PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Overseas

DQ Eventer
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:00 PM
Anyone have any experience shipping either to or from the UK? Which shipper did you use? Did you fly out of JFK or ATL? Good, bad or indifferent experiences appreciated.

Looking to ship out of the US, preferably ATL, in Feb 2010, to the UK. I have looked into IRT, Dutta Corp, and a few others.

Would love feedback, PM if you prefer not to post publically. TIA!

headsupheelsdown
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
Find a shipping agent that can help you through the process. They will know all the paperwork needed/required. I don't know anyone in GA, you could call a big local zoo and see who they use, or any big farms that ship in your area or even the USET?

Kanga
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:42 PM
I flew KLM over to Amsterdam then took a connecting flight on a cargo plane over to the UK. KLM can set that up for you. The nice thing about KLM is you can fly on the flight with your horse. They are in the back of the plane and you can go back and forth to see them. I had my horse fly back with FED EX out of Heathrow. Fed Ex will not let you fly with your horse but they did an ok job. They could have had better communication with me but the horse was safe. All of the flights that take horses, grooms are sent with them in case there is any trouble or horses needing anything along the way.

KLM can be a bit more expensive but I do think it is the way to go. Amsterdam is the hub in Europe of where many animals fly in and out of. There was just about every kind of animal there when we were there. The horses were rested in stalls for about 6-8 hours then flown to the UK.

It will be easiest for you to fly out of N.Y.

Good Luck!!

headsupheelsdown
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
A super video to watch is "When Horses Fly" by BC Cameron/CamWood Productions. Pretty much explains everything. KLM is the shipper they used in the video, I think....

Foxhall
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:37 PM
I recently imported a horse from UK. I used Peden Bloodstock and they were fabulous. The horse flew home on a plane w/ the American horses coming back from Burghley. Pedens are responsible for transporting horses all around the world to the Olympics, WEG's, Pan-Ams and other huge events. Truly top notch service and professionalism. They handle everything import, quarantine, travel once the horse has reached the destination, everything. The horse arrived happy and in a good weight. I believe the total bill to get the horse from farm in England to the farm in the US was around 10,000 :eek::eek::eek:

dogdays
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:33 PM
I second Pedan Bloodstock. Worked with them before and they were great. Mersant, I found them very difficult to work with.

MunchingonHay
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:29 AM
I am a HUGE Tim Dutta fan, very easy to work with, I was able to fly with my horses. The actual airplane service could be anyone, its the company that sets everything up that is important. I have flown with Luftansa and Air El Al. I prefer Luftansa. www.flyhfr.com
is also another shipper that knows his stuff.

Purple Danny
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:24 AM
Not sure why you are flying your horse to the UK..will it be a return flight, or are you moving over here?

Some years ago, when I relocated here for work I was able to negotiate a very good deal to have my horse flown over.

My advice would be to call around, maybe even starting with the UK agents. I phoned many agents both in the US and UK, told them all I was very flexible and in no hurry with no particular date in mind and eventually struck a great deal with a UK agent. (I was already in England)

I still have many of the faxes (this was 1996, so a few years back now) but I believe the agent I used is still in business. His price, in the end was half the price of Peden (I still have the letter from Peden saying he couldn't compete with the quote I had) And in the end, I was very happy with how it all worked out.

A few years later we again used the same agent when my mother bought a horse here and we had to fly it home. I remember that being quite a competitive price as well.

One thing I know helped on both occasions was that I made it clear that I was in no hurry, and could wait for the right circumstances if that would help.

For the first horse I waited some weeks before he told me he had room for a third horse on a pallet with two others who were travelling together on Air Canada from Toronto to Heathrow.

For the second horse, I waited again a few weeks before he could tell me about a big shipment that that was being arranged via DHL from Stansted to Newark, I think it was.

My experience was over ten years ago now, so who knows, might not be relevant anymore!

Good luck!

lightym
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:58 PM
I used Dutta last sep. they were amazing orgainized everything for me from the minute my horse left my barn until i met him at his new home in the UK. He arrived looking great I would highly suggest using them

quiet girl
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:26 PM
Another vote for Pedens. James Luck is fantastic.

www.silveroakflorida.com

BayHorseUK
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:34 AM
Just another vote for Peden's - I've tried other companies/agents but Pedens are unmatchable. Excellent service from start to finish from knowledgable people who genuinely care about your horse. Can't say enough good things about them...

outofafrica
Nov. 14, 2009, 08:36 PM
Yet another vote for Pedens. I shipped with them from London to JFK, and they arranged transport for my horse up to Maine. Great service, kept me updated the whole time.

DQ Eventer
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:06 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the info. How was Peden's priced compared to Mersants, IRT, or some of the other smaller bloodstock agents who coordinate shipping?

BayHorseUK
Nov. 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
Price was basically the same. I believe Pedens actually partner with Mersant for USA transport, but I would strongly advise contacting Pedens directly... smaller company, easier to work with, will give your horse personal attention and you won't be endlessly passed from one representative to another, as has happened to me with the larger companies. Peace of mind is worth quite a bit in these situations. Good luck!