PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of Riding in the Fall

jazzrider
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:46 PM
I went for a nice long trail ride today, just me and my TWH Luke and a friend from one of our riding clubs. TWICE I lost the trail, that I ride there at least once or twice a week, because the leaves on the ground covered the trail and confused me. We got trapped by trees and forced to stop, and Luke turns around and looks at me like I'm an idiot. This is not the trail, mom. Yeah, I know these trails. :rolleyes:

I also layered in a turtleneck, fleece jacket and windbreaker because it was in was in the 40's when we started -- and was just near roasting by the end three hours later.

But it was a gorgeous day otherwise, and really nice to see the changes in the landscape from summer. I really like riding in the cold, and Luke knows it so we had a fun ride with his happy little march.

What are your joys?

JustTrails
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you had a really nice day! Do you ride with other gaited horses? I love the change of seasons as well. Although I have to say here in So. Calif it's hard to tell when the seasons change!

My fall/winter joys are an older mare that is feeling good, cool weather, perhaps a bit misty. My friend, Gretchen, that is a blast to ride with, on her intrepid gelding, Bugsy. Well, really, any day on the trail!

jazzrider
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you had a really nice day! Do you ride with other gaited horses?

About half of my riding buddies (and my DH) have gaited horses. Both our gaited horses definately go better when they hear that gaited rhythm around them. But we ride with a lot of "regular breeds." The guy I rode with yesterday had a cute little QH with a quick step. He said that he can get grumpy riding with gaited horses because of the difference in the pace, but our guys actually really did well together. I'm working to get my TWH Luke out without my DH's horse, to build his confidence (he's a little herd bound to him). He was surprisingly good. I'm so proud of him. :yes:

Zu Zu
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
Love the Fall Season for riding ~ my favorite !! - cool & no humidity and no BUGS ! Yesterday I jogged two hackneys around the property through the leaves and then rode my ASB Kate through the woods ~ wearing an orange vest for protection ~ in case there was a hunter where he was not suppose to be..:eek: Enjoy every day of fall weather it won't last long enough for me !

jazzrider
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:27 AM
YOU jogged? As in your feet on the ground, running? That sounds like exercise! That is not joy. :no:

:winkgrin:

Zu Zu
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:46 AM
YOU jogged? As in your feet on the ground, running? That sounds like exercise! That is not joy. :no:

:winkgrin:
I jogged the hackneys :lol:- drove them * they jogged ~ I sat in jog cart and pleasure cart ~ it was most likely more enjoyable for me than them but a good time was had by all !!

jazzrider
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:57 AM
Oh, ok! That's much better! :lol:

tabula rashah
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:57 AM
Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year to ride, leaves, crisp air, wood fires, apple cider :)- I hate hot weather so the temp is usually just about perfect for me- Now if I could only get ride of the some of the hunters fall would be perfect

ayrabz
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:54 AM
I hate cold weather. But I mean 'really' cold weather. Because I board, when I awake early (!) at home, and figure 'do I go to the barn today?' and its 30 degrees or less, and overcast, I ususally have no incentive to do so!! By the time it warms up, it would be difficult to get there, back, and have a nice ride time and a cool down afterwards, before dinner at home, etc.
So, as someone who cannot 'walk out the door' and see them right there (!) I find fall/winter, while 'great' opportunities to ride on 'nice' days...are harder for me to truly enjoy...Now, summer....when you get up early, and its great to get out to the boarding barn, ride in the cooler temps and be finished by noon (!) is wonderful.
I'm not a 'ride at night' person, either, and winter, cold temps and overcast days put me straight into that 'dark days' depression.
Its funny, because my BO HATES the heat, as much as I HATE the cold---so we laugh that we get to ride together a few weeks out of the year in Spring and Indian Summer.

The other big peeve I have about fall/winter is the hunting.
I'm sorry, but unless you have a State Park at your door, I find I do NOT go out on trails on private property very much. I ride those trails all summer long, but when its hunting season, and the shots are loud all around, I do not trust going.
Love the parks in the season, but hauling can be a hassle to be planned for too. so, again...YES I love a beautiful warm fall day and the ride, but find I seldom get to ride one in my situation.

baylady7
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:55 PM
I love riding in the fall for the temps, the lack of bugs and the beautiful foliage here. I am also wary of the hunters but lucky to be able to hack places without them and to wear my orange vest and our bells.

cloudy18
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
How long are your hunting seasons? Our main gun/deer season is 9 days and I would never ride during that. I keep the horses out of the pasture too, theyty up near the house. There are other T-zones and youth hunt days and such, but the crowds are not out in force so I wear orange and ride and it's usually fine. Occasionally I run into grouse hunters, but that isn't a big deal, and bow hunters aren't much of a worry.
I love the cooler temps and no bugs, although we had a warm-uplast weekend and the Japanese Beetles and gnats were out in force!
I had the same issue as jazzrider the other day. I took a trail from the opposite end as usual and it's kind of obscure there anyway. Well then I totally lost it, then found it after some wandering, then came to several areas where I couldn't tell where the trail went bc the leaves were down and everything looked wide enough to be a trail. Gus knows the way but he was not helpful bc he just kept trying to wander off and eat, had no interest in getting out!
I wish we had more days of 50-ish degrees before the painfully cold stuff sets in.