PDA

View Full Version : Racing QT's and Slaughter

FancyASB
Nov. 9, 2009, 02:48 PM
Is there anywhere to find out the statistics of how many racing QT's end up on the meat truck? Friends of mine are into racing QT's have lost two in the last two years; one to a broken leg and one to a leg injury infection both at the age of two. Their third horse at the age of three has been retired to stud before something happened to him. They think they are going to make money breeding him and making lots of babies. I want to present facts to them to hold off making lots of babies until the economy and market for horses improves. Naturally where the horse is located in New Mexico they are told to breed and breed some more. I can't tell them not to breed him but can present facts to them for a informed decision. There is so much information about the TB's going to slaughter but I haven't seen anything about racing QT's.

Laurierace
Nov. 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
I am going to guess that by QT you are referring to quarter horses. If so the last statistics available showed that when you added in paints and appaloosas with quarter horse blood that quarter horses made up 85% of the horses slaughtered that year. There are no statistics anywhere that break down the breeds by the discipline they were used for before they were slaughtered.

SleepyFox
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:03 PM
I think the reality is that unless the colt has a very impressive record, people aren't going to be beating down their door to breed to him so you don't have to worry about lots of foals.

If they plan on breeding a lot of their own mares to him, a better argument than slaughter figures might be to just show them sales results from sales like Hertiage Place, etc. from this past year - highlighting the results of horses by unproven stallions with similar credentials to theirs. I'll bet they aren't pretty.

NM pays stallion awards for QHs? The only way they will make money that way is if the foals race. And, if they already have racehorses, then they know how expensive that is. Are they really prepared to run these foals or do they really think someone else is going to take on that expense for them?

Of course, I'm assuming by the tone of your post that this colt was not a superstar.

FancyASB
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm not familiar with QT horse breeding all I know is he never lost a race. I do not know how many starts he had. His full brother was the one that broke his leg at 2; he didn't lose a race either. I just think they have stars in their eyes and don't realize the realty of the horse industry now. The colt is only 3 but they are being pushed to breed him a lot in 2010. I'll look into past sales, if the selling prices are low which I will assume they are hopefully that will turn them off for awhile.

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
Have you tried the AQTA?

FancyASB
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
My mistake I thought he won all his races, that was his brother that died. My friends just sent this to me: http://www.losalamitos.com/laqhr/stories.cfm?id=5534 I'd like some feedback about him: is he breeding material, is $1200 a low stud fee, etc, etc before I say anything about making all these babies I want to have my facts straight. Do they allow embryo transplant in the QT association? At this time they do not own any mares. What is AQTA?

Piatt Farms
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
I knew one of the Moores out here had a good racing stallion, GOLD MEDAL JESS, and googled him. His stud fee is 3K and he's a G1 winner.
http://www.stallionesearch.com/show_stallion.asp?horse=433
$1200 is probably low to mid range given his career.

Laurierace
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:30 PM
I don't claim to know anything about quarter horses but I must say this thread is the first time I have ever seen them referred to by the abbreviation QT. QH yes. And their registry is AQHA.

SleepyFox
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not a QH expert, but based on that article you posted, he deserves to stand at stud and they have a realistic fee for him. He is well bred both top and bottom and they quote one of the best known QH trainers as being impressed with his breeding. He's a multiple graded stakes winner with respectable earnings.

When I first read your post, I assumed this was some medicore stallion with a poor race record and owners with big dreams. But, I was mistaken. I can't see any reason why this horse shouldn't be at stud. I'd wish your friends well and be done with it.

danceronice
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
Reading the article, I agree with SleepyFox. This is by all appearances a quality horse with multiple graded wins. As long as he retired sound, I don't see why he shouldn't be bred.

FancyASB
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm worried about the babies ending up going to slaughter since there are so many selling for under $100 at the auctions. I live near TB Friends rescue and see all the TB's that aren't fast enough being thrown away and end up at auctions and feedlots here in CA doomed for the meat truck to Mexico. Luckily TB Friends can save many but...so many end up on the trucks. Up to yearlings the horses are a delicacy because their meat is still white and overseas markets pay top dollar for them. I guess I'm too much in a rescue mode when I see so many babies at the auctions good and bad breeding and race horses thrown away.

SleepyFox
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
I guess I'm too much in a rescue mode .

Yeah, probably. :)

I wouldn't worry about this too much. It's doubtful that any of his foals will wind up at stockyards auction as babies and if they do it was due to weird circumstances. People are just going to have too much money invested to toss them away for per-pound prices unless something is very wrong with one or some other emergency situation.

Remember that most horse sports need a foal crop each year to continue to function. Racing is one of those sports. We need foals born each year to keep going and this stallion looks like a horse that could make a positive contribution.

FancyASB
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
With that attitude no wonder there are so many Quarters and Thoroughbreds at the auctions and on their way to slaughter. Too many horses being bred and owners dumping them with no regard of their fate. I'll stick to rescuing horses not breeding more...

jenm
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:52 PM
With that attitude no wonder there are so many Quarters and Thoroughbreds at the auctions and on their way to slaughter. Too many horses being bred and owners dumping them with no regard of their fate. I'll stick to rescuing horses not breeding more...

Well said. I recently saw an article that broke down statistics on the breeds most often sent to slaughter:

1. Thoroughbreds
2. Quarter Horses (It's no secret the AQHA supports slaughter)
3. Arabians

While this studs babies may not end up going to slaughter, what will happen to the ones who don't quite cut it on the track?

I have a lot of respect for the breeders who are careful and will say they will take back any horse they have bred. Maybe your friends will be this type of breeder!

Bluey
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:53 PM
The past 15 years or so barrel racing has become a very large sport and, for what race trainers tell me, practically every horse at the track that doesn't keep racing is looked up by several barrel racing trainers.
Most go on to become barrel racers at some level, hoping some make it to the 1D level, that brings the most money.

So, that may be why there are not many OTQH available out there right off the track.
I don't know how many of those make it then as barrel racers and what percentage don't.

QHJockee
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
Barrels, roping, cow work, hunter/english events, jumping...OTQH are well rounded and excel in all of the above!