PDA

View Full Version : Are riders drug tested?

faluut42
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
At fei level can riders be drug tested? If they are and they have a prescription does that make what ever they are taking legal?

subk
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, riders can be drug tested. I'm not sure what's legal and not, although I suspect it would be similar to the Olympics as in "performance enhancing" drugs would be banned. If I'm remembering correctly, there are things that would be an Rx that would be a problem.

faluut42
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
has any one here been drug tested? I think this is kind of interesting, i mean what do they do? is it like other sports and they have someone check the stall, you pee in a cup, blah blah. Can they take blood?

Or is it just not done often?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
Heaven Forfend! :eek:

Obviously not at local HTs (thank God), but maybe at the Olympics??

subk
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:40 PM
Everything you could ever want to know:

http://www.fei.org/Athletes_AND_Horses/Medication_Control_AND_Antidoping/Athletes/Documents/FEI%20Anti-Doping%20Rules%20for%20Human%20Athletes%202nd%20ed ition%20effective%201%20January%202009.pdf

ACMEeventing
Nov. 4, 2009, 06:00 PM
I heard they follow you around with a cup attached to the end of a stick and whistle at you until you pee.:lol:

gchildean
Nov. 6, 2009, 02:22 PM
When we were at YRs this summer they were testing the Canadian riders. They had special bathrooms and were assigned chaperones.

raave05
Nov. 6, 2009, 03:15 PM
When we were at YRs this summer they were testing the Canadian riders. They had special bathrooms and were assigned chaperones.

that's too bad. here eric lamaze wins a gold medal and now those nice cannucks are getting singled out.

upper level riders definetly get tested. mark todd had a few run ins with inspectors back in the day which he discussed in his biography.

gchildean
Nov. 6, 2009, 03:19 PM
They said it was for educational purposes. Not sure what that means but I believe that it was a test run for next year when they test everyone.

three_dayer
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
I know they do at the olympics...I was talking to a rider who went to the olympics and she said that she had to pee in a cup, but being very dehydrated she couldn't go, so they gave her a beer(an exellent diuretic)...They mostly do at olympics, but i don't really know about regular fei events.....

gchildean
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have a feeling they are going to start testing at YRs. They had a manditory meeting this year in KY informing all the athletes on the process. when I asked if they were planning on doing it this year I was told that they like to educate before they do any testing which leads me to believe that next year may be the year.

atleventer
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:10 AM
a buddy of mine got tested at YR's this summer. they took him into a private bathroom with a "handler" of sorts.....

ds1035618
Nov. 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
I do think they test at FEI's there is a list of banned drugs

riderboy
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:28 AM
I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure about random testing but I think if there is a crash they need to test horse and rider. I think as part of a comprehensive investigation into safety issues it makes sense. I've watched videos and seen riders go and wondered if that might explain some of the reckless/thoughtless/dangerous riding I've seen.

ArthurGuinness
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
It is not just performance enhancing drugs that they test for in the upper levels. They test for all illegal drugs. Look at Eric Lamaze, he messed up and failed a few drug tests before redeeming himself in Beijing.

LexInVA
Nov. 9, 2009, 10:52 AM
They had special bathrooms and were assigned chaperones.

We can't let the Canucks run around peeing and pooping as they please. As their closest southern neighbors, we have to help them overcome their wild wooded ways when they are out in the civilized world.

Stuperman
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:38 AM
We can't let the Canucks run around peeing and pooping as they please. As their closest southern neighbors, we have to help them overcome their wild wooded ways when they are out in the civilized world.

OMG!!!!! I just spewed food all over my keyboard....

I can't stop laughing.... can you come over and help me clean up?