PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet last ride

evans36
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:18 AM
Today was my last ride on my OTTB - he's sold for financial reasons. I thought he would be my forever horse, but he's going on to a home that can afford him better. I thought today would really be not that much fun, because of all the emotions in this ride, but I got on and it was a beautiful fall day.

We went on a trail ride. Down the sandy dirt road I stood up to feel my horse's awesome trot, just bridged the reins and let him extend out, snapping his legs and swinging his back. He picked up a canter. Then a hand gallop, then a gallop. It was AWESOME. I figured, what the hell. I've never had the guts to really shorten up my stirrups and try to ride like a race rider, but I figured today was my last shot.

So I jacked my stirrups up as high as they would go, and I stood up, then squatted back down. My horse has been off the track for almost 3 years, but the minute he felt me in that position, he started to get antsy. Then I stood and clucked.

And he just WENT. Put his head down and just rolled like a train. This from an unfit 10 year old... it wasn't Zenyatta, but DAMN. My guy raced for 6 years, so he knew the drill and just went right back to it - it was like, "OK Mom, I can finally do my job now!" He even kicked his heels and gave me a couple lead changes. I can't stop grinning. I think my last ride on this horse was the best ever, because I let him go back to what he was bred to be!

I posted this on the racing forum because I lurk here, and I thought about COTH when I made the decision to jack up those stirrups. I am hooked on OTTB's, and now I know why!!

Thanks guys, for encouraging me and giving me the guts, eventhough you didn't realize you were doing it.

elsbet
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
Where is that huggie icon? Hugs to you!!!! i hope you will be able to keep tabs on him!!!

Polydor
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
aww sounds like a great last day. Hope you get to keep in touch with him.

P.

blue&blond
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:48 PM
Awwww, I got teary eyed reading your post.

What a great, last ride. Beautiful.

A wonderful way to say good-bye.

Zu Zu
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:07 PM
evans36 ~ What a wonderful last ride - you and your handsome gentleman enjoyed ! Thanks for sharing ! Thinking of you two and sending wishes for a smooth transition. Thoughts and prayers and of course Jingles ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic.

jengersnap
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thumbs up! I, too, hope you can keep tabs on this lovely gentleman.

BasqueMom
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:12 AM
How bittersweet! But what a wonderful memory. Here's hoping someday he can come back to you!

mortebella
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
How bittersweet! But what a wonderful memory. Here's hoping someday he can come back to you!

Amen to that! :sadsmile: