PDA

View Full Version : Will size really matter? yes, HR-help me plan my outdoor!

equineartworks
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:13 AM
DH is going to start the new outdoor next week and the initial plan is 75 x 150. This is for our TR program but we enjoy riding too and hate to make it too small. It will be a covered pavilion (open air) style arena in the next couple of years.

Is 75 x 150 too small? We don't do anything more than local shows, and the kids do w/t/c. We will be having a end of session show four times a year too. I don't see us needing more in when using for personal enjoyment either?

I could go 100 x 200. But the bigger I go the more it is going to cost to cover of course, and it will cut into some parking and observation areas we have planned for the parents.

I'm glad DH is the primary contractor because if I had to work with someone else they would have fired me already :D:D

MissBri
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:11 AM
What about going 80x160? the extra few feet will make a big difference.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
I think the 75' is fine for the width, but if you can, go 200' long. That will really make a difference to how much room you feel like you have.

equineartworks
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. It's hard unless you are actually out there riding it to get the right feel. DH is going to mark everything out this weekend and we will walk it and ride it and see how it "feels". I will throw DH on a horse and walk him around on a mock lesson too. :lol:

If I go wider than 75' he will need to construct custom trusses for the eventual pavilion-roof. He said it would almost double the cost, but I can go longer. I will have him mark out 150 and 200. I think the 200 would be luscious :D

Gloria
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:05 AM
If cost is a concern, I would go longer instead of wider. 75' is enough for standard dressage arena (in case you ever want to try dressage). 150' is a bit short for me. If I were to re-do our arena, I would make it around 210' long. A standard dressage arena is about 198' long but you will lose some footage once you put the roof up.

equineartworks
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
I can do 210!

This is exactly what I was hoping for as far as feedback. I know that I will have regrets if we make it too small. But I don't want to make this HUGE gigantic landing strip that the children are going to feel lost in either. BUT! We grown ups would like to be able to enjoy it as well.

This is truly a multi-use type space and I know the kids would be happy with a 40 x 60. But since DH said yes I am going to capitalize on it for all it's worth! :lol:

equineartworks
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
I just thought of something as I typed that last statement.

Would a medium and small arena be better than one large arena? Although I guess it would be easy enough to divide a 75 x 210 if need be?

Bluey
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
I just thought of something as I typed that last statement.

Would a medium and small arena be better than one large arena? Although I guess it would be easy enough to divide a 75 x 210 if need be?

I have seen stables that start many colts with somewhat similar to what you are talking about.
They add a portable panels round pen on one end, so they can work loose horses or beginners in there, then go out on the main arena and ride there too
There is a space between the round pen and the arena walls, so you can trot or canter the whole lenght.

One like that is where our therapy group works out of.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
If it were me, I would make the one big (ginormous) arena and then just rope off the area that you'd like to use for the TR students. Good luck :)

Jsalem
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:46 AM
100 x 200 is the minimum I would go. You will never regret making your arena a nice size, but you will regret making it small. I see a lot of folks making the mistake of putting in a "cute little ring" to go with their "cute little barn." Your kids will improve, even if they're just beginners now. It's very frustrating to try to jump in a tiny ring. You really can't do courses. Go big!

monalisa
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:49 AM
My outdoor ring is 100 x 200 and I wish I had made mine even a bit bigger. I have not put jumps in the ring yet but I won't be able to jump a course in this size ring. Mine is a private barn, and I am thankful to have what I have, but bigger is always better. Go as big as you can afford. You won't regret it.

equineartworks
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
Jsalem and monalisa this is for our TR program, our kids and we only do WTC and some cross rails. And covering 100 in width eventually is just not in the budget.

I have to be nice to the hubs or he will quit as my GC :lol:

katarine
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:45 PM
75 by as long as you can reasonably make it :)

I couldn't go any bigger than 66 X 125 feet (it's just me riding, all flatwork, 99% of the time). I couldn't b/c of topography and money. It's fine for just me, but boy it's small. 20m circles are easy b/c I just arc off the long sides and split the distance tothe short sides-lol I cheat.

You don't want to work and maintain two pens- cordon off the desired shape with cones and PVC or use panels if you really want to cut it down for starting a horse, etc.

Enjoy-