PDA

View Full Version : WINTER PLANS

Foxhall
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:59 PM
Winter is approaching... this only means one thing

ready the steeds, sharpen the clipper blades, pack the trailer, repack trailer, wave goodbye to all your friends seething with envy...

AND...

HEAD DOWN SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is everyone going this winter? Who are you training with? I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!!!!!!!

Beam Me Up
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'll be seething with envy with my fuzzy ponies at home in VA :-)

pegasusmom
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:13 AM
Staying right here at home! The YP is working on the dreaded circles with the big horse, now fully recovered from whatever it was that knocked the wheels off in August/September and getting my fancy black 4 year old Aussie filly started at some schooling shows.

I am finally doing something for ME and am learning to drive. I have just inherited a wonderful upper level pony who had fallen on hard times - as he rehabs he teaches and we are having a blast. My goal is to make it to a CDE in a year or two, and force the guys in my life to groom for me! :D

Tasker
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:43 AM
For now the plan is to work on my dressage with Kitty for the next two months and jump a bit with Sally Cousins on a once a week basis. If all goes according to plan, Kitty, along with a couple of the youngsters and 2 of my FEI dressage horses and I will head to Aiken to avoid the cold for a bit. We'll invade Sally's barn so I can feed my addiction to jumping on a more regular schedule and start competing in February.

But you know what they say about the best laid plans and horses...so we will have to see what happens.

elizabeth Callahan
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:48 AM
Ah Tasker - we'll make you a full convert yet!

Tasker
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:58 AM
I think you guys are well on the way....I walked my Novice course at Rubicon with an eye firmly planted on the Prelim stuff that I 'happened' to walk by! :lol: Since I've been taking Kitty over to TP every once in a while and jumping some of the more complex stuff under Ryan's watchful eye...and torturing Sally 2xs each week...well, Novice doesn't intimidate me much anymore! :D Kitty (of course) is happy to jump ANYTHING!

Flipper
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
I, too will be seething with envy & shivering the winter away in the indoor on my fuzzy pony. I'd entertained the thought of going south again for part of this winter (maybe Aiken, went to SP & trained w/ Denny for a bit last year), but my boy's been battling lameness/illness off & on this summer/fall & I think we just need to hang out & get well!
I might try to spend a few weeks with Sally Cousins this spring to get 'back up to speed'. I've never trained with her, but I've heard only good things about her as a trainer. Spring also comes to Pa. alot quicker than it comes to Mass....

SparklePlenty
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have considered going down for a week or two in March - but it depends on work and if i can get away for that long, money and if my hubby will let me. LOL

I am super jealous of everyone who gets to go south for the entire winter.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:02 AM
I'm in NC so I'll just be hauling over to SP for lessons all winter. Love living in the south.....

Jennifer

FlightCheck
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hopefully I'll be legging up the FatPaintMare, who has her final ultrasound on that check ligament next week!!!

denny
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
If you get to compete in a CDE, I will BRAID your pony!

There may only be 4-5 braids---

They may each be the size of your fist---

They may each point a different direction---

They may cause you to suffer ridicule---

But it will get done.

Denny

pegasusmom
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:42 AM
Denny!!

Oh Baby - you are on!! Andrew will be both crushed AND impressed that you have offered to cripple yourself on my behalf. This is a 13.2 pony, there only needs to be 5-6 braids!

And since I now have lots of time on my hands. . . :( Deb Branson and I are driving lots!

quietann
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:41 AM
ooooh, envy.

My winter plan is to re-learn how to jump, only very low stuff since that's all I am allowed. If all goes well, I should be able to handle a "baby" 2-phase by the spring. My mare loves to jump and she has calmed down a lot in the past year, so is not quite so quick and is more rate-able. I may never be able to take her X/C but we'll see.

yellowbritches
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:39 PM
Vernon and I are going hunting! :D I'm very excited, though also extremely terrified of something happening to him. BUT, I think he'll be great, and I've been threatening to do it now for two years. It will be SO good for him, too, as he is NOT a mudder and I want him to learn to deal with mud. I may be hunting as soon as Thursday of this week. :eek: He'll also get a little time off to chill, and we'll also be maybe making some trips for some jumper rounds to keep my new found skills sharp and some dressage shows to work on us both. We are also already signed up for a clinic with Kim Severson next month, which should be fun.

We are also supposedly going to Aiken at some point, but probably later in the winter (late Feb and/or March?). It was such a semi-disaster last time when we went for 8 weeks, I think we're going to stay home and wait to go a little later. I'm sure I'll be more than ready, though, considering how much I hate winter.

scubed
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:41 PM
My guy will go south and I will visit on weekends as work allows. He is luckier than I am :cool:

KellyS
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:56 PM
Pegasusmom--Welcome to the dark side...driving that is! :D Such a natural progression for eventers looking for a new thrill. And ponies are just the best...we always get the "well, when are you going to get a horse" question; our answer, "Why?" Ponies kick butt. :winkgrin:

We'd love to come down south this spring for a CDE; big "ifs" include if the weather up here allows us to condition in Jan/Feb (as long as we don't have a lot of ice we are okay) and whether we think our truck (my husband's first car!) will make the trip.

In the meantime, hoping to get my baby backed and started so I can dream of coming south one winter.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
No Florida for me this winter... BOOO

My horse will be as hairy as a yak since I can only ride on weekends now due to daylight savings, my work hours and lack of lights in my outdoor ring...

He's getting his shoes pulled for the first time since I've owned him and gets a real winter vaca.

asterix
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
I think I am in the "fuzzy ponies, indoor, shivering with envy" (oh, was that seething? I, personally, will be shivering) camp.

Every year I wish I could "visit" denny in SP but every year it doesn't quite seem to work out (see above post, $, time, husband)...

However, I have
1) one-just-moved-up-see-Ma! Training pony and
2) one-cross-our-fingers-finally-fixed last-seen-as-a-prelim pony

and the idea of prepping BOTH to be sound, fit, and ready to go at Training in the spring will keep me plenty busy at home this winter, no matter.

Having two sound and lovely talented horses means I am not allowed to complain even WHEN I am ice-skating across the 70 acre field trying to chivy them in for the farrier. Well, ok, maybe just that one day. :D

retreadeventer
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
Pegasus Mom, Denny and Third Charm - I hate you.....sigh.....Asterix, and anyone with an indoor....I hate you, too.....sigh......but here's the good news. I am back in the tack, after some healing time, and hope to be ready to hunt on opening day! Yeah! :)
I have been looking for some local schooling shows for the greenies but it doesn't look like there is much for dressage or jumper shows locally this winter. I hate to travel too far for schooling shows, so not sure what we will be doing once I am back in the swing of things and riding more.
I really wanted to try and get south this winter but more and more it is looking like work won't be too cooperative. Sigh again. This thread makes me sad. I feel like I ride alone all winter sometimes, except for hunting, which certainly saves our bacon! :)

cranky
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:51 PM
Mare is going to Aiken with trainer. I'll be left behind freezing in snow & ice-bound New Hampshire. Mare has a better life than I do.

deltawave
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
Mostly I will be going to work. :). I sell my soul for a little lighter schedule during show season, and in the winter the devil must take his due! I'm on call 5 of the next 6 weekends. :dead:

But since I have a new spotted toy to play with I'll be at my trainer's barn a LOT this winter. :D. No Florida for me, though, that's still a pipe dream. ;)

RiverBendPol
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
Going to Aiken. Cannot WAIT. Boyoboyoboy. The clay on our farm here in Maine freezes into giant leg-wrecking clods. When the sun hits them they turn to slick, slippery, humps of misery. We can't wait for sand, sun, friends. We'll be with Babette Lenna who is the next best thing! She's awesome. If you ever get a chance to ride with her, DO IT! Competing begins in February:cool::winkgrin:

bambam
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:42 AM
Earlier this year, I toyed with the idea of going down South for a week or so this winter but HRH's stubbornly refusing to heal ligament tear put paid to that idea (although hopefully it is finally healing now).
Instead I will spend the winter rehabbing HRH and hopefully (fingers, toes and other various body parts crossed) and stars aligning ever so slowly putting her back in work.
I will also keep playing with the horse-who-by-all-rights-should-be dead-not-undersaddle. He has hit a whole new level of things he can do even with the nerve damage in his shoulder so while he will never be a real event horse again, it is fun to see what he can do.

denny
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
To ice bound New Englanders, Maryland IS the south!

They would come in Feb with their bathing suits packed.

CookiePony
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm in the south already, but it's not Aiken or FL. So we will go to Aiken for a week or so in early March to jumpstart the season and do a HT. Jan and Feb will be lessons and practice at home to get ready.

bambam
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
To ice bound New Englanders, Maryland IS the south!

They would come in Feb with their bathing suits packed.
:lol::lol:
The 20 years I lived in New England have apparently been wiped out and I am now a weather weenie who thinks Maryland actually does have a winter and that it gets cold here- I used to scoff at that idea but no more- sad, I know :no:;)

Zu Zu
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:55 AM
WOW ~ How great it would be to be headed south - instead we are "buttoning down the hatches" for WINTER ~ that 6 letter word ! Have a grand time !

jpalisades
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:17 AM
Working on improving stadium so we're hitting the indoor jumpers this winter. Although I am thinking about going to Aiken (saving money now) for a week or two in Feb or March.

subk
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
No going south for the Young Prince as he needs to learn to jump first! Small details...but the time is drawing near, and I have a vision of gymnastic exercises for our winter fun.

StrawberryFields
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:29 PM
No heading south for me (though I wish I could!!). I will be staying right here on the Eastern Shore going to school and taking weekly lessons. blahh

It'sintheMomBag
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
Looking for accommodations - 2- 3 bedrooms; must allow for one wonderful dog, for 6 weeks (Feb. 1 to mid-March). Modest budget. No horse accommodations needed. Please PM me with suggestions. Thanks.

rp4241
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone-

I'm organizing a week long clinic with Bonnie Mosser in St. Matthews, SC. Its about an hour from Aiken. If you don't have the time or $ to commit to a long trip south this might be your perfect option! And you won't have to worry about stabling or housing, etc.

The clinic is January 12-17. If you are interested I can send you more information.

Thanks!
Rebecca@bonniemosser.com

4Martini
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:24 PM
After I foal in about a month I will spend my winter convincing my horse that he is in fact not permanently retired. I think he's going to be a little grumpy.

I look forward to reading the adventures that the rest of you have!

mkevent
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
For the "misery loves company" set-

I'll be here all winter,tromping around and complaining about it,wearing ski bib overalls and looking like the barn equivalent of a bag lady!

I've resigned myself to the fact that my season doesn't start until June and ends late fall (if my guy manages to not find a way to hurt himself!). My instructor goes south for the winter so I spend alot of time alone to really ingrain those bad habits!!

To keep my sanity, I only aim to ride 3 days a week and not at all if the footing is frozen(no indoor). South Jersey winters aren't too too horrible compared to other places but I still love warmth and sunshine and miss it terribly!!

To all of you going south-have fun!!!

Auburn
Nov. 12, 2009, 07:19 AM
We are thinking about going in late February. My dressage instructor has a student who has a place there (and a stall for Tess). Now, I just have to find us a place to stay and we will be set to go.

Of all of the Spring events in Aiken, which is your favorite?

blackwly
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'll be riding here in the sleet (since the sleet always comes sideways, entering the covered arena, making the footing in there worse than the outdoor, leaving me to ride IN the sleet in the outdoor ring, makes tons of sense really) and trailering to Poplar/Pine Top for individual shows where it is likely at least once to be snowing. Fun! But Tennessee is nothing like New England so I really have nothing to complain about.

Flipper
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
After I foal in about a month

Yikes!!!:eek: Good luck with that!