PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite part about your barn?

eventr4life
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:42 PM
We are renovating a barn and i was curious what cool things you love in your barn, or boarding barn. Also, what extra precautions have you gone through to keep your horse extra safe?
Any suggestions are great!

CBudFrggy
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:08 PM
The ladies at our co-op barn are adding a gazebo, with a table and chairs, so we have a place to relax for after-ride chats.

Mukluk
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:08 AM
there is always beer in our fridge : )

K.
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:08 AM
I think my favorite things are the bathroom with a shower, wash stall with heat lamps and racks for hanging wet blankets. :)
wow.. I guess I'm sort of spoiled :)

KateWooten
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:17 AM
I like its location (30 ft from back door) and the fact that it's mine :) (Although it would be nice if it had heated wash racks, or heat, or electricity, or water, or stalls. But it IS mine !

xitmom
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:30 AM
I like the wide aisles. My horse is leery about going into tight dark spaces. I also really like the heated room for drying wet coolers. What I like the most are the nice people and zen atmosphere, and that is hard to recreate!

atleventer
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
my barn was built especially for my family. i love it. my favorite things about it are: a washer and dryer, a large utility sink in the tack room, insulated stalls, ample wash rack space, and plenty of storage room.

Ibex
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:45 PM
It's well lit, cozy in the winter and cool in the summer.

It's also not a huge barn, and the BO/Trainer has a zero tolerance policy on drama, so it makes for a nice environment.

ottb dressage
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
mt brand new tack room, is my favorite part. but we just underwent a major renovation thanks to our local amish barn builders so the exterior, roof, windows and doors are all new as well. we didn't have the $$ to renovate the stalls but that is in the works for next summer. the tack room is all pine and smells wonderful. i have all my blankets stacked in rubbermaid tubs and the feed is in metal trash cans. plenty of saddle racks and bridle hooks are helpful too. also, the floor is concrete with rubber mats and all weather carpet. so it cleans up easily, and stays clean easy.

slp2
Nov. 7, 2009, 01:08 PM
I think about safety and convenience things. One of the things I have experienced at other boarding places is the huge sliding barn doors that get frozen shut (or frozen open) or are just a struggle to close when it's windy. My current barn has "garage door" style barn doors. They actually have automatic openers on them too. SOOOO handy when you are holding a horse and have to open the door--just press the button. Nothing to get off track or bent by the wind.

One other thing I have seen at another barn is those wheels for the bottom of the big pasture gates. Again, when you are holding a horse (and have others milling around) there is nothing worse than a gate that flys open unless you are holding it (while trying to hold onto your horse). The wheel thing makes it so you can stop the gate at a mid-point (enough to get a horse through) but you still have 2 hands to work with. It's isn't a "design" idea for you--but still worth mentioning.

redears
Nov. 7, 2009, 03:03 PM
I am moving to a new barn December 1st, and what I like about the new barn is she has hooks all along two rooms to hang blankets. Living in the midwest, both of my horses have several different weight clothing, as well as "trade ins" to trade out so I can wash/repair. I thought this was a brilliant idea, as I usually store them in the trunk of my car.

GotSpots
Nov. 7, 2009, 03:23 PM
Heat lamps in the wash stall - and warm water. A feed room separate from the tack room with a sink with warm and cold water. Good places to hang wet muddy blankets so they can dry. Shelving next to the cross ties for grooming equipment and towels. A big medicine cabinet, with lots of shelves and room for bandages, meds, towels, hoof-packing, etc. Lots of storage for galloping boots, wraps, polos, etc.

And a row of kind furry faces hanging over stall doors to say good morning and isn't it time for breakfast.

deltawave
Nov. 7, 2009, 03:32 PM
It is 600 feet from my house. :D

My horses can come in and go out as they please.

I have the daily chores engineered to take about 20-30 minutes, tops.

Automatic waterer: no hoses or buckets to touch, EVER.

Instant-on hot water heater.

Not having to share the tack room with anyone. 192 square feet, ALL MINE! :lol:

Mowing the pastures = therapy. ;)

selah
Nov. 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
Extra wide center aisle...big enough for vet or farrier to drive their truck in, in bad weather.

Partitions between the stalls that are channel-set 2" oak. Make for 12X12 stalls which can be converted to 12X24 (or even 12X48) for foaling or lay-up stalls.

One side of the barn has a roofline high enough to accomodate ceiling fans, which is nice for circulating air without creating a big draft.

quietann
Nov. 7, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think my favorite things are the bathroom with a shower, wash stall with heat lamps and racks for hanging wet blankets. :)
wow.. I guess I'm sort of spoiled :)

If I could pick one thing to add to the current barn, it would be a shower in the bathroom. I can't go straight from the barn to anything else; have to go home and shower first, which is annoying.

RunForIt
Nov. 7, 2009, 04:41 PM
1. It's a 1 minute walk from my kitchen.
2. the sound of my horses eating hay when they're all inside during bad weather and I turn off the lights to go back to said kitchen .
3. the barn aisle is always cleaner than my kitchen floor...sweep, sweep, sweep...:cool:

Cinnabon2004
Nov. 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
I can't go straight from the barn to anything else; have to go home and shower first, which is annoying.

Maybe I'm just strange, but unless it's something super important, I really get a kick out of going grocery shopping, etc. in my dirty riding gear (after I ride). I love the smell of horses and leather, plus, everyone just conveniently moves out of the line I'm in :lol:. It's like having a SunPass for Walmart checkout lines.

And in the barn I board at there is a NO drama policy which is fantastic, and there is also a huge oak tree with a table that wraps around it with benches. Whenever my friends and I are done riding nothing beats taking a cool glass of water, maybe an apple, and sitting on the bench and talking while the horses graze on lead lines. :yes:

Abracadabra
Nov. 7, 2009, 05:18 PM
its at home! although we don't have the luxury of an indoor (yet!!) like others have said its 500' from the front door, and we built it ourselves, all the padock fencing, and 4 stall barn, converted from a horrible greenhouse storage barn! the aisle is 14' wide, and the stalls 10'x14' (the ridge beam & posts were already at 14'), we laid the aisle floor with stunning interlock brick, which is really easy to sweep, and looks smart & clean. the stalls were made from kits (system fence) and even if i "toot my own horn" we did an excellent job they look new, and work great. i always sit and listen to the horses munching peacefully, and can't believe we did it all ourselves.

kcrubin
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:44 PM
number one is the people - some of us have been together 19 years!

second - it backs up to 1100 acres of open space that is horse friendly.

we also keep beer in the frig.

wants:
bathroom, heated tack room, better ring footing (it's grass)
the above would be fixed if I owned it but alas, I lease - probably couldn't afford it if it or something similar in our fantastic school district were for sale so I'm not complaining.

EiRide
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:13 PM
Well, once you get past it's mine and the turnout, I love that I have all these big and odd sized stalls built in my bank barn (we were going with the structures and support beams)--my little stall is 10 x 14, and my big stalls are 16 x 20.

scubed
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
In terms of the barn building aspect, love the big tack rooms and the wide aisles with removable outside wall so that in the winter, we are cozy and in the summer, the stalls are open to the outdoors. Of course, best is the people.

clivers
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
I love our washstall: it's directly across from the tack room so I always groom/tack up there. THe good points: hot/cold water, heat lamps, kitchen cabinets to store all the horsey beauty products, natural light, and roomy.

Things I would change if I could: we need a bathroom at the barn (somehow I forgot, or thought we were close enough to the house).

All in all, it's definitely my dream barn, though :)

CarolinaGirl
Nov. 8, 2009, 12:11 PM
Bathroom! A heated bathroom would make it 10X better.. nothing like middle of the winter butt freeze when you HAVE to pee! I love when tack rooms are CLOSE to the cross ties you tack up in. More than one set of cross ties. Indoor wash rack with hot/cold water. If you've got a big place I'd be more inclined to try and put all your pasture gates as close to the barn as possible.. nothing like trying to get the horses in quickly when it decides to become cold and raining before you can get them in. Frozen ears and halters are not fun. OR run ins so they can stay out 24/7 and can be smart and get under shelter if they are so inclined.

Oh oh and how bout RINGS you can ride in... my current grumble and am currently paying $15 a month to the barn next door to hack/trailer over there to ride in their rings because the barn owner at my barn is essentially an idiot when it comes to doing things correctly (who's engineer husband is just as clueless). The answer is NOT to add more sand or to make a ring by dumping sand on top of dirt (aka mud).. ugh! She takes great care of the horses, but they are just NOT being smart with putting in "rings". I'd rather have grass to ride on than that stuff. Needless to say I will be out of there as soon as a spot opens up at another barn where I'm on the waiting list.

paintedponiesrule
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:08 PM
The very best thing about my barn is the big run in sheds. My horses hate being in side so it is a very nice alternative, I know they can get out of the weather and I dont have to clean stalls!

Zu Zu
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
Best thing ? !!! is a day with my horses, ponies and cats and no interruptions ~ all by myself to enjoy !!!!

bambam
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
well the best things are the people and the care but in terms of the facility:
- heated bathroom (with shower) and tack room
- plenty of storage space both in the tack room and in the hayloft for the extra stuff
- well- ventilated stalls and aisles
- large stalls with windows in each stall that can be shut in bad weather
- hot water in the tack room, the wash stalls and the bathroom
- indoor with good footing that is dragged regularly and has a spinkler system to cut down on dust
- enough pasture for horses to be out almost all the time and still rest pastures
- a couple of smaller paddocks for the lay-up/rehabbing horses although frankly we could use more
I am sure there is more but that is what springs to mind