PDA

View Full Version : tack cleaning questions

bbbkmc
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
Okay, a new horse came in with some nice but not recently used tack. The reins are melded to the bit, I can't pull or pry them off the stud hook thingy (brain freeze on correct term!). Any ideas of how to oil or soften? This is a thick foxhunting bridle.
Also, any ideas for storing tack so it doesn't get dry and/or moldy? Like all the small pieces, cheek pieces, browbands, converters etc. Would tupperware keep the mold out?

mjrtango93
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
So if they are that stuck on there I would probably soak the rein connectors in warm water with a bit of lysol for 5 minutes or so to soften and kill the mold, then take the bridle apart. Dip each piece for about a minute in that warm solution, then clean and oil each piece as you normally would. That should kill all that is growing, then normal clean and condition to get it nice again. As for follow up, if the bridle isn't going to get used, take it home. The insulation and climate control of a house will keep it from doing that. If it gets used but only occasionally you can clean the entire bridle then spray real light and quick with lysol, just clean it every use before spraying to put away. If the bridle is used daily a quick wipe down should be enough so this doesn't happen.

winfieldfarm
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:01 PM
wow, that sounds pretty stuck. If you get it apart, I would do a thorough check of the leather for cracking or deterioration because it may not be a safe bridle any more.

I have found the best thing for tack is a temp controlled tack room with a dehumidifier.