PDA

View Full Version : Automatic gate opener

nikki3
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Looking for opinions/ reviews and general information from anyone who has an automatic gate opener. We have a single gate, and would like to use an opener that runs on battery power. They seem like they may be more of a headache than their worth, but I would like to make opening and closing the gate more convenient.

Thanks!

Nezzy
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:26 AM
i think we had a Mighty Mule at the last house, but it did not run on battery, we had a long extension cord to the house. Arm swung out to open and shut gate. Never had a problem until a trespasser hit the gate with a snowmobile. And the problem was the gate itself, not the arm.

Bluey
Nov. 10, 2009, 03:03 PM
Mighty Mule are the low end type, but the better companies, like GTO-PRO have stronger systems.

There are basically two types, one that a hydraulic arm swings the gate/s and those that the gates slide on rollers, that cost twice as much, but are better, work in high winds and snow.

Most today have an option with a solar panel that charges a battery.

I would ask the companies in your area that install industrial gates, they can give you bids on different good, reliable systems.

All those systems have a fail safe, that you can unlock and still use the gate as a regular manual gate.

Those systems today have a key pad and a control like you use for a garage opener, that you can carry in vehicles.

Those gate openers are really nice to have, we will be getting one soon, I think.

Desert Topaz
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:17 PM
We've had an automatic gate opener for about a year and a half. It's the swing type, code pad on the road side, metal sensor on the inside, solar powered with a battery. No problems with it except for the metal sensor the professional gate people recommended and installed. They assured me that only metal the size of a car would open the gate, so the horses would not be able to get out unless someone opened the gate. Turns out horse shoes will open it. The owners manual (which I didn't get to see until after it was installed) specifically says "not for use with horses with shoes." I'm really pissed off and they won't return my phone calls and reporting them to the BBB didn't help. I'm glad I have the gate opener, but it has failed miserably at the task it was installed for (keeping my horses out of the road.)