00 PM
The bark will release in what seems like all of a sudden some time over a year and after the posts have dried out. I'd use a hatchet to hack it out of the way where any insulators go after the posts are set so you can get it all off out of the way after it releases. Yes, they are just cut off trees but that's okay.