PDA

View Full Version : If you think...

retreadeventer
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:02 PM
If you think you can start saving money in January for an Aiken trip in February....
you can't.

If you think your 13-year-old can go one more year on the pony before you have to start looking for another horse.....
she can't.

If you think that iffy tire on the horse trailer can make it to one more lesson....
it can't.

If you think you can plan for next year, but your best horse came in for dinner tonight just about on three legs...you can't.

If you think that paycheck will cover the hay bill, the electric bill, the groceries, and at least a couple sacks of grain for the week... it can't.

Anyone else have a day like me? :(

RunForIt
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:51 PM
should 3-legged horse become 4-legged, and you can hitch a ride south, after you've found hay and a way to plug into the electrical system next door...you have a stall at RFI Farm (can't guarantee electricity :lol: ) and a slot on the Rasta-Mo-BEEL to Pine Top Farm and Aiken (read Paradise Farm) as often as we can afford Diesel! :D :cool: (did I mention sleeping in the trailer in FEBRUARY?!)

mkevent
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:17 PM
Retread-I'm right there with you!! I've been having one of those years that truly test my mettle!

I didn't compete at all this year and the things that we were worried about that might happen did. I'm still trying to be as positive as possible because I need to be the shoulder to lean on!

I keep telling myself that what doesn't kill me will make me stronger...

Hope it gets better for you

Jleegriffith
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:25 PM
That was my year last year. Great, we built the barn and brought the horses home. Fractured knee, hock infection, horse hit by car and other random things that made me feel like banging my head against the wall and never looking at a horse again. Knock on wood this year has been quite good but we had a lot of emotional and financial digging to do after last season which is why I just didn't show and do all the things I normally do this year.

Hang it there it really does get better!

retreadeventer
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:04 PM
should 3-legged horse become 4-legged, and you can hitch a ride south, after you've found hay and a way to plug into the electrical system next door...you have a stall at RFI Farm (can't guarantee electricity :lol: ) and a slot on the Rasta-Mo-BEEL to Pine Top Farm and Aiken (read Paradise Farm) as often as we can afford Diesel! :D :cool: (did I mention sleeping in the trailer in FEBRUARY?!)

WoohOOOO the Rasta-Mo-BEEL has a slot for MEEEE!!! :) Thanks Run, you are always there!

Blugal
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:58 AM
I had one of those too. "If you think you will have a riding horse at 3 years old... just wait and see what can be thrown at you between now and then."

Our 6 month old foal has already suffered:
-starvation (not by us)
-bastard strangles
-death of her mother before weaning
-hernia surgery

Today was the day I thought we would be turning her out into her winter field and could stop worrying about her health.

Instead, went out this morning to find her lying down and unable to get up due to some problem in her back end.

Had to call vet, emergency/holiday vet fee (thank goodness he was available to come) and she has managed to injure her pelvis somehow.

So it's more stall-rest, and touch-and-go on how she'll do as it's difficult for her to get up, but she needs to lie down because her back end is so sore. :(

eventingismylife
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:44 AM
Wow, you guys, I am so sorry. You will all be in my thoughts. :)

evans36
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hear, hear! (Or more like, Me, Me! Here, Here!)

When it rains, it pours. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and realize that once it's over, you'll be better able to enjoy the good times :)

At least, that's what I tell myself.

LSM1212
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yep... this year is a wash for me. Horsie got a wicked stone bruise in March. Was just finishing healing and getting him going again in June and he coliced in early July and needed surgery. So yeah... this year is gone. Have started light trotting u/s.

Honestly? Last year was my only good year (2008) out of the 4 years I've owned him. :eek:

He dropped his hip 3 months after I bought him (early 2006) and ended up being laid up for a year. Then it took me another year to really get him fit and going again (end 2007/early 2008) and finding that right combination to keep him healthy (most of 2008).

Yep... it sucks. And this recovery isn't going to be any different. He was doing pretty well but we've hit a small set-back. :sigh:

Thanks goodness I love him.

asterix
Nov. 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
It's so weird that you posted this today...I went out to the barn and got on my big horse, who has had nearly 18 months more or less out of commission (oh, bilateral hind suspensory surgery, navicular bursitis, and then, after the first post-rehab entry went in, kick in the butt and off for 6 weeks)...he is finally feeling normal. Not strong, but not broken.
The other one was happily covered in mud vacationing from his end-of-season move up to T this past weekend.

As I left, I had to stop and just say a silent "thank you" -- 2 sound happy horses, pets and family healthy. I know it doesn't last, and god knows I've been down in the ditch, so the least I can do is appreciate it when I'm on the up side.

Hang in there. Better days are bound to come, and they will be sweet.

clivers
Nov. 13, 2009, 06:36 AM
If I've learned anything at all in the last 25 years it's how unpredictable our lives with horses can be - full of disappointment one moment and unbridled joy the next. Hang in there everyone. So many of us have been where you are. I almost believe the eventing gods test our spirit sometimes, but you will be back!

IFG
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:24 AM
If misery loves company, financial expenditures are on hold for the horse as I contemplate 4 years of college tuition for the TWINS. I guess two going at once increases the likelihood of financial aid, but it ain't going to cover everything. We will be eating beans and rice to keep the horse in hay and the kids in college.

judybigredpony
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
I will trade you all for any of your woes, not to go 400 days while my husbands in Iraq or Afghanistan. ALONE w/ 30 acres and 15 horses. Have only AM mucker (while I can afford her) .

How do I ride w/ no one around?? the miriade of things we do and cope w/ but know there is a lending hand or shoulder to help push the load. Fields to mow, fence to fix, tractors to maintain,vehicles to service, broken anything. Help just moving horses. Getting a cast horse up.
All now becomes a stratigic issue involving paying other people or waiting for someone to help you. No one wants to be a burden we all wish to be proud n independent keep our issues to ourselves.

I will trade a lame sick horse or not being able to go compete to keep my husband here.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
I will trade you all for any of your woes, not to go 400 days while my husbands in Iraq or Afghanistan. ALONE w/ 30 acres and 15 horses. Have only AM mucker (while I can afford her) .

How do I ride w/ no one around?? the miriade of things we do and cope w/ but know there is a lending hand or shoulder to help push the load. Fields to mow, fence to fix, tractors to maintain,vehicles to service, broken anything. Help just moving horses. Getting a cast horse up.
All now becomes a stratigic issue involving paying other people or waiting for someone to help you. No one wants to be a burden we all wish to be proud n independent keep our issues to ourselves.

I will trade a lame sick horse or not being able to go compete to keep my husband here.
Judy, you have just given all of us pause. When we feel like whining, we need to think of you and the rest of you who are sacrificing time with your loved ones so that we can remain free to enjoy our chosen life styles. The men and women in foreign lands and war zones working to keep us safe at home are beyond heroic. There are no words to describe them nor express our gratitude to you and yours.

mythical84
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:13 PM
It's so weird that you posted this today...I went out to the barn and got on my big horse, who has had nearly 18 months more or less out of commission (oh, bilateral hind suspensory surgery, navicular bursitis, and then, after the first post-rehab entry went in, kick in the butt and off for 6 weeks)...he is finally feeling normal. Not strong, but not broken.
The other one was happily covered in mud vacationing from his end-of-season move up to T this past weekend.

As I left, I had to stop and just say a silent "thank you" -- 2 sound happy horses, pets and family healthy. I know it doesn't last, and god knows I've been down in the ditch, so the least I can do is appreciate it when I'm on the up side.

Hang in there. Better days are bound to come, and they will be sweet.

What she said!

Everytime I go to the barn, I have to smile knowing that my Princess Lissell is going to be there. While it killed me to see her in such poor condition (broodmare lease gone horribly wrong), she's home now and for that I'm thankful. It may be draining me emotionally (and financially) to put her back together. But I'm thankful that at least she's recovering well. I started out in a dark dark tunnel, but I see a glimmer of light now.

And thus far, Harry seems to be adapting well to sharing me with his big sister. :lol:

Brown Horse
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:29 PM
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Cody
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:24 PM
And Judy if I lived close enough, I would come over to help you in a heartbeat! Where I live, it's just what neighbors do. We help one another.
And your husband and you are giving an ultimate sacrifice.

I won't even whine about my last 3 yrs. I know that there is another horse for me down the road.

Jleegriffith
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:38 PM
Judy, my hubby is also military and can go at any minute. I truly just try not to think about it but I can only imagine what that is like. Everyday I am thankful to have a partner who enjoys this lifestyle and helps with all the chores and keeps an eye on me when I am getting on all the young tb's. He does go away for several weeks at a time and boy am I happy to see him come home.

Can you reach out to the miltary community to see if any of the spouses want to help? I know around here the community is very close and many people are either retired or may not work full-time jobs so they have some time to help out.

judybigredpony
Nov. 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
And Judy if I lived close enough, I would come over to help you in a heartbeat! Where I live, it's just what neighbors do. We help one another.
And your husband and you are giving an ultimate sacrifice.

I won't even whine about my last 3 yrs. I know that there is another horse for me down the road.

Thanks to ALL...just my kleenex moment 13 days and counting to ship out.

Cody your a peach but about 23 hours away...but if you want a free horse, sound clean, jumps really well only 7 16H and can come get send me a PM.

Jlee didn't know you were in the same boat.
no Miltiary has no support unless you live on a base or get re-assigned.
I sold 2 properties bought the farm moved here w/ 2 moving vans my sister and 2 best friends for help. Made 3 round trips over 2 days to move 6 horses, mare n foal 4 dogs...cried 1st night couldn't find my toothbrush sheets or underwear...what I had gotten us into. :eek:
I shall survive, have new foals in spring to look forward to and new JRT puppy coming day after he flies out.
Life could be far worse, all horses fat n safe, sales horses moving out again slowly, and in 400 days my main squeeze will be home and its like honeymoon courtship all over again...till tractor won't start or plumbing breaks:)

mbdobbs
Nov. 15, 2009, 04:08 AM

Cody your a peach but about 23 hours away...but if you want a free horse, sound clean, jumps really well only 7 16H and can come get send me a PM.

I sold 2 properties bought the farm moved here w/ 2 moving vans my sister and 2 best friends for help. Made 3 round trips over 2 days to move 6 horses, mare n foal 4 dogs...cried 1st night couldn't find my toothbrush sheets or underwear...what I had gotten us into. :eek:
I shall survive, have new foals in spring to look forward to and new JRT puppy coming day after he flies out.
Life could be far worse, all horses fat n safe, sales horses moving out again slowly, and in 400 days my main squeeze will be home and its like honeymoon courtship all over again...till tractor won't start or plumbing breaks:)

Judy, where are you located?

pegasusmom
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:15 AM
Judy - you are not alone - my husband is (hopefully!) enroute home after his 17th tour in the middleast since 9/11. We only have 10 acres and six horses (and a 19 year old son who is proving himself to be useful). 32 years as a servicemember's wife has made me fiercely independant.

I always found it irritating that the Army would ship my boat, but not my horses. . .

Our end of season finale didn't happen this year - plans for Fair Hill and the 2*, move up to Advanced in the spring. The wheels fell off in August after a great spring (the second year in a row August has been a giant pothole) and we are thankful the most special horse in the world has fully recovered, looks better than ever and will be back strong next season.

retreadeventer
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yes, Judy, what can we do to help? That is what COTH seems to be pretty good at. You know, if you have a problem or a bad day, you ought to let us know. I bet someone can help! And if not at least to give moral support which is pretty important some times. I have a lot of horses to support, too, without much help, so I know how it is. Used to have a LOT more and used to work 18 hour days seven days a week, too - :)

RunForIt
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:36 PM

You now have SOOO many of us to lend a shoulder...to cry on, for support, and to help if we're nearby - truly, just give a wave of your hand, no shout needed. Truly. :cool: