PDA

View Full Version : Ants! Infesting my trailer!

SkipChange
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:15 AM
Dang ants keep infesting my trailer! Does this happen to anyone else?? Sadly, my trailer isn't used frequently so the ants just move right in. The first time they infested the horse area, my friend cleaned them out and used the trailer that weekend. 3 weeks later the dressing room is crawling with them! Trailer is currently parked with the others off in the farthest, most inconvenient field near the woods. Should I ask to move it elsewhere or distribute some sort of ant repellent liberally around the trailer?

Poor trailer :(

McVillesMom
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:19 AM
Trailer, no.

Car, yes. :mad:

I can't really offer any suggestions, as I have yet to completely get my car exterminated. I am hoping that winter will take care of it. I can only say that I feel your pain!

winfieldfarm
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:00 AM
That's weird...why do you think they are so inticed by your trailer?

I think it would be easy enough to buy a pack of ant traps. Just like having to keep mice bait in your RV when it's sitting idle. They move in, very opportunisitic.

And ants are better than paper wasps. Every spring we have to clear out all the trailers of paper wasp nests before the first show.

SkipChange
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
I can't figure it out! There's no food items in there to my knowledge. There are some tack items stored in the dressing room so I guess I could clean it out. But they've never done this before and the trailer doesn't have anything new in it. Only thing that has changed is it's moved (very far from where we used to park). They kicked us out of old parking so they could save the convenient space for shows, and we do have a lot of shows.

vineyridge
Nov. 10, 2009, 03:23 AM
I parked a trailer in a grass field for a couple of years, and it was so infested with ants when I went to work on it, that I had to pull out all the interior AND the insulation.

I found that using an insect bomb did no good at all. I finally eradicated them with multiple cans of Black Flag ant, roach, spider spray.

Now I park over concrete in the farm headquarters or under a shed in bare dirt.

Laurierace
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
I had ants in my trailer this summer. They had built nests underneath the mats on the floor and on the walls. I sprayed ant killer in under the mats in both places and they haven't come back so far.

LauraKY
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
Try the ant gel. It comes in a tube like wormer. Works wonders. Put it where they seem to be coming in, of course in a place inaccessible to dogs/horses/etc. Ants take it back to the nest and it kills all the buggers off.

Tangerine Farmer
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:43 PM
I love Grants Kills ants.. is basicly a gel with boric acid in it. It comes in a little metal container with a hole for the darlings to crawl in and out. I found that it works best if I dig the gel out and plop it down on the ant trails.. a "little picnic" for them! It seems to be ant season around here... found them in bed a few days ago... on me! And spiders too.

They can return a few weeks later and feast some more, as it doesn't wear off like a spray. It can get dirty with the wind and stuff on it and the ants may reject it. Also if they are looking for protein not sugar this may not work.

You can make your own out of jam and boric acid too, for the big jobs.

I will have to look for the tube of jell! Sounds better than digging it out.