PDA

View Full Version : How to get bit guards on a 3 ring gag?

sublimequine
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
So, I have a bit that is similar to this:

http://www.tackroominc.com/images/143150sm.jpg

And I want to put bit guards on it, the stretchy and thin rubber kind. The velcro on and off ones that are neoprene are way too thick. I need something thin.

Can you fit the standard rubber bit guards over that bit? I'm not quite sure if it'll stretch enough or not!

(I'm a trail rider, but I see that bit most often in eventing so I figured I'd ask you folks. :) )

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
yes, I've put them on a 2 ring before. It'll take a lot of muscle and go slow but it works. I would also soak the bit guards in warm water first, it makes them easier to stretch

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
Most will stretch enough but is a bit of a PITA to get on. There are a few tricks...but basically, last time I did it (for a jumper) was to loop the bit guard on a bridle hook and pull a string through the loop. I then using the string to pull and expand the hole of the bit guard (i.e. the hook kept the bit guard stationary and let me pull the hole open).

It wasn't that hard but I'm sure that there are easier tricks.

sublimequine
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
Most will stretch enough but is a bit of a PITA to get on. There are a few tricks...but basically, last time I did it (for a jumper) was to loop the bit guard on a bridle hook and pull a string through the loop. I then using the string to pull and expand the hole of the bit guard (i.e. the hook kept the bit guard stationary and let me pull the hole open).

That's how I have put them on standard loose ring bits in the past, good to know that same method should work to stretch over a larger cheekpiece. :)

THere's some PINK and PURPLE ones I found that I reallllly wantttt... :D:D:D

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
make sure you buy and extra couple ones. I think I ripped one doing it.;)

sublimequine
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
make sure you buy and extra couple ones. I think I ripped one doing it.;)

Will do, maybe I'll toss em into boiling water and let em soak for a minute or two beforehand as well.. :lol:

deltawave
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
You can now buy nice, thin rubber ones that snap on and off without any added bulk or material. I have a pair, I think I got them from Valley Vet or Country Supply. They're perfect.

sublimequine
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:34 PM
You can now buy nice, thin rubber ones that snap on and off without any added bulk or material. I have a pair, I think I got them from Valley Vet or Country Supply. They're perfect.

I MUST FIND! :eek: <3

Got any idea what brand name? :runs to Valleyvet: :lol:

Gry2Yng
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:46 PM
I used hoof picks to stretch the bit guards over a three ring. It can be done.

deltawave
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:23 PM
Reinsman (http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=3BC9AED1-EB7A-42D7-B58B-E15BFFD8B7EF&ccd=IPG001&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=37740) is the name.

JumpingBug
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
warm them, buy the good ones (they cost more typically) use a screw driver and locking wrench and have two people... They go one easy then and less dangerous than a person with just a screw driver! LOL

sublimequine
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I REALLY appreciate it! :yes:

Geeka
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
I smear vaseline on the bit, then hook it to something sturdy and pull the bit guard over with a hoof pick. Good luck!

Pony Soprano
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
The leather kind also have slits in the side to pull on and off, although you do have to clean them regularly :winkgrin:

dexhol
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've gotten them on a three ring by letting them sit in boiling water, and smearing them with a little dish soap. The trick was to get baling twine, tie it to the bit ring, thread it through both guards and tie the ends off to a doorknob or something else secure. Then you can grab the guards, slide them down the string and over the bit, everything well contained. Have had easy success with this method. I do second the buying an extra set though! Good luck!

mjrtango93
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:30 AM
Also if you are still doing the pull on kind make sure you slide it over the end with the 2 rings first (the bottom of the bit), it gives you less to pull it over then the other way if that makes any sense.

SkipChange
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
Well maybe it's just me but I really had no trouble getting bit guards on my 3-ring. I start by putting in on the end with 2 loops and then stretch it across to the top ring. Pops right on no vaseline or boiling required.

ETA not just me, ditto to what mjrtango said.

sublimequine
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
Also if you are still doing the pull on kind make sure you slide it over the end with the 2 rings first (the bottom of the bit), it gives you less to pull it over then the other way if that makes any sense.

So I want to thread the "shanks" (for lack of a better term, I don't know if those bottom rings would be considered shanks or not) through the bit guard first, THEN stretch it over the largest ring and the top ring?

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
So I want to thread the "shanks" (for lack of a better term, I don't know if those bottom rings would be considered shanks or not) through the bit guard first, THEN stretch it over the largest ring and the top ring?

yes.

mjrtango93
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:46 PM

That is correct. Never had a problem doing it that way, and didn't need to even warm them up.

sublimequine
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:53 PM
Alright, thanks so much for all the help folks, I really appreciate it! :)

missamandarose
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:00 PM
Reinsman (http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=3BC9AED1-EB7A-42D7-B58B-E15BFFD8B7EF&ccd=IPG001&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=37740) is the name.

I want a pair of those... and I don't even need bit guards. How cool!

(lol...this is why horse owners are all poor... see something cool and *possibly* see a need for it just maybe eventually...)

purplnurpl
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:59 PM

I did this. But I tied two strings on. One tied onto the barns of the stall and one I pulled out to shove the bits rings through.