PDA

View Full Version : Would you run back-to-back days?

hopefultb
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:01 AM
I am torn about the weekend of the 21st and 22nd.

Long story short, Waredaca is now on the 21st and Full Moon is on the 22nd. Both are starter trials and we are going Beginner Novice. Would you run your horse both days or just pick one?

I need to make a decision soon and I just can't commit!:confused:

Couture TB
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
I know quite a few people that do. There is or use to be one event that was called Back to Back days or something like that. They made sure their horses were fit enough for it and didn't have any soundness issues. So if it were me with a sound fit horse then I would do it.

asterix
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
No.
Unless your horse is a fit been-there-done-there packer, in which case it would probably be ok.

If BN is a fair amount of work for him, physically OR mentally, then I would think it would be like asking a more advanced horse to do a level he's comfortable with twice in one weekend. Which I wouldn't do.

scribbles
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
Personally, no. But if you had a very fit horse, you could. But still there is so much more that could go wrong if you did both trials, so I think my recommendation personally would be to pick just one.

Catalina
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:18 AM
How fit and sound is your horse? How fit are you? It isn't the best idea in the world to go two days in a row, but, having said that, I am certainly guilty. Last year I took Connor BN at Loch Moy short course, then did Seneca BN the next day (the only reason I did the short course was because I was in the lead for the series award). Connor was perfectly fine and had no issues because of going two days in a row.

hopefultb
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. That was just what I needed to hear! I know my boy is fit physically, but mentally it might be an overload.

You guys are the best!

pday09
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
FMF just sent a message:
"Since Waredaca has moved to November 21 we are combining with them to offer a special prize for those hearty enough to ride in both events. Your Waredaca score and your Full Moon score in the same or an adjacent division will be combined. The lowest total score in each division will win 2 free Horse Trials entries for 2010 – 1 at Waredaca and 1 at Full Moon."
In case that interests you. :-)

hopefultb
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you so much for thinking of me when you got that e-mail!

That has been on their website for about a week and that was what started my wishy-washy thoughts. I REALLY want to run both, but to be fair to my boy I'm going to control myself and just do FMF.

inquisitive
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:57 AM
You could do the pipe opener at FMF this weekend and then the starter at Waredaca next weekend if you're interested in getting to both venues...