PDA

View Full Version : Boyd Martin as a clinician?

Viva
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm trying to line up a clinician for next year at our farm and was thinking about Boyd...for those of you who've ridden with him, what did you think? Specifically, how is he with lower level riders and green horses? Many of our clinic participants are BN-level adults or pony clubbers, so I want someone who treats them with respect and moves them forward without scaring them.
And yes, I know, the eye candy is a bonus :D

eventr4life
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:56 PM
I dont know much about him accept I heard that he is a great coach!!

TallyhoFarms
Nov. 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
Organized and rode in a clinic with him this summer. LOVED him! Had riders from BN on up and he was great. Challenging without being scary, technical questions without height which works great for all levels. Totally recommend him, oh yeah, and he's nice to look at :)

Snapdragon
Nov. 8, 2009, 04:59 AM
I just finished the fourth lesson I had with him last night. He's just great.

I've been getting over a confidence issue from a fall for about the past year. You know what I really like about him? I'm an adult ammie, and he is completely nonjudgmental, doesn't treat you like you're lesser than, tells you exactly what you should be doing, gives you tons of confidence, is very focused in his teaching, and is a really nice guy to boot.

I went to a horse trial today, and all that great teaching really paid off. I'm so proud of my girl, who was brilliant. It's been a hard road with the little whipper snapper, and I credit him for making it a bit easier.

regeventer
Nov. 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hey Snapdragon - where did you ride with him???? I rode in a group lesson Friday night - we must've been at the same place????
And, BTW, he is great - very good with greenies and lower levels!!!

jenm
Nov. 8, 2009, 03:07 PM
My green horse participated in the TallyhoFarms clinic this summer with Boyd and it was great! I did not ride her, my trainer's assistant did, but he did a fabulous job considering the other horses in the group were more experienced. At the end, you would never have known my horse was green!

I highly recommend Boyd as a clinician. As a bonus, he even kissed my horse at the end! :D

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/BoydKissingJamaicaCR.jpg

He's the best! :yes:

Viva
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback! Now hopefully he won't be so busy trying to make the team for WEG that he isn't doing clinics next summer!!

EmmyTheHemi
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
Specifically, how is he with lower level riders and green horses? Many of our clinic participants are BN-level adults or pony clubbers, so I want someone who treats them with respect and moves them forward without scaring them.

Specifically, he was fabulous when I rode with him last summer. We had a suitable mix: good BN adult on experienced horse, new-ish BN hunter convert on less-than-brave horse, competent young pony clubber on raw green horse, and a couple 2nd-year adult BN riders on decent BN mounts, with an issue or two. He handled the mix very well.

And what I liked best was the respect and moving forward without scaring parts. He was quiet and very matter-of-fact about the exercises. He corrected when necessary and complemented when appropriate. And we all did waaaay more than we thought we would do at the start of the session. Book him if you can. :)

Catalina
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
I rode in a clinic last spring at Loch Moy with him. The weather was horrible, but everything else was great. I learned a ton about riding XC, especially the proper position when galloping between the jumps and the subtle changes to make before the jump. He was very patient and worked with everyone equally. The best part, though, was when he told me that I might just have a real horse (meaning upper level) in Connor :D (not that I have a real rider in me :lol:).

Viva
Nov. 9, 2009, 03:45 PM
Emmy, I read your title and all I could think of was Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally :lol:

EmmyTheHemi
Nov. 9, 2009, 03:55 PM
Emmy, I read your title and all I could think of was Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally :lol:

Not a coincidence. :D