PDA

View Full Version : Another option than bell boots?

Atheta21
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have a pony that is over reaching and want a solution other than bell boots. Does anyone have ideas?
I once remember seeing a little rubber looking thing on a jumper. Does any one know what that might be? Thanks!!

ShadyLady_DQ
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yes they are called Italian Jumper Quarter Boots. They cover the heal and corrinary (sp) band. Are these what you were thinking of?
Heres a link:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/category.asp?start=12&l=3&c=120&c2c=ln

Or alternitively if you want to spend alot of money I found these when I was looking for the link to the quarter boots. They actually look very nice, but too expensive for my taste.
http://www.doversaddlery.com/veredus-carbon-shield-horse-boots/p/X1-04017/cn/120/

Atheta21
Nov. 8, 2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, those are what I was thinking of. The Quarter boots! I wonder if they have them in Pony size. Thanks!!

Philosopher
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:13 AM
I've used the quarter boots, but they tend to slip up the hoof pretty easily. i.e. don't stay put for that much longer than the time it takes to warm up and do your round. Don't know what your intended use is, but they might not last for much of a trail ride through adverse conditions.

JackSprats Mom
Nov. 16, 2009, 08:33 PM
I would address WHY the horse is over reaching, it is possible that there isn't a good reason but I'd be willing to bet there is.

Two obvious reasons are incorrect shoeing (hind foot is too fast/front feet too slow) OR rider is pushing the horse too fast horse is falling on its forehand and over reaching as out of balance.

chicamuxen1
Nov. 17, 2009, 06:59 AM
I agree, I'd recommend preventing the over reaching. I've gone thru this problem in the past and was very frustrated, various shoers couldn't seem to find a solution. I finally hauled my horse to Stephen O'Grady, DVM/farrier. He analyzed the horse's movement then we took the horse into his forge and he fixed the problem. The horse was already shod well in front, I'd had my farrier put on Natural Balance shoes to improve the breakover of the front feet and speed them up so they got off the ground quicker. Dr. O'Grady explained how to slow down the hind feet and proceeded to do it.

If anyone one is interested in a detailed explanation of how to slow the hind feet down just drop me an email. I did buy another horse later, have him now at home. He also has the same forging problem because of long legs and short back. I explained to my current farrier what I'd like done and Voila! No forging!

Bonnie

MassageLady
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
Most of the time I have found its a sore shoulder. Simply having a massage therapist work on it a time or two will help, or rub some 'sore nomore' on it. Please don't 'square off' the back hoof...they need the point of it to dig into the ground to keep from slipping.

chicamuxen1
Nov. 20, 2009, 02:38 PM
I agree, do not square off the hind toes, the point is natural and needed and a squared off toe will speed up the break over causing the hind foot to catch the front heels.

To slow down the hind foot simple extend the heels of the shoes, usually means going to the next size up in shoes. The farrier needs to take the inward curve out of the heels and straighten them. this is not a grab, it will not twist the leg or change it's flight. It just effectively increases the "size" of the hind foot which has the effect of keeping the hind foot on the ground a fraction longer. This is usually just enough of a delay that the front foot will leave the ground and be out of the way before the hind foot decends into the space the front foot was occupying. I was amazed at how simple and effective this fix was.

Lot's of Arabians have long legs and short backs which is often the cause of forging and shoe pulling. And many farriers think squaring the hind toes will help when it actually worsens the problem.

Bonnie S.