PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Lease

thebp
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have someone interested in leasing my horse but they live in a different state. Is it a good idea to do this and what all should be in a contract? I am also not familiar with fees and what people are charging these days. Should the leaser get insurance or do I?
What is the best way to go about this so there is no confusion and my horse ends up somewhere good? Do we keep marketing him for sale?

Thanks

Trak_Eventer
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
I currently have a horse out on lease in another state. I was nervous about it, but it has turned out great. They pay for all the horse's expenses. You have to be very specific about how you want the horse to be taken care of, who can ride the injury, ect. Everything needs to be in writing. The people who are leasing are a friend of a friend kind of deal. I also stopped by to check on my horse a few weeks after she left. I would say check it out.

scubed
Nov. 11, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've done it several times, including currently. It is important to put everything into writing and if you don't know the person personally, to get references and do some due diligence on their riding background and horse care. But, I think it can be great and really broaden the opportunities for placing a horse.

deltawave
Nov. 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
I have also leased horses near and far and think it can be done with really good satisfaction on both sides. Crucial to put everything in writing--it doesn't need to be dense legalese that nobody can understand; the gist of it is that you want to spell out clearly what you expect from the person leasing your horse. (ie, how much turnout they get, how often they are shod, who can ride, how often it can be shown, etc.) It does no harm to be as precise as possible, but on the other hand you really can't dictate every little thing and part of that is getting a feel for whether or not the person leasing is knowledgeable and competent.

For example, if you spell out that your horse must only be fed hay in the BACK corner of the stall, must have only a RED salt block, and can only wear his baby blue blanket outside if the temperature is between 40 and 50 degrees but needs the GREEN one if it's 35 to 40 degrees and then only if the wind is not blowing, you're going to come off as a nut. :D On the other hand, having been both a lease-er and a lease-ee (I know there are more proper spellings of both) it's really helpful to have an idea what an owner expects and would like for their horse.

Clarity, communication, and an honest assessment on both sides as to what is expected will get you off to a good start. :yes:

3dayeventing
Nov. 14, 2009, 08:31 PM
In this market feed lease's are a dime a dozen. I would go through equine legal solutions for a contract. It is costing sellers hundreds or even thousands of $$$$ to maintain a horse sometimes it best to donate or lease the horse out!