PDA

View Full Version : Best waterproof, high necked turnout sheet

ayrabz
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:50 AM
---while I'll be re-waterproofing some, I still want to purchase one new one.
Waterproof is the most important thing---
I don't like the 'attachable' high necks, I like the all one piece ones...and I don't care if its open or closed front.
I prefer no fill, so I can layer and wash the under liners more frequently.
Please (!) recommend your favorites with that criterion!

trinityhill
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
I have a couple of the Weatherbetta Orican Freestyle high neck sheets and they are one of the few blankets/sheets that has lasted my play hard crew for over 3 years now! A few snags here and there and that is it, even with repeated blanket wedgies being given out by their buddies daily. The Bakers take a beating well too but they do not have the high neck version. I also tried the Weatherbeeta Landa hoping to get something a little cheaper, but it was shredded within a week...like almost everything else.

Arbitrary
Nov. 13, 2009, 06:06 PM
Curious - why don't you like the attachable necks?

Feel free to disregard, but IMO the Rambo Supreme sheet is by far hands-down the best waterproof turnout sheet. Worth *every* considerable penny. It rains a lot here, and Horse prefers to stand in the rain. Horse lives out 24/7. This sheet stands up to hard play, constant rain, mud, etc. I think the neck also pulls the sheet off Horse's withers - no rubs, ever. The neck is attached by 3 points of triple-velcro; it's really durable!

Romany
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:40 PM
Rambo Wugs - the high neck works well, and if you buy a regular Rambo rug and a neck cover instead, well, the neck cover actually stays in place, go figure. :)

onelanerode
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:15 AM
I've been quite impressed (so far, anyway) with the Rhino Wug Lite my mare has. It's the only high-neck turnout that doesn't slouch down by the end of the day.

She had a Weatherbeeta Orican high-neck sheet, but she's outgrown it now. I found that their sizes ran rather large ... she's a 74/75 in Centaur, Dover Northwind and Rhino/Rambo, but she was a 72 in this sheet. It still fits her lengthwise, but it's like a girdle around her shoulders. She's an Appendix. I think it would be a better fit for more TB-type horses, not chunky QH-type horses.

I like that the Rhino has some "loft" to it ... i.e., there's obviously some air between the inner liner and the outer layer, which isn't the case with the Weatherbeeta (mine has mesh inner lining). I felt that design would do better keeping her warm/dry on a wet, windy day.