PDA

View Full Version : Bouncy Ankles?

StrawberryFields
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
Whenever I ride flat (particulary sitting trot) my ankles feel like jello. Is there any way to stop this? Or is this ok? I know for equitation classes (I'm also in IHSA for UMD) they want your legs STILL. I am trying to keep them from bouncing so much. Why are they doing this? It doesnt happen when I jump or canter- only trotting. My heels are down and I'm not hitting the horse repeatdely with my heels/spurs. They just.....bounce. They have done this for a long time but it seems to happen more when I'm on bigger horses (I'm 5'2"). Is it because they are absorbing the bigger movement???

Duramax
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:40 PM
Are they truly bouncing or simply absorbing the shock of the horse's movement? Hunter folks want the heel jammed down and the leg absolutely still. It is more classically correct to have joints that are soft and open so that they can act as shock absorbers. FWIW.

StrawberryFields
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think they are absorbing the shock because I have a pretty good leg/seat

caevent
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'd much rather see a loose ankle than a locked one. Just make sure that your whole leg isn't coming up with the motion of the trot. Knees stretching down and back, stirrup aligned virtically with the ground; that's more important to me. I'd recommend traditional, heavy fillis irons as well. Light-weight, flexi irons would make it too easy for your leg to be overly-mobile.

StrawberryFields
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks! I have watched videos of myself and it doesn't seem as if my whole leg is coming up at all. More so my ankles just bounch inward and down with the movement of the horse. Is this correct? I was just wondering because all the girls on the IHSA team had TIGHT, STILL legs. Is this because I rode dressage for 2 years before joining my college's riding team? And the bouncier the horse the more my ankles move.

K.
Nov. 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
my ankles bounce (i have been told "jiggle" too) when my thigh and knee get tight... even if my calf is on, my ankles are all over the place. when my leg is relaxed and my calf is on my ankles don't move. ( I mostly ride dressage)
I was told that shortening my stirrup would help.. it didn't, it just made it harder to relax my upper leg.. I am not sure what actually helped me figure it out.. it was a light bulb moment :) which doesn't help you at all. my only recommendation is to ride with out stirrups so that you can work on having a relaxed and proper leg.. then add stirrups :)
good luck!