PDA

View Full Version : Hind Boots in XC

LSM1212
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:01 PM
Are hind boots for XC really necessary for the LL's (BN and N)?

Eventer55
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:11 PM
Here's my opinion FWIW and I'm no expert. I put front and hind boots on my horse even if I go out for a quiet hack. If I tally up all the money I spend on lessons, trailering, and competitions, not to mention when I go xc schooling on my own and all the other various things I spend money on; do I want to risk the odd ball squirrel spook, car back firing and my horse decides to step off the road into a ditch resulting in 12 stitches.

Not me. I plan on hunting after my last event and so boots go on every time.

Janet
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:22 PM
I only use boots if I have studs in.

Allagash's mom
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:45 PM
I use them but if you have a capable horse, they probably aren't *needed*. But there's always that what if.... and all it takes is scrapping the front of the hind cannon over the top of the fence to lose a LOT of hair and skin.

retreadeventer
Nov. 9, 2009, 06:43 PM
Using boots should not have to do with what level you are riding, but what kind of a jumper your horse is. If you're unsure, or if he's the kind of mover that might wack himself on a jump, for heaven's sake, protect him!
I have learned the hard way to protect my horse's precious legs even if walking out the barn door (anything can and does happen.) I even had back boots on him once, to do a XC round, but sweat made them slip down, and I didn't re-adjust after warming up, and he got in close to a jump and banged his hind leg and cut it just above where the boot covered the cannon bone - if I had taken the time to reset the boots he'd have been fine. I'm a boot proponent, mostly because I have had the math pounded into me - $50 pair of boots CHEAPER than $400 vet bill for stitches and 4 weeks off....

eventingismylife
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:01 PM
For any level going cross country I think that boots are a necessity, and bell boots are usally a good idea too. But anyways back to the issue at hand- cross country jumps are s-o-i-l-d so even if you horse just brushes up against it while going over your likely to have some hair missing. Not only do they protect while you are jumping, they help protect against a stumble that may happen while galloping cross country. Like retreadeventer said, in the long run it is much cheaper to buy the best pair of boots you can afford for your horse (front and back) than have a little miss hap while riding that will cost you financially and maybe your competition season.

JumpingBug
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
NO they are not NEEDED for BN and N unless you have a horse who brushes or interferes behind. I guess they can protect from splinters or what not but for the most part I might throw on the jumping hind stadium boots but I really do not boot up the BN and N horses to a extreme. Bell boots are used on those that need them but that is rare unless we are using studs in and in california we do not have to use studs really and NOT for Bn and N.
Everyone has their opinion but go with what you feel you need. Certainly you do not need expensive boots. :-)

LSM1212
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
Great! Thanks for the info. I always put front boots and bell boots on when we go XC schooling, etc. But my guy lives in bell boots so that's a given. I've put the front ones on as if he is going to tap something, he does it with his front end. But was just wondering if hind boots were necessary as I've seen alot of the LL riders in my area only have front boots on.

Eventing is new to us and we just started dabbling last year but have been sidelined this year because of my horse's colic surgery. My goal is BN and possibly N at some point much later down the road! I would say my horse is a pretty good jumper. He hasn't knocked any of the jumps on XC as of yet. But we are doing weenie stuff he can step over (Starter division... 2') LOL

But I'll look into getting a set of hind boots. I checked out the other thread to get some ideas on good boots. Currently, I've been using the Woof boots but I don't really like them (too hard, IMO).

Eventer55
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:37 AM
A few years ago I was at an event going BN. I was putting studs in when a friend of mine asked me what I was doing. I said "putting in studs." She said "why, that's ridiculous you don't need them!" I said "because when my horse goes prelim, I want to know my way around a stud box and hone my skills at putting them in."

Doing something is the only way to get really good at it and find out what type of widget you like and what works for you and your horse.

You may not NEED boots, but wouldn't it be better to have them on when you need them, than to pay a vet bill?

Lone
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
I always use boots all around, my mare is a tidy jumper, but she's still young and learning. It only takes a few moments to put them on, for me it's one of those things where I'd rather be 'safe than sorry'

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Always front boots for xc. Only back boots if they are shod behind. Only bells if they are known to over-reach or if they are wearing studs.

GotSpots
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
Most of ours get boots all the way around whenever they go XC - I figure it's worth the extra two minutes it takes to put them on, and I'd like to protect against them banging themselves if I can, though knowing no boot can really prevent everything. Preliminary and up (and the occasional Training horse with a nervous rider) get Nunn Finers or NEWs or other boots with a tendon guard. The Novice horses and many of the training ones get Woof boots or the Nunn Finer galloping boots. Bell boots on an as-needed basis, though most anything that wears studs will get them. Make sure your boots fit well!

Janet
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
It depends on the horse.

But for SOME of them, I WANT them to get the "feedback" when they are sloppy and hit the fence.

LSM1212
Nov. 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
It depends on the horse.

But for SOME of them, I WANT them to get the "feedback" when they are sloppy and hit the fence.

That's how I feel. I also come from Hunterland (and not Eq) where boots are not allowed. But the jumps also come down. My horse can get lazy from time to time and doesn't care all the time if he knocks a fence especially when the poles are PVC. They don't always come down, but the "tick" is clearly heard. Hence why I don't normally school in boots. I want him to feel it and not do it again. But it always seems if he knocks a rail, it's with his front end only.

But I do put boots on him in the front for XC schooling/shows since those aren't as forgiving and I don't want him to hurt himself. But I have yet to put boots on in the back. So far, no issue. But it just got me thinking that once we start jumping some real XC jumps with some height and different structure, that hind boots might be needed. But at our current level of Starter... most of the XC jumps are small logs and coops. LOL

I don't want him to rely on boots too much and then start thinking, "Hey, that didn't hurt so I'll just keep smacking them". But I also don't want to put safety to the way side either.

I have the Woof boots (single lock) but I personally don't like them very much. Any suggestions on a better more slimfitting/molded boot that won't cost me a fortune?

kt-rose
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
My LL event/hunting horse only hits a fence if I do something stupid, he deserves boots :lol: !! But I hate bell boots jumping, I know they are necessary sometimes but I've seen a few horses trip on even well fitted boots...