PDA

View Full Version : North American Thoroughbred Society

Eventer55
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:59 AM
Should I join and why. Besides the awards program can any member tell me the benefits. I read the membership info and that there was a dressage scholarship last year, but what else?

Yes, I compete a Tb and would like to hve another at some point.

Brandy76
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:04 AM
What would everyone think of a comprehensive tb sport horse association? Or is this what the North AMerican Tb Association is?

I'm thinking breed shows, a logo, yes!, and other things. Have USEA, USDF, Hunters, Jumpers, etc, have a TB only class/division, sponsored by this TB Association.

I was brainstorming with a friend about this the other day. Not to step on the existing organizations' toes, but maybe really an organization with more visibility? to showcase the breed more? Tie it in with educational programs, connections with CANTER, RERun, LOPE, etc.

Maybe I am talking about an OTTB Association!?

Eventer55
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:38 PM
How about and organization that registers Thoroughbreds and allows AI?

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:55 PM
I second the need for a TB logo.

missamandarose
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.mightythoroughbredclique.com/

:yes:

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:08 PM
There has been a group of us associated with Tbs after the track, including rescues, horsemen, etc that want to see a national marketing campaign started, with a website with links to rescues, success stories about OTTBs whether they are trail or Olympic horses, etc, retraining tips, etc etc---BUT none of us has the time to get it off the ground.....I am going to see if maybe TCA would take this task on....

and yes, a logo and slogan are needed, but I don't think we need AI.......sorry.

patterson
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:47 AM
Somewhat OT ( no pun intended, ouch!)--but maybe COTH could have a separate forum for OTTB issues/inquiries/fans? I know I'm always searching multiple threads to pull out relevant info, and I'm not sure where to post to find, say, someone who works with OTTBs around NJ or NY; what to do about particular post-track training issues, weird body quirks, etc. There is such a wealth of information on COTH and I always watch for posts from JleeGriffith, Leighton Farm, Mapleshade, Ishi, and of course BeverlyAStrauss...but I'd love to have it all in one place!

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
How about and organization that registers Thoroughbreds and allows AI?

Wouldn't that be nice....:yes:

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hey, I'm a child of the 80s, ET and all...

Sorry...what's AI?

AI=Artificial Insemination

danceronice
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't that be nice....:yes:

Not for me. If I wanted something I can't register with the Jockey Club I'd buy a quarter horse grade cross (so long as it's HYPP and HERDA negative--thank you, AQHA, for perpetuating THOSE bloodlines and making sure anything with QH blood might be a walking time bomb.) TBs are racehorses first, everything else second, and I wouldn't join an organization or register an OTTB with one that supported diluting the breed with AI. (Or buy a non-JC Thoroughbred for any purpose. Heck, I won't even buy an OTTB without its papers.) Or actually buy a TB bred specifically for any purpose besides racing or chasing. The last thing I'd ever want is a way to turn TBs into warmbloods with smaller butts.

missamandarose
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
re: the logo HollysHobbies...

I agree they look a bit like crosses, but I think they are (supposed to be) more reminicent of a fleur de lis-type design. Somewhere on the website I think they talk about how they came up with the design and why they used each image... or I could be dreaming that... ;)

subk
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think it's a mistake to only focus on OTTBs. There are a few sport bred TBs and the OTTBs should piggy back on their success! In fact it's breeders understanding the importance of the TB blood in their fancy WBs that's a big part of the key in regaining the lost respect for TBs in sport. The "Holsteiner" that just won Pau**** is 93% TB blood, yet hop over to the Breeding Forum and the only thing folks care about is the other 7% and the pretty brand name. As long as the WB folks aren't appreciating the full TBs and their contributions it's going to make it that much harder.

The first thing I wish a Sport TB group would do is send out e mails to upper level riders and ask them to post on their sites the track name or pedigree of the TBs in their lineup. Researching TB blood is next to impossible and it would be a big help if riders would publicly recognize what it is they have!

patterson
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:16 PM
SubK--didn't mean to suggest a unique focus on OTTBs at all, that was just something else I'd been thinking about. Didn't mean to confuse the issue. I'm all for any and all TB's! (OK, my SO would say I'm for anything with four hooves and a tail!:D)

Eventer55
Nov. 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
Not sure how my AI comment got derailed, I meant it would be nice if I could breed to say A Fine Romance or Sea Accounts or choose a horse from out of my travel realm. Since I have to do live cover I am in a tiny gene pool. I want a registered Tb, I did not want a diluted Tb crossed with something else.

I want papers and I love my Tbs. Does this make sense?

Neets
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:47 PM
I've never really understood why you can't AI one TB by another TB. It seems incredibly old-fashioned to require live cover. People who can't afford to haul their mares 2,000+ miles to get the stallion they want are just SOL? I understand not wanting to dilute TBs into "warmbloods with smaller butts," but I don't see how AI would automatically cause this.

It seems like something I vaguely remember from geometry... A always equals B, but B does not always equal A...

Chall
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:24 PM
IMO not allowing AI was the smartest thing the JA ever did. But Im not a breeder, so I see that point of view. Live cover keeps a whole world of people employed, land preserved and shipping rates/stabling costs down. A large section of the horse world (TB breeders) need all those services and at reasonable rates. Live cover means large farms, with capacity for mares and foals. It limits the supply and increases the worth of foals.
I think its helped sustain TBs and allowed other horse owners to benefit from the industry.
Thats how I see it anyway.

Eventer55
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
IMO not allowing AI was the smartest thing the JA ever did. But Im not a breeder, so I see that point of view. Live cover keeps a whole world of people employed, land preserved and shipping rates/stabling costs down. A large section of the horse world (TB breeders) need all those services and at reasonable rates. Live cover means large farms, with capacity for mares and foals. It limits the supply and increases the worth of foals.
I think its helped sustain TBs and allowed other horse owners to benefit from the industry.
Thats how I see it anyway.

Not trying to start a wreck, but can you splain to me how live cover preserves land and employs more people than AI? And why do you need "large farms" for live cover and not for AI? Do AI horses not get turned out and who do you think collects the semen, handles the stallion for collection, teases the mare and what about the vet that comes to the farm for the procedure?

What about mares and foals that are bred through AI where do they get turned out? The largest farm I visited with mares and foals was a WB farm with tons of horses all turned out with tons of workers and people employed:confused:

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:45 AM
I hate to see this thread derailed into a debate on AI.......or OTTB vs TB, I dont think the "OT" part is a requirement.....

The JC did start a Performance Horse Registry for TBs which then morphed into performance horses and got lost....there are a lot of good, smaller, fragmented efforts but we need a strong national plan with branding (going back to my MBA days combined with love for all things TB---NOT talking about branding as in branding iron or freeze branding)- this could bring all of these other efforts together.

There are some good people who want to get this off the ground, many regular COTH contributors.....I will see what I can do to maybe jumpstart this again- most everyone is so busy with their own horses/lives, it is hard, and we do not need to do it half a$$ed.

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:48 AM
Not sure how my AI comment got derailed, I meant it would be nice if I could breed to say A Fine Romance or Sea Accounts or choose a horse from out of my travel realm. Since I have to do live cover I am in a tiny gene pool. I want a registered Tb, I did not want a diluted Tb crossed with something else.

I want papers and I love my Tbs. Does this make sense?

Yes, it absolutely makes sense. We don't want to "dilute" our TB's either or "turn them into warmbloods with smaller butts".

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
We presented the MidAtlantic Horse Rescue Trophy for the highest placed American TB at the FHI two star- St Barths won both the 2* and our trophy- hooray! But his rider didnt know his breeding or race record, just his registered name (Red Track Shoes).......

kbbarn
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
I would love a TB ( or OTTB) logo. I have found the PHR and the TASR online. Just recently found the North American TB society - have been thinking about joining.

retreadeventer
Nov. 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
I hate to see this thread derailed into a debate on AI.......or OTTB vs TB, I dont think the "OT" part is a requirement.....

The JC did start a Performance Horse Registry for TBs which then morphed into performance horses and got lost....there are a lot of good, smaller, fragmented efforts but we need a strong national plan with branding (going back to my MBA days combined with love for all things TB---NOT talking about branding as in branding iron or freeze branding)- this could bring all of these other efforts together.

There are some good people who want to get this off the ground, many regular COTH contributors.....I will see what I can do to maybe jumpstart this again- most everyone is so busy with their own horses/lives, it is hard, and we do not need to do it half a$$ed.

Me too, on all of the above, Bev, I am another proponent of a comprehensive national program involving all aspects. However, having been a start-up manager in the past for several similar projects, the amount of time involved isn't going to get anyone excited about doing this for free. If, somehow, funding $$$ could hire the right person, set up a website, and at least pay part of the operating costs, I think you could get a really good start on things. It would easily be a three-quarters to full time job for one person and two part time jobs for two people, with fundraising be a part of that effort. So that is why it probably hasn't gotten off the ground to date. Too much to do on a freebie basis, I bet.
Sigh. What a dream job! :)

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
I totally agree that running this would not be a volunteer position- it needs to succeed and be done right- the tentative "supervisory board" of TB people (without egos or agendas, just the love of the breed) that I have connected with would gladly volunteer their oversight - the company that did our site would design/maintain one very inexpensively- I think the real cost would come in hiring someone to promote it-we have investigated that as well- this is not impossible, we just need to secure the funding- I am now trying to figure that out. At this point, our main thought is a website where all things TB can come together- whether you want info about training, places to adopt, buy, find orgs like NATBS or forums like COTH and Ex-Racers, see pedigrees etc of successful TB sporthorses, tell stories about YOUR TB, etc- but with a logo and branding....Any ideas/input would be welcomed!

Brandy76
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:56 PM
I totally agree that running this would not be a volunteer position- it needs to succeed and be done right- the tentative "supervisory board" of TB people (without egos or agendas, just the love of the breed) that I have connected with would gladly volunteer their oversight - the company that did our site would design/maintain one very inexpensively- I think the real cost would come in hiring someone to promote it-we have investigated that as well- this is not impossible, we just need to secure the funding- I am now trying to figure that out. At this point, our main thought is a website where all things TB can come together- whether you want info about training, places to adopt, buy, find orgs like NATBS or forums like COTH and Ex-Racers, see pedigrees etc of successful TB sporthorses, tell stories about YOUR TB, etc- but with a logo and branding....Any ideas/input would be welcomed!

Bev- I would love to take part in this! I can't imagine how much time it would take, but I'm in for whatever I can do!

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:57 PM
On an aside, a Halflinger Association slogan I saw is "More than just beautiful hair"

Sabovee (a dressage rider who loves TBs) had a slogan "Do your dressage........faster!"

Made me chuckle!

At any rate, we all agree there is a need and a desire for something like this, now to try to git 'er done

Brandy76
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:59 PM
On an aside, a Halflinger Association slogan I saw is "More than just beautiful hair"

Sabovee (a dressage rider who loves TBs) had a slogan "Do your dressage........faster!"

Made me chuckle!

At any rate, we all agree there is a need and a desire for something like this, now to try to git 'er done

Would it be a start?

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
The brainstorming is underway and a continuing process- I think a key element here now is to secure the start up funding- I am working on that angle.....

Chall
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:10 PM
Eventer55
I'm not a breeder, so my apologies to you if you are. I said it in admiration for TB farms, which have survived as an industry for so many years . I did not mean it as an AI versus live cover argument.

Eventer55
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
No problem Chall:)

And for those trying to get something going, I have offered to put up a "Thoroughbred" award at local events. When I did CTR there are lots of awards like a Thoroughbred award, high point Arabian etc etc. So, I thought it would be nice to have a "A Thoroughbred award" I had no takers, one organization never got back to me and the other said they were having a hard time finding sponsors for jumps so I sponsored a jump (Vixen Hill Thoroughbreds ) They also declined my Tb award.

If you want to fill events giving out more awards os always a good thing or was since no one was very impressed with my idea. I'll quietly go away and assume that eventers don't want any more awards aat events.

SEPowell
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:35 PM
I am another proponent of a comprehensive national program involving all aspects. However, having been a start-up manager in the past for several similar projects, the amount of time involved isn't going to get anyone excited about doing this for free.
I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on the specific aspects of such a program and the steps involved in starting it?

Maybe we could start to outline it here and as we work on it those of us who have time to contribute could begin to see possible roles for ourselves.

LAZ
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:22 PM
No problem Chall:)

And for those trying to get something going, I have offered to put up a "Thoroughbred" award at local events. When I did CTR there are lots of awards like a Thoroughbred award, high point Arabian etc etc. So, I thought it would be nice to have a "A Thoroughbred award" I had no takers, one organization never got back to me and the other said they were having a hard time finding sponsors for jumps so I sponsored a jump (Vixen Hill Thoroughbreds ) They also declined my Tb award.

If you want to fill events giving out more awards os always a good thing or was since no one was very impressed with my idea. I'll quietly go away and assume that eventers don't want any more awards aat events.

I would be delighted to have such an award offered at our T3DE, let me know if you want to talk about sponsoring it.

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
One of our adopters on his own sponsored a TB award at the Bucks Cty Horse Park HT- it was very well received- competitors signed up on the honor system on a sheet at the window when they picked up their packets-

We contacted a few venues locally and the biggest problem it seems was lack of a person (from their already strapped volunteer pool) to track the TBs and then figure out the best scoring one......FHI already had the breed info on file so that was easy.

Eventer55
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:04 AM
I would think it would be easy to do a Tb award, if you advertise it with the enty info. Horse must be a registered Tb with papers, submit copy of papers with entry. Keep a separate pile or folder of the Tbs and at the end tally up the numbers.

I'm in Virginia, so I was trying to get some local events to do this, but I'm willing to send a beautiful trophy to Illinois or somewhere else.

Eventer55
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:07 AM
LAZ Indiana is ok too:lol:

Can you PM me at Vixenhilltbs@aol.com and we can talk. I have a place here that has a gorgeous horse statue and they will engrave it as well. I would be willing to send it with a ribbon or whatever.

My computer is not well so if you don't hear back, IM me or try again.

Judith

NMK
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:26 AM
LAZ,

CANTER is willing to sponsor the OTTB award at your T3D again...we do it for SF too.

Nancy

cottagefarm
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hello fellow TB lovers:)

I have something in the works which involves all things TB.
The logo is already done. My friend and I had designed it and then had it professionally done so it can be used in all formats.
Website is taking longer than I wanted mainly because my idea kept growing and therefore I am having to have software built to support it.

Other plans are to sponsor awards at shows and events . This will cover eventing, Jumpers, hunters, dressage, polo. Did I forget anyone? You get the picture :)
Other events solely for TB's are planned for the future. Hopefully after the first year.

My web guy is getting with me next week to show me the skeleton of the site so we are getting closer.

Other plans are to give donations to TB rescue (CANTER etc) and eventually set something up to support/rescue some of the older campaigners that keep going thru the ringer at the cheap tracks.

I have really put everything (literally) into this project and I am very excited about it.
I know several peeps from the eventing thread sent me photos to use on the site and I will touch base with them next week when I see where we are with the web site.

We are tentatively looking at Dec 1st for launch so stay tuned . I'm thinking it will be closer to the 15th

BTW I think the name (soon to be revealed) is genius and can't believe anyone else had taken it :D

midnightride
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:10 AM
being a devoted TB breeder, rider and lover I would be happy to help sponsor an award... we need to remind people how great TBs are so that next time they go shopping they look at TBs and don't just jump on the WB bandwagon;);)

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 12, 2009, 03:39 PM
Sally, how exciting!!! I cant wait to hear more- please keep me posted and let me know if there is anything we can do!

Bensmom
Nov. 12, 2009, 04:38 PM
I did the OTTB award at Ocala one year. We gave it for the best placing OTTB at the inaugural FEI and other levels event.

I tracked down the TB's that were registered as such with the event secretary to determine which ones had raced. The announcer made a NUMBER of announcements about it so that anyone interested made sure the show office knew their horse qualified.

I had a nice silver bowl that I'd received as a wedding gift -- took it to a place in town and had it engraved and we used that as the award.

It was a really neat thing to do and got some good press coverage. Really raised some awareness of what neat horses TBs really are. :)

I'd like to see it done more often too.

twistoffate
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:05 PM
A cool quote I found a while back...

"OTTB: The precision and grace for Grand Prix, the power and guts for a four star, the heart and drive to do both in one weekend."

cottagefarm
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
Sally, how exciting!!! I cant wait to hear more- please keep me posted and let me know if there is anything we can do!

Hi Beverly

Will definitely keep everyone posted.
It has turned out to be alot bigger project than I anticpated. I had to recruit a friend to help me . I do have time on my side right now being unemployed . I guess that good and bad :lol:
Don't kow if you're familiar with the old H.I.S (Hunter Improvement society)in GB but I would like to implement something along those lines. BTW in GB Hunters are a totally different thing :) and the old society, I think it is called something else now, inspected stallions and graded them on overall conformation, movement etc. These stallions were used to breed show horses, eventers, field hunter, hurdlers, steeplechasers etc.

My overall vision is alot bigger than that but ya gotta start somewhere :lol:

Here's looking forward to 2010 and the majesty of thoroughbred.

BeverlyAStrauss
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:50 PM
Sally, there is so much that can be done, I know- we had just been thinking about a website and marketing the breed as a sport horse, providing resources, etc-- not even attempting registries, etc bc of the logistics involved- cant wait to hear about the unveiling!

ottb
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:35 AM
and would be glad to help get this off the ground.:D

Sabovee
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
A cool quote I found a while back...

"OTTB: The precision and grace for Grand Prix, the power and guts for a four star, the heart and drive to do both in one weekend."

:) That's my quote. :) I put it on a couple of t-shirts in cafepress.

http://www.cafepress.com/ottb.73002000

cottagefarm
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'll start a new thread when things are closer. My friend found 50 acres we may be able to use as a rescue. We would have to board some retirees too to help cover costs but everything seems to be falling in place :)

I'll def need some help with some of the things and hopefully we will be able to employ a couple of people too and lower the unemployment rate (that includes me too):lol:

Nootka
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
Just wondering..... Are you getting a grant to cover this? Feel free to PM me if you want:yes:

sm
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
Should I join and why. Besides the awards program can any member tell me the benefits.

Most people join because they want breed recognition for their achievements, they love their horse and want their horse recognized.

Some people join to contribute something they are interested in. For example, one lady in Texas joined using her talents to implement and market TB Competitive Trail Recognition. Others, like the scholorship you mentioned, financed that out of her pocket. Up to now, people that have joined and contributed in these ways have their annual membership fees continously waived.

I'm aware of the needs and think that many of the ideas here are good ideas. North American Thoroughbred Society (NATBS) is moving towards an all-inclusive TB site as resources allow.

I have seriously looked into the mechanics of a national marketing campaign but do not have the deep pockets (at least for a bare bones program $250-500,000/year to sustain a broad campaign). Keep in mind it takes 12-18 months and numerous impressions for word to begin to sink in with your target audiences). We're steadily making improvement to NATBS site and would welcome contributions of content for editing and including.

Other things to do, not already mentioned:

- support Anna Ford of New Vocations and her OTTB Shows.

- Anne Russek has a beautiful series of OTTB shows set for 2010 at the Virginia Horse Center -- so close to Beverly, yet I didn't see any support from Mid-Atlantic Rescue for Anne's two OTTB shows in 2009. While Bev was posting here, at the same time I was out there lending my support to Anne's cause. I was there in person from New Jersey, as was Anna Ford from New Vocations in Ohio.

I sent out to the TB industry an appeal to support Anne's shows. COTH also wrote beautifully, see the four articles on the subject. Meanwhile, here's the appeal NATBS sent out:

Hello,

As an independant third party, North American Thoroughbred Society helped sponsor this event. Just would like you to be aware the Off The Track Thoroughbred Celebration Fall Show at the Virginia Horse Center this weekend was beautifully done. It's not simply coming up and following through with a good idea: it's both the facility and management that made it such a stellar event.

Truly, this is by every measure up to the exacting standards of The Jockey Club. I encourage all industry Thoroughbreders to consider sponsoring, or otherwise supporting, this series in 2010. To do so, one should contact the management team of annrussva@hotmail.com (http://mail.hellohorse.com/cgi-bin/compose.exe?id=01f8bb36b0021c369168f853156018a65a2 2&new=&xsl=compose.xsl&to=annrussva@hotmail.com) and ckelly@horsecenter.org (http://mail.hellohorse.com/cgi-bin/compose.exe?id=01f8bb36b0021c369168f853156018a65a2 2&new=&xsl=compose.xsl&to=ckelly@horsecenter.org) for the 2010 series details.

happy holidays,

Anita Adamski
North American Thoroughbred Society
www.hellohorse.com (http://www.hellohorse.com/)

albigears
Dec. 1, 2009, 04:01 PM
I am unemployed at the moment and have time to help out with this project. Just let me know what you need!

On another note about the OTTB thing... I got my TB off the track. He was in racing training, but was a late baby and didn't get his gate card before the end of the season. He never raced... but I would be totally bummed if we weren't qualified for awards at shows because of it.

sm
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:33 PM
with my group all you need is proof of breed. The head registrar at TJC has been amazing, following every possibility in getting some of our horses IDed. And he does it inexpensively, they are really making an effort over there. All NATBS needs to know is that they are in the book, meaning they are recognized by the International Studbook Committee as well as TJC. What could be better recognition than that -- international? That is why NATBS keeps the horse's birth registry number and does not set up new Registry/ID Numbers for the horses.

Since you are in WA you may be pleased to know we are working with Amy Tryon on a Hall of Fame for Poggio. Dutton's horses next.

As an end note in the barn where I board we have a half brother to Gem Twist. He also was in training at USET, but couldn't stand being in a ring. Quite good at jumping though, he never saw a jump he didn't like, and transitioned nicely into a field hunter. He's about 29 now, going on four. Such a sweet guy --- and flea bit gray!!

BeverlyAStrauss
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:02 PM
Anita, I applaud your efforts for undertaking a registry! I know how much time and effort that must take- all we were kicking around was a website promoting the TB, adoption, resources and programs like yours as well as the TB show, Kimberley Saylor's program, etc. I am aware of the cost and commitment for such a venture which is why it hasn't gotten off the ground. If it cant be done right......

We could not make either TB show in VA- we are just two (and a half) people here and it is hard to get away, not to mention the expense of traveling 6 or more hours, staying, etc. A few years ago we did the Rerun show and had a great time- it was much closer but still took the whole day and several hundred $$. To go away for a weekend means we dont show horses to prospective adopters.....and we would have to beg our one part time worker to cover things when he normally has weekends off. Maybe the movement will grow and gravitate up closer! One of our adopted horses who lives down that way went and did well- they had a lot of fun.

sm
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:11 AM
Bev,

That is too bad because helping to open up a secondary market will help move your horses -- you are so close.

The dates are set for next year. I am on my way to VA today, let's brainstorm if you want. Anna Ford sponsored classes (two I believe), one class she sponsored was dedicated to Blue Horse Charities. There is also a silent auction... and a Sponsor Booklet where all sponsors and their websites are mentioned.

Meanwhile, you and CANTER have been listed for quite a while under resources http://www.hellohorse.com/resource.htm . Will add an OTTB forum section to this page over the holidays.

But let's brainstorm on what will work for Mid-Atlantic. Entries have been as far away as PA and GA, of course entries are from MD...

You really should be represented at the show. If finances are too tight to sponsor anything, or give to the silent auction, then PM me and I'll see about leaving Mid-Atlantic material at the sec'y desk. Or on the bulletin board there are For Sale flyers. Anne is very anti-slaughter, if she thinks for one moment you are taking away money from rescuing a horse on a lot --- hate to speak for her --- but she would not approve. For Anne, it's all about helping OTTBs.

BeverlyAStrauss
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:36 AM
Oh, I didnt know about any sponsorship opportunities- maybe we can do something there- this really highlights the need for one place on the internet to go- would love to see the results, I got the link to the pics here, otherwise would not have known where to find them...

One of our adopters who didnt end up going but wants to go in the spring offered to take some info down as well....

Thanks and put me on the mailing list!
Bev

Equibrit
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:46 PM
I second the need for a TB logo.

Well yeah - that would make ALL the difference.

Outyougo
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hay what about the guys who never even made to Racetrack. I have 2 One clearly not the sporty runner type more akin to a Moose and the other raised by someone kept him as a pet until the fall of his 4 yr old year!

No vices, no bows lovely brains

NRTB Never Races T'bred!

IveGotRhythm
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:42 AM
Eventer55
Advanced Join Date: Oct. 1, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would think it would be easy to do a Tb award, if you advertise it with the enty info. Horse must be a registered Tb with papers, submit copy of papers with entry.

I'm just curious (really!) but I am of the understanding that many OTTBs are sold/adopted w/o papers so that they can't be raced again.

I, myself, have 2 OTTB geldings. I have copies of papers on one (not in my name) and nothing but a lip tattoo on the other.

I get really excited when I hear of ideas like these to promote TB's/OTTB's but wonder where folks with horses like mine will be able to support them?

ottb
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:21 AM
I'm just curious (really!) but I am of the understanding that many OTTBs are sold/adopted w/o papers so that they can't be raced again... This is certainly true, but I think it is more likely they get lost. Many of the horses I've gottwen thru CANTER I get papers, but once they get to a place like New Holland the papers typically are nowhere to be found.

JWB
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
Our new OTTB rescue came with papers but his trainer marked them up - not to race.

My first OTTB came without papers and I didn't have ANY idea of who she was or where she came from for years. We eventually tracked down her pedigree through her tatoo/blood type and she went on to be a mother of 6 registered TB foals.

Those foals were destined for the track (I was poor and in college so I sold her to a TB breeder) but they've come back as fantastic sport horses. I kick myself that I never got the opportunity to breed a straight sport horse from her.

I think it's great to recognize the accomplishments of the OTTBs but I'd also like to see people paying attention to and breeding TBs for the purpose of sport. It would be difficult though without the support of the JC and the stud farms as it stands....

There are bloodlines that I really like, right here in FL - very local - and they are lower end TB stallions - but their "low end" stud fees are $5000. The only way I'm going to get those bloodlines is by waiting for one to fail at the track, and then it will only be the mares that are available.... Good stallions are hard to come by.

In Europe, they use TBs in breeding sport horses but they go for top quality stallions. The top quality stallions are just not available to us as sport horse breeders. I understand the JC's reasoning behind live cover for RACE horses but it would be nice if people could use AI for JC registered TBs if there was a NO RACING restriction in place. That might allow some of these stud farms to offer stallions to sport horse breeders at a reduced cost...

$5000 LFG for live cover with racing privileges,
$2000 LFG for AI. No racing privileges.

Equibrit
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
THOROUGHBRED HORSES FOR SPORT Box 160 Great Falls, VA 22066
THOROUGHBRED IN SPORT ASSOC. 964 Gale Dr. Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965

sm
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:03 PM
Oh, I didnt know about any sponsorship opportunities- maybe we can do something there- this really highlights the need for one place on the internet to go- Bev

DUH!!!! That went right over my head, and it's so fricking simple --- allow people to know exactly where to contribute, sponsor, or volunteer.

I can add to hellohorse.com a Calendar page with sponsorship links. I just had an extremely nice barn in PA contact me about USDF-recognized high score TB awards at their three recognized shows in 2010.

sm
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:31 PM
Oh, I didnt know about any sponsorship opportunities- maybe we can do something there...

"One of our adopters who didnt end up going but wants to go in the spring offered to take some info down as well....

"Thanks and put me on the mailing list!"
Bev

I'll also mail you the Donor and Sponsor booklet that was handed out at the event, it was inexpensive but very nicely done. Amazingly, Charles Town and Fasig-Tipton also contributed. Charles Town Races and Slots in West VA, as you remember earlier this year, also provided a grant to CANTER Mid Atlantic, supposedly (alledgedly?) allowing CANTER Mid Atlantic to care for an add'l 15 to 20 horses per year...

BEV, ANNE JUST SENT OUT a very detailed press release and you were included. If it's not in your inbox now, contact Anne or myself. The Thoroughbred Celebration will offer three shows in 2010, a "triple crown" if you will, March 20-21, June 12-13, and November 20-21.

crosscreeksh
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:15 PM
If this Association does work out...please don't punish those of use who breed TB's for sport, not to race. OTTB's are not the only ones who should be recognized!!! We put a lot of work into producing sound sane non raced, sport TB's!!!

Kaelurus
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:23 PM
If this Association does work out...please don't punish those of use who breed TB's for sport, not to race. OTTB's are not the only ones who should be recognized!!! We put a lot of work into producing sound sane non raced, sport TB's!!!

Thank you crosscreeksh :D I also have a sport-bred TB who never raced (in my profile pic). While I have all the paperwork from his breeding, he is not JC (long story involving previous owner, a car wreck and paralysis :no:), and thus doesn't really "fit" anywhere. But he is so beautiful, and such a fabulous mover! I love when people ask about him, and I get to tell them he's TB :cool:

S A McKee
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:17 PM

SM's organization won't record non JC TB's. I wish there was a group that would take them.

skip916
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:33 PM
This sounds so wonderful and exciting! Counting down the days until Dec.15...

Erin Pittman
Dec. 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I remember following it and just had to search for it. We just launched our new nonprofit organization, the Retired Racehorse Training Project (http://www.retiredracehorsetraining.org). It incorporates several of the things mentioned in here (I'm most excited about our "Bloodline Brag" to track pedigrees etc., in sport). Please register as a user for the site and add your horses to the Bloodline Brag, your training services to our Trainer Directory (or look for a trainer who enjoys working with OTTBs!), or your placement organization to our Sources for Horses. We pre-loaded over 100 trainers and several placement organizations, so if you see one that is "yours," let me know once you've joined and I can turn it over to you - allows you to make updates, etc. And if you are one of those lucky folks who agreed to be in our database more than a year ago, I apologize for the loooong delay in getting the site launched. We ended up hiring someone to do it because the databases and all that stuff was way over my head! :winkgrin:
We're also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RetiredRacehorseTrainingProject
The website will always be a work in progress, so feel free to send suggested links, resources, add events to our calendar, etc!!

SEPowell
Dec. 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I remember following it and just had to search for it. We just launched our new nonprofit organization, the Retired Racehorse Training Project (http://www.retiredracehorsetraining.org). It incorporates several of the things mentioned in here (I'm most excited about our "Bloodline Brag" to track pedigrees etc., in sport). Please register as a user for the site and add your horses to the Bloodline Brag, your training services to our Trainer Directory (or look for a trainer who enjoys working with OTTBs!), or your placement organization to our Sources for Horses. We pre-loaded over 100 trainers and several placement organizations, so if you see one that is "yours," let me know once you've joined and I can turn it over to you - allows you to make updates, etc. And if you are one of those lucky folks who agreed to be in our database more than a year ago, I apologize for the loooong delay in getting the site launched. We ended up hiring someone to do it because the databases and all that stuff was way over my head! :winkgrin:
We're also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RetiredRacehorseTrainingProject
The website will always be a work in progress, so feel free to send suggested links, resources, add events to our calendar, etc!!

I've checked it out and I think it is fantastic. Well done!!! And thank you :)

Jleegriffith
Dec. 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've been adding a few everyday. I like comparing the horses that we have to other's to see if the are at all alike.

purplnurpl
Dec. 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
oh very cool.

though my pictures won't load.
I just filled out my mare's page 3 times and every time I click "save" it runs me back to the main page and deletes everything I've entered.

Erin Pittman
Dec. 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
oh very cool.

though my pictures won't load.
I just filled out my mare's page 3 times and every time I click "save" it runs me back to the main page and deletes everything I've entered.

I have to approve all the entries, so it's possible she's there waiting for me 3 times. What's her name?

wildlifer
Dec. 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
I added mine -- I am really impressed with this page, wow!

vanraf
Dec. 14, 2011, 07:50 PM
Erin what a great idea - I'm excited to register and put my horse in there! Wish I was on the east coast to see the trainer challenge in person - what a great idea!

Erin Pittman
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
We're going to *try* to have the Trainer Challenge live streaming...will let you know for sure. Still working on that. It will definitely be recorded (have two professional videographers volunteering their services for us) and posted somehow.

lizathenag
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:45 PM
I hit submit too early so I entered Utah Beach again. Will I be able to edit with a photo?

Erin Pittman
Dec. 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
I just checked and you entered him without being logged in. If you'll create a user name for the site, I can "assign" him to you so that he can be edited by you.