PDA

View Full Version : What boots should a horse weat for cross country?

Crazy horse
Nov. 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have davis splints for him now,but I'm thinking a real boot might be needed.
What do you all use,and what do you not like?
I heard woof boots are good,but there are at least 5 different kind of woof boots,so which ones are good?
He can't wear open front jumping boots,can he?
Sorry of this sounds silly,but I wouldn't know what to choose.
:)

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
open fronts boot on xc are a pretty big no no because a horse could easily scrape up the front of his leg on one of the jumps.
Almost all of the Woof boots are a good choice, I prefer the double locking ones only because they are easier to put on (less straps) and its harder for the straps to come undone on cross country.
but even if you don't want to spend the money on woof boots I would definitely get rid of the davis splint boots (i'm really not a fan)

TxEventer81
Nov. 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
I agree, I really don't like Davis Splint Boots... imo. For BN and N I really like Woof Boots except I prefer the Single Lock because I think that distributes the pressure more evenly. But if they get wet, then the velcro will come undone so if you end up buying those make sure you use vet wrap and tape for xc (though really I do this no matter what boots I use :lol: ). For T and the ULs I like Nunn Finer's American Style Boots.

eventer_mi
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:02 PM
I just got a set of Ecogold xc boots (I think the ad was on this BB) and they're FANTASTIC. I watched the YouTube video demo of them taking an axe to the boot, wrapped around a chunk of wood. The boot was undamaged, the insert had a cut in it but otherwise whole, and the chunk of wood was in perfect shape. They also did this demo to a Woof type of boot and the axe cut it clean through, including taking a chunk out of the wood.
I was sold. They're also breathable and flexible, which were big pros for me as I have a sensitive skinned chestnut with high whites, and they are on sale for 20% and free shipping until December, so I got all four boots for $200. Can't beat that!

deltawave
Nov. 6, 2009, 10:50 PM
I like to look at and handle boots before I buy them, make sure the velcro isn't flimsy or awkward and that the boot is neither too stiff nor too wimpy. I just have a particular "feel" that I like. Currently I have Veredus ones and another brand that I found at Rolex--can't remember the name :rolleyes: but they passed the "feel" test. :p

There are almost too many to choose from, and unless you go with dirt-cheap you're probably going to get something decent enough for the average horse going XC.

Allagash's mom
Nov. 6, 2009, 10:57 PM
Nunn Finer American boots are the BEST for cross country.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_American_Style_Boots_p/0028.htm

atleventer
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
i have a few pairs of xc boots---- i have Nunn Finer American style boots (i like them because of their protection but they get bogged down with water, and slip), N.E.W. lightweight competition boots (great boots, keep legs cool, don't slip, good protection), and the Dalmar XC boots (excellent cooling, double protection, long lasting velcro). the Dalmars are my favorite. I'm also in the process of ordering some EcoGold boots too.

pokesaladannie
Nov. 8, 2009, 09:32 PM
Eventer-Mi: Hi. I'm wondering if you notice much difference in weight with the Ecogold boots versus a Woof type boot. I'm interested because they look so tough, I figure all that protection must be fairly heavy! TIA.

Allagash's mom
Nov. 9, 2009, 12:06 AM
i have a few pairs of xc boots---- i have Nunn Finer American style boots (i like them because of their protection but they get bogged down with water, and slip), N.E.W. lightweight competition boots (great boots, keep legs cool, don't slip, good protection), and the Dalmar XC boots (excellent cooling, double protection, long lasting velcro). the Dalmars are my favorite. I'm also in the process of ordering some EcoGold boots too.
If the Nunn Finers are slipping, you aren't tightening them enough.

wildlifer
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:52 AM
For lower levels, I love the Woof boots. I'm on a budget and am NOT spending $200 on horse boots. I just have the simple two strap Woof galloping boots -- the velcro is great, has never budged and stays tight and strong. They give great protection when we've rubbed solid stuff, we have a few tears on the outside of the neoprene but they are perfect on the inside. Lightweight, affordable, and you can pick your colour. We also picked up a pair of the 5-strap Woof single lock boots, funnily enough, we found them in a trash can while working an expensive event--someone had thrown them away because there was a tiny nick in one edge of one boot (rich people are not very clever but yay for me!) -- but I love them, they are bit heavier than the two-strap ones with more protection when you start to move up.