PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep blankets from dinging the dryer and making awful noise?

kypeep
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:54 AM
I've got a wash-in water repellent for my blankets this year (actually, I will spray it on the outside only). The blankets then have to be dried in the dryer in order for the product to "set." How do you keep blankets from "beating up" your dryer as well as making so much danged noise? I've tried closing all that I could, taking off legs straps, etc., but certainly that doesn't take care of the noise. TIA.

Frank B
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:02 AM
Wrap socks around the buckles & tie them in place with cotton twine. Rubber bands are a BAD idea!

Don't ask how I know this.

LauraKY
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:23 AM
Wrap socks around the buckles & tie them in place with cotton twine. Rubber bands are a BAD idea!

Don't ask how I know this.

Agree. I use socks and secure with elasticized hair bands for washer and dryer.

MistyBlue
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:00 AM
I bought a plastic bag full of baby booties for $5 at a WalMart. They're thick and small and stretchy and fit perfectly over blanket buckles. :yes:

Guilherme
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:16 AM
Stuff them into an old pillow case.

Or you can buy a mesh "laundry bag" and use that.

If the rug is really big then take a old sheet and sew it into a bag. Make a "draw string closer" or just tie the end with a piece of twine.

G.

kypeep
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ya'll are brilliant! Thanks!!!

Tazzie
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:34 PM
I bought a plastic bag full of baby booties for $5 at a WalMart. They're thick and small and stretchy and fit perfectly over blanket buckles. :yes:

Great idea! I've done the sock thing but this would be much easier! Thanks!

blue&blond
Nov. 11, 2009, 04:30 PM
I wind up all the straps and then vet wrap them making sure to cover any metal.

Then I take more vet wrap and cover all buckles and all metal.

I really like using vet wrap because it's simple to remove after the blanket has been washed.

The socks and twine work OK too, but the vet wrap is easier to cover even the small little metal thingys. :D

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
I use one of the pantyhose/lingerie bags (or you can use an old pillow case) and then zip it up as tightly as possible, and put that in the back of the no ringer dryer.

enjoytheride
Nov. 11, 2009, 05:59 PM
Socks tied on with hairbands. Do not, however, use your boyfriend's white socks while washing your horse's pink sheet. It doesn't end well for the socks.

Thomas_1
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:17 PM
Well I never thought I'd see the day that someone couldn't figure all by themselves how to wash and dry a blanket!

Guin
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:24 PM
Well I never thought I'd see the day that someone couldn't figure all by themselves how to wash and dry a blanket!

The question was how to keep the hardware from damaging the washer/dryer....

socks and hair elastics.

mypaintwattie
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
ditto, old socks and stretched out hair elastics.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
C'mon Thomas - do you actually wash your own horse blankets? Those itty bitty British washing machines are so small.

mjrtango93
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:12 PM
Take it to the laundromat so that you don't care what happens to it! :winkgrin:

Grataan
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:15 AM
I take a 3/4" wide strip of duct tape and fold the metal buckles into the straps then tape them with the duct tape. To get the tape off I hook my finger into the top of the fold and with the other hand hold the strap and rip the band of tape in half then peel off.

This has the added bonus of preventing the hooks on the straps from getting caught/hooked in the little holes in the side of the washer/dryer

slc2
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
Use small socks, and buckle the straps, pulling the sock over the buckle after buckling, then you don't have to secure the socks with anything.

kypeep
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:22 PM
LOL, I never thought a simple question would generate so many responses! Thanks to everyone who replied - very helpful and will make the house ever so much quieter. Thomas - yes, I am all too familiar with blanket washing, but I needed a better method for drying. I've done the air-dry in the past, but the product I'm trying now requires "setting" with the dryer. Unfortunately, there are something like 15 turn-outs I need to do, so it would be a danged long and nerve-wracking day if I had to listen to that many blankets rolling around in my dryer:-)

By the way, the product I am trying is "All-Dri" concentrate. Has anyone ever used it successfully or unsuccessfully?