PDA

View Full Version : Catoctin National Park in MD

tabula rashah
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Anyone ever ridden there? What's it like? Are there enough trails there to warrant a 2 hour haul?

jazzrider
Nov. 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
Do you mean Catoctin Mountain Park outside of Frederick, in Thurmont? I haven't been, but I know it's about 6-7 miles of horse trails. I went there once with my dogs to scope out trailer parking and tried to have a conversation with a Ranger about bringing the horses and he was less than welcoming. Gave me the impression there's not a lot of riding there. But on the web you can find a horse trail map for the park.

I'd be interested to hear what other folks have to say about the Park. It's close enough to me to be worth a try.

tabula rashah
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yep that's the one- I remember there being a League of MD Horseman or a TROT ride there a year or so ago that I wanted to go to and couldn't. I "think" it was a 4 hour ride that was marked challenging?

Apollos
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:03 PM
Trailer parking is not the best there. The parking area on the map is tiny, fits about 3-4 trailers. And I'm talking 2 horse bumper pulls. A gooseneck would have a hard time there. I hear there is trailer parking on Mt. Zion Road but none of the rangers seem to know about it.
I like the trails there. They are mountainous, with little to no field riding. There's not alot of space to really move out. But there's great scenery depending on the time of year. It's very rocky, definitely requires shoes or some type of hoof protection. Again, depending on the time of year, there is little water there. A few creek crossings but they tend to dry up in the summer.
I like it mainly because it's usually never crowded and most times I never see anyone else there. I also enjoy the mountain riding.

jazzrider
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Sounds like it might be worth trying once. Tabula -- report out if you go. We're crazed this month, but it might be fun to go in December.