PDA

View Full Version : best barn dog blanket?

pintopiaffe
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:15 AM
Not the froo-froo things I've found in the pet store that would not survive a single roll in frozen horse manure...

I need a good blanket for Malarkey. He's only 8 this year, but after almost dying on the surgical table, seems to have his aches and pains. He's always cold... but this year he's lost some weight (which is a GOOD thing) and is particularly bothered...

Ideally one that's not too heavy for the house, as he's actually cold in the house too.

Polarfleece need not apply unless it is covered by something that repels shavings and twigs and such.

Oh, he's medium sized too, about 80lbs and a deep chest and girth.

ToiRider
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
I don't have any recommendations regarding a dog blanket for her to wear, but for the aches and pains there is a wonderful medicine called "Aches and Pains" (http://www.vitamindeal.com/vbest-dog-care-pain-50.html). I started my old dog on it when she was 12 when I thought I was going to have to have her put down because she was so stiff and sore. Well, she is 14 now, circles the pasture looking for fresh horse poop (which may be her other personal fountain of youth) and RUNS across the yard sometimes. Wonderful stuff, and everyone that I have gotten to try it swears by it. And no, I don't sell it or have any personal interest in it, other than being very happy that I discovered it. I order her a 6 month supply of it so I always have some on hand. It also works wonders for dogs who are sore from too much exercise (my GSD occasionally gets hip sore from hill work).

I am probably stating the obvious, but lots of fresh straw where your dog sleeps will help keep her toasty in addition to her dog wrap. I think nothing works better than straw for dog bedding. I almost never see straw anymore.

CDE Driver
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
I have several Polar Shield brand blankets for my dog. I got them at our local farm store and they were less than $20. They are like horse blankets. No fleece anywhere! I think Chick's Saddlery also carries them. They are quite tough and wash really well.

They also had sweatshirts for dogs. I got one of those too for inside when it's chilly.

Oh, my dog is an 85 pound Boxer.

Calvincrowe
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:45 AM
I have had good luck with Schneider's dog blankets--I have a waterproof turnout sheet for my Schnoodle who is always cold, and hates getting wet. It is unlined, but I think they sell a lined version too. Good fit, closed front, belly surcingle. I think Smartpak sells dog blankets, as well.

I can layer his Weatherbeeta fleece under it, for those really cold days. Jack (the Schnood) loves his fleece--he runs to get it put on, and wears it happily all day. He looks very jaunty in his blackwatch plaid. All the other dogs say so....;)

shakeytails
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
I don't know about the best, but I sure do like the looks of the Baker dog blankets- they look so traditional.

appychik
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
Our Cocker Spaniels (so yes, house dogs :winkgrin:) wear Smartpak blankets in the winter. They are going on their third winter and still look amazing. They fit a little differently... I think we ended up needing to reorder one blanket because the fit was off (he measured for a large, but it was too big or something like that). They aren't overly warm/bulky... so our dogs wear their indoors too.

TripleRipple
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've been using a fleece coat called Fido Fleece for years. I find them on sale for around <$20, usually near the end of the year (a little harder to find in larger sizes on sale, but I've amassed quite a few). They repel the snow, the dogs come out to the barn with me in them, toasty warm, and roll in the hay and all the stuff you don't want them to roll in without any problems.

The only drawbacks are that if there is a stiff wind, I put a Ruff Wear K-9 overcoat on either by itself or over the fleece coat (REI sale when they have them for <$30 and they stay in place on the dog very well) - nothing sticks to this overcoat, like sometimes shavings or hay will to the Fido Fleece. And we did get a tear in the fleece when the dog ran under a barbed wire fence some hundred acres from the house, but that has only happened once in 10 years (no wire anywhere close).

Both of my older dog wear their Ruff coat inside with no problems. Sometimes a dog can pull a foot up inside the Fido fleece, and might trip if they are flying down stairs or jumping on/off beds, so I didn't use those inside as much - depends on how crazy active your dog is inside - my GSPs were zipping around even when elderly!.

Fido Fleece example: http://www.ourdogslife.com/site/1602932/product/32-7968941

Ruff wear coat example: http://furlongspetsupply.com/ruffwear_winter_dog_coat.aspx

Pookah
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have a Great Dane who's a real wimp about the cold. She's only a part-time barn dog, but I just bought her a Thinsulate blanket from SmartPak. It was on sale for $30, plus free monogramming, and I love it! It's just like a tiny horse blanket, except with velcro instead of buckles, so it has no fleece to get staticy or dirty. It's waterproof, and the same type of exterior fabric as a turnout. Plus it's SmartPink plaid, which is just adorable :-)

SOTB
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
We tried a bunch for our boxer/great dane last year and finally settled on a weatherbeta. It looks like a horse blanket. She loves it and it really does help her.

Nauset
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
I love Smartpak's Thinsulate blankets. Mine have held up and I love the easy customization on the website. Plus they are affordable!! For REALLY cold days I layer the smartpak fleece one underneath.

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=3877

Pookah
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:39 AM
I will have to try the weatherbeeta one! I should have added, 27" is their largest size and my dog really needs a 31", but she's squishing in for now; I couldn't find a really large one that I liked.

BoysNightOut
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:29 AM
I bought the Schneider's Turnout Blanket for my dog (the 600D w/ Fill). I love the bellyband and the closed front. It fits her well, and keeps her warm. She runs around a LOT, yet the blanket always stays put.

Claddagh
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:51 AM
I LOVE the Weatherbeeta Orican dog blankets. They're made just like the horse version. They are GREAT blankets, really well made - my dogs all have them. They are really warm and they stay in place perfectly and they LAST! They're made of 1200 Denier, washable and waterproof! The velcro is amazingly strong (not like the junk on pet store dog blankets).

I will have to try the weatherbeeta one! I should have added, 27" is their largest size and my dog really needs a 31", but she's squishing in for now; I couldn't find a really large one that I liked.

Pookah - The Weatherbeeta Orican dog blanket comes in sizes up to 32".

http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/ordogbl12mew.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QMEWOA/ref=asc_df_B002QMEWOA957355/?tag=shopzilla_mp_1185-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B002QMEWOA&linkCode=asn

pintopiaffe
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:58 AM
Oh, some good reccomendations & links, thank you!

I think a good waterproof outer for outside, and the polarfleece liner for inside is probably the right combo. Hopefully can swing it for him in the next week or two.

Of course, then Eamon's going to be jealous. :sigh: But he resembles a little black bear at the moment! He doesn't need a coat, he's got enough for three dogs! :p

Mali
Nov. 8, 2009, 03:47 PM
I bought the Schneider's Turnout Blanket for my dog (the 600D w/ Fill). I love the bellyband and the closed front. It fits her well, and keeps her warm. She runs around a LOT, yet the blanket always stays put.

I have a large Lab and I bought him the Schneiders sheet last year. I hate it. It is a closed front, and doesn't even come close to fitting around his neck. It's currently sitting in my sewing room, with the entire front disassembled. I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to alter it.

Simkie
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:26 PM
My FAVORITE dog blankets are Foggy Mountain...but they are expensive. As much as horse blankets :(

I keep my dogs--two Ridgebacks--in Fido Fleece or RC Pets fleece all winter (including in the house) and throw on a waterproof Foggy Mountain when they go outside.

I've tried a lot of the other blankets mentioned in this thread, and they just don't compare to the Foggy Mountains.

TripleRipple
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:25 PM
I should say a bit more re the Fido Fleeces, as I think these are just the best out there in terms of warmth, ease of use and overall comfort.

I think the problem with my dogs and the fido fleece in the house was more a result of their build. They are GSPs, who do have a somewhat barrel chest, but mine were very lean sided, which sometimes allowed the front leg part to rest a bit lower down on their legs, than if they were of a heavier build (although I'd have thought that ridgebacks had a somewhat similar build?) which would fill out the fleece a bit more and not result in the legging ever hanging too low.

Like when they are curled up sleeping in the fleeces, sometimes a leg will suck back into the body of the fleece, and then being shorthairs, they won't let that hold them back from flying up and jumping down off a high bed and blowing out of the bedroom in a fast three legged trot. Nobody was ever hurt, but as they got older and continued to refuse to act their age, it used to give me a stroke:)

Plus we have stairs and sucking a leg back into the fleece never stopped them from flying down those stairs three legged, and it was a front leg sucked up! Can you imagine? They'd fly straight to me hopping like that to straighten it out for them.

This has been a great thread - should I ever need another outside overcoat, I have a list now of ones to look at!

Simkie
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:37 PM
I should say a bit more re the Fido Fleeces, as I think these are just the best out there in terms of warmth, ease of use and overall comfort.

I think the problem with my dogs and the fido fleece in the house was more a result of their build. They are GSPs, who do have a somewhat barrel chest, but mine were very lean sided, which sometimes allowed the front leg part to rest a bit lower down on their legs, than if they were of a heavier build (although I'd have thought that ridgebacks had a somewhat similar build?) which would fill out the fleece a bit more and not result in the legging ever hanging too low.

Like when they are curled up sleeping in the fleeces, sometimes a leg will suck back into the body of the fleece, and then being shorthairs, they won't let that hold them back from flying up and jumping down off a high bed and blowing out of the bedroom in a fast three legged trot. Nobody was ever hurt, but as they got older and continued to refuse to act their age, it used to give me a stroke:)

My ridgebacks have never--not once--gotten a leg stuck in a Fido fleece or a RC Pets (http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/browse/category/id/586#main_panel) fleece. But maybe I buy smaller than you do? The end of both fleece jackets hit perhaps 4" short of the base of the tail. They are very snugged up to the chest. One dog is a couch potato and laid back, and the other is a ball of energy that runs laps in the back yard.

Also, the RC Pets jackets are quite a bit more "fitable." Fido fleece doesn't give you much in the way of custom fitting--the RC Pets stuff has several velcro areas that you can adjust a little tighter or a little looser.

TripleRipple
Nov. 8, 2009, 10:48 PM
Simkie - I bet that is the reason why we have a different experience with these fleeces. I do remember buying based on the measurement to the base of the tail, so they end exactly at that point, not 4" short. They are somewhat loose in the chest, but I wouldn't say snugged up tight at all. I did buy one that was in a smaller size once, but it fit so tight and left so much backside exposed that I felt bad for the oldster being a bit bare there when it was just above/below zero outside:) Although a tighter fit is better/safer than too loose, for sure.

I've had the thought that if I were handy with a needle and thread, I'd just add another line of velcro at the top which would let me adjust them a bit tighter around and they would be just right. I will remember for future use that the RC jackets do that - and maybe figure out how to customize these Fidos a bit so that when an inside need arises again, I'll be ready. My Ruff Wear jackets don't come with the front partial legs, so they fit perfectly everywhere with easy adjustments. But don't serve the same purpose as the fleeces. And I should also add - this is never an issue when they are outside running their paws off in these fleeces on walks over hundreds of acres, which makes no sense, and I have no clue why it happened inside a few times but never outside.

When my dogs did wear them inside, they absolutely loved them. While my old girl was alive, I still put hers on inside if I was there doing stuff her near by, but if I went outside to work, I just stoked up the woodstove and threw a soft blanket on the couch for her, as that was her favorite spot. At the moment, neither of my two show much interest in anything other than having a warm woodstove waiting for them:)

BoysNightOut
Nov. 9, 2009, 06:28 AM
I have a large Lab and I bought him the Schneiders sheet last year. I hate it. It is a closed front, and doesn't even come close to fitting around his neck. It's currently sitting in my sewing room, with the entire front disassembled. I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to alter it.

Oh, that's too bad. My dog is a 40lb Border Collie/Cattle Dog mix....I found the neck fit her perfectly, as well as the bellyband. I've never tried them on a larger dog.

I am going to be getting one for my boyfriend's enormous Pitt mix....hopefully it fits her OK too.