PDA

View Full Version : Removing Horse Hair from Polar Fleece?

MyMoodyMares
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:29 PM
Is there some kind of secret trick to removing horse hair from Polar Fleece and Wool blankets? I have a lovely navy polar fleece quarter sheet that is COVERED in white horse hair. I used it in the spring when my horse had psoas muscle injury...I am ready to chuck the thing in the garbage! Is it a lost cause or can I save it without losing my sanity?

PS. I have already used up two lint rollers, a ton of masking tape, and a special pet hair removing "sponge", and a jacket brush...

Chief2
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:29 AM
I was going to suggest sending it on a trip through the washing machine on the delicate/woolen cycle, and then run it through the dryer on the cool/delicate cycle. That usually does the trick for me.

If you decide to chuck it, please let me know. I have a cream colored horse that could use this and would be happy to have it. If it's the right size, I would be happy to pay for the shipping.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:01 AM
See, *I* was going to suggest the extractor washer at the laundromat, then the dryer (at the laundromat)

Just don't let them see you coming... :uhoh:

I actually use a grooma brush first, it's a round curry type rubber thingy with big teeth. Then I use one of the rubber fur/lint remover brushes that looks like a (rubber) regular brush but the 'bristles' are rubber too. I don't know how to describe it right. Lemme go see if I can find it.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:44 AM
1.) Try everything imaginable to get the hair off outside.
2.) Bring the blanket into the house. All the hair will instantly fall off on the carpet.

Alagirl
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:11 AM
2.) Bring the blanket into the house. All the hair will instantly fall off on the carpet.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and so true.

Wash, wish generous amounts of fabric softener, try....rinse repeat.

At least it's not Dalmatian hair. I swear that stuff has barbs on the bottom and works it's actively into the fabric and appolstery.

CatOnLap
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
I find it is not the real Polarfleece (r) that attracts hair in this way but generally the cheaper knockoffs.

Real Polarfleece seems to come out quite clean after I wash it in my Maytag and dry it with a couple of those Bounce sheets in my dryer. But maybe because I have to bring it into the house first and as said above, ALL THE HAIR FALLS ONTO THE CARPET FIRST! (hahahahhaa-too true!)

Of course, your wool cooler will not survive THAT treatment.

For the wool lining of some of my winter blankets, I hang them up stretched, in my grooming stall and vacuum the hair off using my horse vac curry attachment.

Now if anyone has an idea how to get the white hair out of my neoprene sports boots, that would be welcome!

pintopiaffe
Nov. 8, 2009, 03:57 PM
I use the metal curry on my neoprene stuff.

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Why I have hardwood floors. With blue merle dogs, multicolored cats, and grey and bay horses, I just make sure all the hair is clean, so I wash often in a front loading washer. One time a cashier and bag boy at the grocery store both guessed wrong when they thought the white hairs on my black shirt were from a dog or a cat..........grey horse hair.

TheJenners
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
Dang...I was hoping for some sort of miracle idea. I have a border collie, and his hair is EVERYWHERE. And so's mine :(. I've pulled my hair out of upholstery where it has worried under about 15 different threads, the dryer can't get it, they even get woven into my the threads of my SOCKS. Between the dog hair and my hair, I have to vacuum two or three times a week just for hair. :dead:

TripleRipple
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:34 PM
I too came to read this thread hoping for a hair miracle cure, but all I am finding is other people in the same boat:)

My horses are deep almost brownish red, so while my navy blue polar fleeces are likely hair polluted, it isn't as noticeable. The white dog hairs? Swear, last time I was in a checkout line with what I thought was my black fleece jacket on, I was startled when the checker asked "what kind of dog do you have? I mean, I know it is white, but what breed?".

And GilbertCreeksideAcres - oh, my sides split from lol at your response:) Been there, have the hairy t-shirt!

Foxtrot's
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:32 AM
Rule #1 - buy your coolers in a colour similar to your horse. True - I have a gorgeous wool cooler in a blue/grey plaid that hardly shows the hair from my grey horse.

Blugal
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:44 AM
Rule #2 - don't wear polar fleece around horses.

That's the only thing that's worked for me! Learned my lesson the hard way one day when I was body-clipping a horse...

CatOnLap
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:22 AM
my dog groomer uses her leaf blower to blow the hair off polar fleece when clipping or grooming. Works pretty well, as long as you are outside!