PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Saddle for Under $500, Suggestions Please!

manyspots
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
In light of the fact I am sick of trail riding in my old western school saddle (plus the thing is heavy!) and it doesn't fit my gelding anymore I am pricing out trail saddles.

Leaning towards a more english style (no horn, just high pommel) and plan on whatever I buy being some or all synthetic. A deep seep (padded) is a MUST! :lol:

Gelding has average withers and no fit issues other than a wide tree is not his friend anymore. When he was younger he had a wide back and mutton withers but body has changed alot!

So I would like suggestions for "best ride for the buck" under $500! It's Equine Affaire weekend and I need shopping suggestions.

katarine
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
used Fabtron

I don't love the Abettas, they don't fit my seat bones.

sit in as many as you can.

PRS
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sensation-Trail-treeless-Saddle-with-100-wool-Skito_W0QQitemZ220508669358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item33575745ae

Here is one on eBAY right now. It is an english style treeless saddle and since I own one made by the same manufacturer I know this is a high quality saddle and I know how comfy it is for you and your horse. I love mine. I just did a 15 mile ride in mine Saturday and there was zero soreness for me or my horse. A friend uses one just like this one for competitive trail rides and always places high. In fact she was first place in her division.

Stay away from the Hilason Treeless saddles - in that case - you get what you pay for.

Simbalism
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:46 AM
I just recently purchased a Wintec 2000 all purpose saddle from Dover Saddlery for $499 which included the entire gullet set plus measuring device. It is pretty light weight and when I went foxhunting for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it rained the entire time, I was so glad I had a synthetic saddle so my leather one didn't get messed up.

AHorseoffCourse
Nov. 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
Used Thorowgood. I had one and it was great.

Leather
Nov. 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Until I got my treeless I used an Abetta Trinity endurance saddle.

http://www.buytack.com/products/saddles/act/20554.htm

It's got a super squishy memory foam seat and is lightweight.
Everybody that's tried it thinks it's comfy.

It's not exactly an English saddle, but there's no horn and it only weighs about 16 lbs.