PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Eventing Dressage Tests

Trak_Eventer
Nov. 6, 2009, 05:08 PM
Just saw that the new tests were released today on the USEA website!
What does everyone think of them?

I am really happy with the changes to the Training level tests!

gold2012
Nov. 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
They sure changed the tests. I like some of the BN, not sure about the canter...but will see. I like the training changes...

BUT wow what changes in Preliminary. I had to get out my doodle pad to see that one.

Haven't read through intermediate yet.

SweetieG
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:03 PM
Like 'em!

Glad they did away with the half diagonals. Never did like that turn.

I actually think I'll like the canter departs approaching X on the circle.

It's just good to change it up a bit.

Let's all go out and get some 20's! :lol:

Divine Comedy
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:20 PM
I do like that the new Prelim tests have a C option for a large arena, I like that they took out the shoulder-ins and added leg yields for prelim.

I do NOT like that the free walk is weighted double, and that's not just for prelim. Both Intermediate and Advanced have the extended walk double weighted. Pretty uncool, if you ask me.

eventerwannabe
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
I like BN B....I'll have to see how BN A rides. Yippee to no half diagonals....God those SUCKED!!:lol:

badawg
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:57 PM
As usual, the BN tests seem harder than the N. I guess I'm glad I'm officially moving up to N this year!

Heinz 57
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:16 PM
I thought the same thing, badawg.

Either way, I'm excited for the new stuff, just for the 'something different' factor. I've been doing straight dressage this year with my green bean and I definitely know which tests I like/dislike riding.

I'm not yet sure how I feel about the AXMC entry for BN. I understand trying to eliminate the 10 meter turn at C, but then you've still got to make the 10 meter turn at the end of the test at A, to the centerline. I'm surprised there wasn't a similar adjustment to the final turn down the centerline, maybe K to X with the halt at G or something like that.

three_dayer
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:02 PM
oh man, double weighted walk.....grand, my horse doen't have a very good walk...its a bit lateral...oh well, looks like fun, something different, and that the tests are mirror image(same thing both ways) maybe I will be able to remember them better....but extended trot across the diagonal in a large arena will be an adventure....thats a long way to sit a extended trot! my stomach hurts just thinking about it...hehe :)

gold2012
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:19 PM
All the tests are weighted in walk....I love it...my horses all seem to have amazing walks...I like the leg yield in Prelim, but I sure don't like counter canter all the way around the end of the arena...from b to e and e to b. I dunno, that might be tough for my guys.

saje
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:25 PM
Wow, they sure upped the ante in Training A! But it looks like it'll flow better. The canter circles in Tr B are odd, but I still like it better than before.

Off to go check out the others...

caevent
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:22 PM
All in all, it seems there's much better symmetry in all the tests. I don't think the lengthening in training B will ride very well after the stretchy circle - I can see a lot of horses diving onto the forehand there. I think the leg yield away from the wall, turn, change bend, leg yield away from the wall in the prelim will be a bit challenging. Can't wait to go out and practice!

SparklePlenty
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm planning to move up to training next fall and after looking at these test i realized - i need to step up my dressage!

Can anyone explain the half circle from E-B in the Novice test please? that has me quite confused..

TIA

SweetieG
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:52 AM
Sparkle,
The half circle E-B is just half of a 20m circle. You will trot the first half but as you approach B you will ask for your canter. Then starting at B you will complete an entire 20m circle at the canter. So, all in all, you are staying on the 20m for 1 1/2 circles. (The first half at a trot). Hope this makes sense.

flea52
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm not yet sure how I feel about the AXMC entry for BN. I understand trying to eliminate the 10 meter turn at C, but then you've still got to make the 10 meter turn at the end of the test at A, to the centerline. I'm surprised there wasn't a similar adjustment to the final turn down the centerline, maybe K to X with the halt at G or something like that.

They used this entry in the YEH tests. I don't think they were trying to get away from the 10 meter turn so much as trying to avoid having young babies trot straight towards the sometimes scary judges stand.

yellowbritches
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:55 AM
Excellent. Training tests are much improved. I rather have to do a lengthening off a stretchy circle than immediately out of the walk! At least they are going forward. I think I like the prelim tests, too, especially the one where you leg yield into the canter depart...since that's the sneaky trick I use to get a better depart, hopefully we'll rock those transitions! :lol: I can't decide if I like having the leg yields again or not. Last time I rode consistently at prelim we had them my horse at the time was an ass...it was easier to fake a shoulder in on him than get him to actually leg yield (without looking like a demented, intoxicated giraffe!). Vernon is far more amiable to the idea of leg yield, but we'll definitely have to clean them up over the winter.

flea, I've ridden my fair share of babies at BN who have been just as terrified of the scary judge's stand as a YEH horse would be...I think it is a VERY smart move, because it is HARD to ride that center line to the corner letter to a diagonal movement. Hard if you are on a green horse spooking at the white rails, flowers, people, air and hard if you are a BN rider riding your first few dressage tests. :yes:

TallyhoFarms
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:11 AM
Haven't looked at all the tests yet but I don't like the BN entrance :( Didn't like that AXMC when I did it for YEH either. Centerline is one thing I CAN do well! Can't wait to start learning the new tests, I think I'll make a clinic out of it!

KMErickson
Nov. 7, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm excited! Glad that Intermediate tests are now all in the standard ring, but a little nervous in the step up in difficulty they reflect. Prelim tests look great - I'm excited to get out practicing!!

2ndyrgal
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
and finally get to do BN, I am gonna LOVE the tests! I mean, what a gift to start the canter circle after a half circle of trot and already be on the right bend, yep, I'm in.

eventingismylife
Nov. 8, 2009, 12:28 AM
As usual, the BN tests seem harder than the N. I guess I'm glad I'm officially moving up to N this year!

Yay! Thats awesome!
I love the all new tests, I love the BN test- they seem pretty easy. I like that the A and B versions of each test are not pretty much the same test with a difference here or there as they have been in the past.

Hilary
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:24 AM
I really like the new training tests - lengthing the canter on the long side is SO much easier. And both tests flow symmetrically. I liked the old Training A fine, but Traning B was such a mishmash!

I think we had the circle/circle movement once before - it works OK, actually because at home you can practice a 10m circle and then a 20, so it teaches them 'small circle then bigger and lengthen'.

For prelim I'm glad they brought back leg yield too, I think.We've just spent 6 weeks mastering shoulder in... And that's a LOT of counter canter - much more than what they've ever asked before with just the few steps after the half-circle. We've got all season to worry about that though.

ds1035618
Nov. 8, 2009, 02:55 PM
I think the advance test are terrible. These are event horses not dressage horses. This will cater to most warmbloods.

Ruperman
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:41 PM
I was really excited to see that the tests had coefficients. I have a dressage background and appreciate the emphasis made on movements for the specific level. I was so excited and looked at what movements they were emphasizing in each test. All are the walk except for advanced which is the walk and flying changes. Does anyone else see a disconnect here? Or am I missing the point that someone is trying to make that event horses can't walk? Does anyone else care about coefficients? I'm just curious...

caevent
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:41 PM
I also find it odd that the coefficient is always the walk work. The walk is the hardest gait to improve, yes? So those horses who are not blessed with a great over-step are kind of screwed. Why not stress the trot stretch circle at training level? Or the counter canter or leg yields for prelim? Or the simple changes or lateral work for intermediate? Why aren't we rewarding the training instead of the gaits? :(

subk
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
A quality walk almost always indicates a quality gallop. As eventers a quality gallop is so important. When I'm looking at an eventing prospect it is all about the walk! The trot is the gait the WBs would get the most advantage on, yet is least advantageous in anything else we do. I'll put the quality of my young TB's walk up against anybody!

Janet
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:47 PM
To get a good walk, the horse needs to be BOTH forward and relaxed.

With event horses, it is often difficult to get both at the same time. Well worth gving a coef.

yellowbritches
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:49 PM
A quality walk almost always indicates a quality gallop. As eventers a quality gallop is so important. When I'm looking at an eventing prospect it is all about the walk! The trot is the gait the WBs would get the most advantage on, yet is least advantageous in anything else we do. I'll put the quality of my young TB's walk up against anybody!
Agree 100%! We say you can always improve the trot, you can't improve the canter...and you know they'll have a good canter/gallop if they have a good walk. Our good old Ruby Boy, as bad as he could be in the dressage, almost always got 8s and 9s on his walk work (and still has a remarkable walk for being half crippled and a fat "old" retired horse). Coefficients would have been nice for him!

Also, a good, quiet, ground covering walk WILL show good training and a relaxed and pleasant attitude. A tense, nervous, ill mannered horse often won't score well in the walk (ok...the above horse being an excpetion! :lol:). Watch some of the REALLY good 4 star tests. The horses walk in such a pleasant, business like but relaxed manner, eat up the ground, and have lovely floppy ears. Usually with that kind of work, you can bet the rest is going to be lovely...and with THOSE walks, you can also bet they are going to be FUN to watch gallop the next day. :yes:

tuppysmom
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:36 PM
DDs **** horse has a terrible walk. It's teeny tiny steps, usually accompanied by some nose blowing and maybe a squeal/snort. He looks like he has a corn cob where the sun doesn't shine. We take a short nap, or go to the concession stand when he gets to the walk in his test. There is plenty of time to get back before the next movement.

He is a rock star XC, though. I think he has 3 xc penalties on his record and one of those was a jj error that was not corrected.

I don't think that a poor walk indicates a poor jump.

caevent
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:42 PM
Of course a good walk is desirable, and every horse I own has a great walk, also a great gallop and jump. BUT, let's think about the masses who compete in eventing: amateur/junior riders at the lower levels. These riders should strive to own a horse with a fabulous mind and a safe jumping style. Again, why don't we put the coefficient somewhere that stresses training instead of scope in the gaits?

Tasker
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:48 AM
This is JMHO but I really like the new tests. More sequential, logical and equal questions presented in both directions...they appeal to my dressage side quite a bit.

EventingDiva
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think I like the prelim tests, too, especially the one where you leg yield into the canter depart...since that's the sneaky trick I use to get a better depart, hopefully we'll rock those transitions! :lol:

Yellowbritches-thought the same thing! My horses as well as my students should nail those transitions =)

I rode the BN and training tests on Saturday to get a sense for them. I thinking to BN canters at x will be hard for my green horse but hey we have all winter to work on them. Training tests seem great. My horse doesn't have a fabulous stretchy trot but it actually seemed to help him round his back to then do his lengthening. I'll have to run through the novice and prelim this week to see how they ride. I love the changes so far. I do think that the BN tests are harder then the novice tests as well.