PDA

View Full Version : Basic farrier tool set for shows/at home?

Making It Work
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:04 AM
I'm trying to put together a basic farrier tool set that all horseowners should have access to at all times.

List I've made:
- nail cutter + crease nail puller (in case a nail is protruding or you need to pull a shoe)
- rasp?
- hoof clincher?

I'm not sure what else is absolutely needed. I'm not going to be doing horse's feet myself, so really only need tools for emergencies.

Also, any good sites that sell farrier tools? (I don't need fancy ones, just ones that will work on the occasional times where I can't wait for the farrier).

deltawave
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:43 AM
I got a basic farrier kit from Jeffers year ago, had my farrier sharpen the knife and nippers, and stashed it in my trailer. Have never needed anything but the rasp, but it's good to have just in case. It contains:

Hammer
Rasp
Nippers
Clinch cutter
Hoof knife

3dazey
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:03 AM
I have the same kit as deltawave from Jeffers, and added a GOOD pair of crease nail pullers from a farrier supply. It has been very handy.

Tasker
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:10 AM
This might seem like an overboard step but our eventer competes with a full set of spare shoes (customized, tapped - basically ready to go) in case she pulls one. They live in the trunk in the trailer but would make it easier for a strange farrier to get a shoe on in a hurry. They are not brand new shoes...just ones that didn't have enough 'life' left for a whole shoeing cycle and not totally worn out.

My neighbor who competes at the upper levels does the same thing FWIW.

3dazey
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:26 PM
Tasker, it's not an overboard step...I would guess that most of us carry a spare set of shoes to competitions. Saves much grief if needed. :yes:

retreadeventer
Nov. 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
If you compete more than one horse, take the old shoes when the farrier removes them, and pull out the nails, clean them up, and duct tape the fronts together, take a marking pen and write the horse's name and LEFT and RIGHT on the shoes. Do same with hinds, because in an emergency moment you do need to know which one is which. Every horse competing needs a spare set in the trailer, that is something I just keep packed.
Also, I change the spares with EVERY shoeing. Your horse's feet change thru the season. And make sure the spares are tapped and drilled if you have studs in the horse's current set. In fact, on a mucky day, I have learned to pre-stud the spares to save time, and before I leave to warmup, I put them in the horse trailer door tray so anyone can find them for me if I need to send someone back to the trailer. I have one horse with pads and stuff and he can't have just any shoe tacked back on.
I throw out old spares as they rust up.
I think a rasp, pullers, spare nails and hammer are essential. Love my nail puller but they are an expensive tool for an emergency spare. Spare nails - if you put some sheet cotton in a plastic baggie with the nails, and put a little drop or two of 3 in 1 oil on it the nails won't rust for a while.

nextyear
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:23 PM
The other item I keep with me is equicast, if the shoe is coming off and no farrier is available I will put on over the shoe, I wrap it so the stud holes are not covered. It has saved the day more than once.