PDA

View Full Version : What else have you brought home, while horse-shopping?

shygirl
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
I went pony shopping last week, found an adorable little mare, made an offer.
Sellers conferred and decided "That would be fine, as long as you take our bunnies too!" LOL!

My kind husband just shook his head in resignation when I gave him this exciting news. (Honestly, I'm not overly fired up about the bunnies myself, but hey, the kids are thrilled!)

Anyone else get an unexpected "package deal?"

Luckydonkey
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
We have brought home a goat once as a package deal....an a couple of kittens on another deal... I am always bringing stuff home though, so no biggie...:D

ToiRider
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:13 AM
Well, this isn't quite the same, but I went shopping for my horse and bought him a farm. The farm came with a free chocolate lab and some free cats. They were a bonus surprise from the Seller and were NOT part of the sales contract. Of course, I then had to get my gelding another horse (I found a WONDERFUL mare on the Giveaway forum). He also got a horse trailer, and he is currently shopping for a truck to pull it. If only he paid the bills (sigh).

pintopiaffe
Nov. 7, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think we all learned the dangers of new hay dealers from MY shopping experience... :no: :lol:

harveyhorses
Nov. 7, 2009, 02:33 PM
Went to look at a pony, which did not suit us, but bought a horse VAN instead.
Not sure the DH ever really got over that one. :cool:

suz
Nov. 7, 2009, 03:51 PM
went to look at a horse who turned out to be not right for us.
but felt sorry for the limping little goat the horse was bullying and took him home with us. seller gave him to me because of the limp, which was gone after a week and never came back!!

NancyM
Nov. 8, 2009, 10:03 AM
We went to look at an appy gelding for my hubby. Nice horse, bought him. But the people had sold the farm, and were leaving soon, and still had this little old pony who was living with the appy gelding. "Would you take the pony too?". OK throw him onto the trailer, dunno what we will do with him, but he wanted to come. He lived with a variety of horses over the next year, the appy didn't really like him that much, and was often mean to him. But the pony was very attached to just about anyone he lived with, to the extent that he would try to jump out over the stall door whenever his companion went out for some riding/training. He was only about 11 hands high, pinto. He would hook his little front feet over the top of the stall door, and hop up and down off his hind feet. "I can get over this door, I know I can". Please give me a full size showjumper with this optimism. We eventually gave him away to a friend with a small child, as a lead line pony. We had never been told the pony's name when we aquired him, but she called him Goliath.

Drive NJ
Nov. 8, 2009, 10:49 AM
Friends went looking for a cheap cart for a free pony. Came home with a Paso Fino. They were 'hooked' for life on both the driving pony AND and Paso soon to be 2 Pasos

judybigredpony
Nov. 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
I went to pick-up A filly came home w/ filly and a gelding. Next day went to see some mares operative word see. Came home w/ 2 in-foal mares.

Also have come home w/ a one eyed Rooster and 2 kittens.
A pony who turned out pregnant.

Also after several well placed drinks came home w/ a horse "alot" older than told, dead lame that eventually turned out to be an awesome 4ft jumper.

RacetrackReject
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
A fellow student and I went to a horse auction with our trainer to pick up said trainer's husband a donkey. We came back with 4 horses. Two were so thin it was amazing they were alive (reg Arabian and QH from same owners), 1 was a geriatric QH gelding with a horrible parrot mouth that we begged the meat man to unload his whole trailer so we could pull him off of the front, and the last was a cute reg. Paint mare we purchased as a resale to make up for the other 3. The 2 thin ones made amazing recoveries after some oral surgeries and were sold to students. The Arabian is a pasture puff and the other is a great PC mount. The old QH was purchased by a family looking for something to help heal their family. He did his job well and was humanely put down several years later due to colic. The mare went on to another PC home.

We also once came home with 2 kittens and a horse. The husband showed us the horse and while we were checking him out, we started playing with some kittens. He said that they had had an ad in the paper to give them away and we could have them if we wanted. Our trainer ok'd it and we brought them home. Later that evening, after his wife got home, we received a phone call that the husband would be coming to pick up the kittens as wife was NOT happy when she got home and found them gone. LOL.

imapepper
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
Well....I went shopping for a horse for a friend and came home with the horse myself :rolleyes: That wasn't suposed to happen :)

SarEQ
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:03 PM
My boss brought some kittens home with a load of hay... does that count?

They were a surprise!

unbridledoaks
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:46 PM
Chickens..... I remember picking up a pony and looking out across the pasture, watching these little birds just scratch around. They were so cute! I asked the lady if any where for sale. She told me if I could catch them, they were mine. I caught 4 that day :) LOL!!

carp
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:52 PM
Went to look at a pony, which did not suit us, but bought a horse VAN instead.
Not sure the DH ever really got over that one. :cool:

How did you load the van into the trailer you'd brought for the pony? :D

Go Fish
Nov. 11, 2009, 02:45 AM
4 peahens. I don't recommend it.

Grataan
Nov. 11, 2009, 05:20 AM
A friend of mine and I went to a horse auction just to have a look-see. We brought the trailers but not really intending to buy anything. We came home with 15 yearling TB fillies to save them from the canner - bought the whole lot for $500. Whoopsies. What can we say? Does it come as any surprise the look of anxiety that crosses DH's face when he catches me perusing the horse ads....
Oh my,

and I thought I was bad --I went to the local horse and tack sale to get a 28" cinch and brought home a National Show Horse. Daughter of a US National Champion. Trots above level barefoot...dead broke. 12 years old.

for 74 dollars.

Dr Mr G was not pleased to have another English horse in the barn lol

2Below
Nov. 11, 2009, 09:19 AM
Had to chime in:
I have a friend who went to a farm to buy A guinea pig. Came home with several gp's, a couple barn kittens, an underweight sleigh-footed donkey and a severely foundered mini who required extensive, expensive hoof rehab.

Same friend went to an auction solely to sell 2 mini donkeys. Came home with an arab pony, a fresh weaned, wild colt and 2 mini donkeys.
I think she has a problem!