PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these bloodlines re: endurance?

Jess!
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:25 AM
Horse I am probably going to look at :)

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/braveheart+w

Just from bloodlines alone...too many show lines to be a good endurance horse?

rmh_rider
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
The entire line of the sire is halter. Flat croup, light bone, hot temps. Ever seen Echomagnifficoo? I have, and in person in Enumclaw. He has a lovely almost horizontal set on neck. Very pretty. His cannons are thinner than the bones in my wrist.

The dam line has heavy halter on top, and Bask. Bask is hot. Bask had a club foot he passed on. But not bad on performance Bask. All the rest of this line is halter. Bottom of the dam lines are halter.

Halter does not equate to endurance imo. Pretty I bet. Pretty doesn't hold up on the hard work of trails. It is nice to have pretty. But a very durable horse is the most desirable.

There are exceptions to the rule.

I do have to say a few mares bred to Echo were very heavy bodied, heavy boned, and they produced a nice individual.

This pedigree is very very strong for halter. I don't think I see durability.

I have been into arabs, and have had arabs since the mid 80's. Have ridden endurance since 1990.

My current arab is a 51% CMK, 49% Egyptian. He has performance lines. Yes, he is pretty, and quiet under saddle. He is very stocky and very durable to hold up to endurance, trail, or whatever is asked of him.

Eddy's Mom
Nov. 10, 2009, 02:21 PM
Don't worry too much about bloodlines. I would look at the horse with an objective mind, see his attributes and his faults. There are plenty of people out there riding arabs with heavy show lines and do very, very well. If you are looking to be top FEI rider it is a different story. But for those who want to put in some miles and have fun on their pony, I think personality and mind are more important than bloodlines (that doesn't mean bad confo and good mind is a good choice, though).

There is a good thread here about evaluating an endurance prospect, read that, good info. Pay careful attention to his gaits, I think Brass was a top English Pleasure horse, which means lots of action and that is not good.

Otherwise, go look at him, just don't get too caught up in that gorgeous head he's sure to have ;-) Look at feet and legs first, don't compromise on bad feet!!

Jess!
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:49 PM
Thank you, I appreciate it! I'm thinking I'm going to pass on this guy, but not because of his bloodlines.

THanks again!