PDA

View Full Version : What type of feed is best for the eventer?

eventr4life
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
Right now my horse is on Farnam Platform Performance. I am currently leasing him and the owner told us to feed him this because it is what he was used to eating.

But our supplier no longer supplys it, and i was already wanting to switch him over to something more suited to his needs.
He has allergies like corn, and molasses but this feed has molasses in it which confuses me because he has not reactions to it....
Anyways, what feed do you feed your horse, why do you feed, and what do you like about it?
Thanks!!!

deltawave
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
What ARE his needs, exactly? What is in the forage he's getting and how much does he get? How much work does he do, how is he thriving now and why do you want to switch other than availability?

There are probably 101+ ways to feed a horse correctly; why not see what you have available at your feed store and see if you can come close to what he's getting now? Or, start from scratch, figure out what he actually needs above and beyond the hay he eats, and fill in the gaps with the simplest product you can?

Lone
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:13 PM
I feed Safe Choice by Nutrena and my horses have all done well on it. It doesn't have corn, but I'm not sure about the molassas

pegasusmom
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:55 AM
What Deltawave said.
Our base feed is a 10% pellet and high quality hay, plus beet pulp. The big horse (competing at Intermediate) gets Pennfield Gran Prix Granola, or Ultra Max plus alfalfa pellets during the season. Diet changes to some extent based on what they are doing at the time. One of the polocrosse horses and my driving pony are on a low starch diet.
Depends on the horse. Depends on the level of competition. Depends on the hay you feed.

jn4jenny
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
Since it's a lease horse, I'd also be talking to the owner about the available alternatives. I know that if I leased my horse out and someone switched the feed without my input, I'd be livid.

eventr4life
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
Im only doing research currently on the best feed. I wont be switching or changing ANYTHING without talking to her. Im probably one of the most annoying lessees on things like this ;):lol: