PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mounting block do you use?

dacasodivine
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have recently started riding my mare bareback to improve my balance and seat. Right now I stand on the side of a trailer, one of those with the low rail. That is in my front yard so I have to lead her to it, mount, and then ride back to the pasture. I would like to have something in the pasture to mount from. I already have a milk crate and thought about getting two more to make something step-like.

I'm open to ideas for other alternatives.

Thanks

Allagash's mom
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:38 PM
the newest issue of Horse Journal has a great article about different mounting blocks out there :)

http://www.horse-journal.com/issues/16_11/features/Mounting-Blocks-Keep-Horse-Healthy_1473-1.html

(gives start of article, but rest gives reviews too. need to pay or subscribe or find a friend who gets it :) )

vineyridge
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:40 PM
Milk crates are way too light. You can break things like bones using those. Mounting blocks need to be heavy. Really heavy.

If you can have something permanent, go to a lumber yard and pick up a three step concrete front steps. I think they cost about $35. Heavy as lead, will not move, and you can bring the horse up on the side that should be toward the house. They don't look bad either.

Another thing that I've used that doesn't look so bad in a front yard is a picnic table.

eventgroupie2
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hubby built me a three step box out of 2X4's and plywood. Heavy as heck, so not moveable, but allows me to haul my lard butt onto my horses without pulling them over. :lol: Didn't take the horses long to get used to it, even though I am pretty tall standing on it.

lily04
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:47 PM
I took a piece of a tree about 3' high and 2' radius and cut a couple of steps into it with a chainsaw.

shakeytails
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
I used to have a 2-step non-folding plastic thing from Wal-mart for a mounting block, but it got broke and I haven't been able to find another. Now I just use an overturned 5 gallon bucket or muck tub.

Janet
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:01 PM
Can you use the pasture fence to mount?

ddashaq
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have a plastic 2 step mounting block that I bought for about $30 at a tack store.

JollyBadger
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:19 PM
Whatever is handy, especially when I'm out on a trail ride. Large rocks, tree stumps, fallen trees, vehicle tires, picnic table, garbage can. . .:D

At the barn, one of the staff members built a very solid "two-sided" mounting block. It has steps going up two sides, so that you can lead your horse up to it from either direction.

The top platform is about 3' x 3' so there is plenty of room, and it's heavy enough that it doesn't "wander off" like those plastic step-up mounting blocks sold in catalogs.

Luckydonkey
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:20 PM
a 5 gal bucket tipped upside down....

Nezzy
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:25 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/BatHealer/mountbl.jpg

Dreaming Luke
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
Nezzy that is one snazzy step! I usually use a fence, a big rock, and what I don't recommend is a plastic chair!!!:no:

seabreeze
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
I use a step stool that I found at Lowe's very similar to this one (actually, I think this must be the "updated" version of the ones I have):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=40558-12223-RM-P2&lpage=none

I keep one in the trailer, one in the barn for grooming, and one out in the ring. They are very sturdy and weatherproof.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:50 PM
what I don't recommend is a plastic chair!!!:no:

No kiddin'. I went to a riding school:eek: years ago that used plastic chairs for mounting blocks. Sure enough, it broke with me and I wound up face down across the saddle like the dead outlaw in a western. (It was a strange school in other ways, too. They made everyone begin lessons in a western saddle, no matter what discipline one wanted to ride. I started there because they were close to my summer job but I left after about three or four lessons.)

Anyway, I found a two-step plastic mounting block at my local TSC store that was being used to stock upper shelves. They let me buy it for eight bucks cause it was used.:cool:
Now that I'm no longer riding ponies, though, I reckon I'll build me one for my riding ring.

dacasodivine
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wow! Went out and played with the ponies and come back to lots of responses. Can't use fence unless I want to shock myself! LOL It's electric. I think I'll check Walmart and Home Depot to see what they have. While at Home Depot, price lumber in case I want to build one.

No large rocks, stumps, or trees wide enough to turn into stumps.

I once (ONCE was enough) tried mounting bareback from a plastic chair and it tipped and deposited me under my very spooky horse who just stood there while I got myself and the chair out from under her! Plastic chairs are for sitting on, that's it.

greysandbays
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:21 PM
I have a three-step thing that is actually sold as a "mounting block", but it's really tippy. Don't know if I'd actually want to use it to get on a horse from. I'm currently using as a step for the secondary door of the mobile home.

Fairview Horse Center
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:32 PM
We built one using pre-cut 3 step lumber.

Woodsperson
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have a 3 step mounting block that I bought at TSC. It's not a creative solution, but it is very sturdy, but light weight enough to move around. It is very good for mounting bareback.

McVillesMom
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
My husband just built me one using the 3-step stair risers from Home Depot. It's quite tall and, while heavy, can be moved by one person.

ChocoMare
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:37 AM
Mounting Platform with Removable Steps (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564194878ccerQq)

When you've got a 17.3 Percheron, it reallllly comes in handy ;)

dacasodivine
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I need ideas because the alternative is to order something. There is no tack store in town that carries mounting blocks. They might be able to order, I don't know.

I like the 3 step cutout thing. I'll check my Home Depot and see if they have them and what they run.

Good Old Sledge
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:49 AM
May not be the most practical, but your truck is portable and has a tail gate from which you can mount.

Frank B
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:01 AM
Home-made three-step stile, with 2' X 2' platform. The vertical triangular shape makes them inherently stable and the weight prevents alien abductions.

They're constructed of pressure-treated 2X8s, using carriage bolts and large screws to hold things together.

equineartworks
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:26 AM
A brand new plastic one from TSC that I have to go pick up this morning lol!

jeano
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:41 AM
I have a two step plastic block at the barn. Out on the roads and trails, I have used truck bumpers, trailer ramps, trailer fenders, discarded drywall compound buckets, put the horse in a ditch and me on the bank, put the horse in the creek and me on the bank, put the horse downhill and me uphill, stumps, rocks, mounds of dirt, and logs. Neither of my horses understood how to stand next to these things when I got them but they are both really good about sidling up to just about anything and adjusting a step at a time when asked (helpful when the stump in question is half rotted and there's only a toehold on it.)

I used to think I wanted one of those cute little take with you tripod stools they sell at Natl Bridle shop but the farthest I've ever had to walk with my horse to find SOMETHING I can use has been maybe five minutes. And I am fat and old and arthritic and scared to mount at the best of times and with a solid block. Although I have used buckets they are too tippy to be safe, one put me under the horse once back in the bad old days when I was most terrified and she was least cooperative. Thank goodness she didnt want to get ugly all over her hooves and stood still until I got myself sorted out.

Zu Zu
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:44 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/BatHealer/mountbl.jpg
Nezzy - this is too cool :cool: - looks very safe ~ thanks for sharing ~ am going to ask for one for Christmas !

analise
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:13 AM
The barn I ride at has one of these 3 step mounting blocks (http://www.saddlesource.com/prodimages/Copy%20of%20009-3%20GreenBIG.jpg) and I've used it to mount a 17hh-something Belgian mare as well as my 16.3 Perch cross bareback. It's sturdy and stable but you can carry it about to move it if need be. (some people like to move it so that in order to mount the horse has to face the wall to prevent them from walking off. It also gets used in training the new horses to accept it being plopped down beside them and it means if they step away you can follow them with it so they can't actually get away from it.)

I have in the past, however, mounted from a bale of hay, a log, an overturned bucket, and a leg up from someone else. ;)

LauraKY
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:28 AM
Three step mounting block or fence. Big horse, short rider.

LuckOfTheIrish91
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
Three step mounting block or fence. Big horse, short rider.

hahah tell me about it, you've seen me get on my boy. 5'4 rider with a hose who is a hair over 17.3hh. Fence makes for the best option when being lazy otherwise mounting is just a good pre-ride stretch.

chaltagor
Nov. 11, 2009, 04:32 PM
My SO built one for me. He bought a lot of wood at Home Depot that someone ordered and never picked up; the store said get it out of here and he of course had to buy it as it was "such a deal!" :lol: Then he had to make something with it and I said Mounting Block stat please.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/panchokitty/?action=view&current=block.jpg

oharabear
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:43 PM
I use this (http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203118679&pnr=M53&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google-_-M53-_-203118679), but it's not *quite* as tall as I would like. I do love how portable it is, and it works just fine for all of my 15.2 and under horses. The tall horse is a bit more of a stretch, but still WAY better than mounting from the ground!

sublimequine
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
I prefer the bumper of an 89 Honda.. :lol::lol::lol:

00Jumper
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
If you've got an Ikea nearby these work really well:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90098634

Nezzy
Nov. 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Nezzy - this is too cool :cool: - looks very safe ~ thanks for sharing ~ am going to ask for one for Christmas !

we had that at one Boarding stable and it sure was nice.