PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Duett saddles?

juanbadcat
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm in the process of shopping for a low-level event/all purpose saddle. My research has led me to the Duett Rondo which fits wider horses. I have a 15.3h QH that is built like a little bull - (the paint stallion Mighty Awesome is the stud -#1 halter horse in the US, has his own website). My QH has low withers and a wide back. I've heard these duett saddles are very comfy so any input would be greatly appreciated. And, if anyone has other suggestions that would be great too!

LovinRocky
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:07 PM
My friend bought one, I think it was the Rondo. She has a horse that is literally built like a barrel. he reminds me of a Thellwell pony, if you remember those.
Duett sent her 2 saddles to try on him. One was not as completely round as the other. It had a real wide tree, but then the flaps went more straight down and it pinched his sides. I believe that one was a jumping saddle. The other, I believe the Rondo, it was an all purpose saddle. It was made with the wide tree and the flaps were wide and in a round shape, perfect for this horse that can double as a vaulting barrel.
They were easy to work with and she was able to try both before she bought one.
Hope that helped! Good luck

analise
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:14 PM
I own a Duett Companion Trail saddle (in black) for my draft cross. It is definitely comfy and I like it a lot. I bought it used and not from Duett directly. I'd definitely recommend giving them a shot, especially because of the way your describe your horse. :)

Haf N Haf
Nov. 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
I tried two models to fit my Haflinger. The Duett Tango (a trail/dressage saddle) and the Duett Allegro (jump saddle). Neither of them fit my horse. Granted, they were sent to me based off of his tracings.

I would have exchanged them for a different size/model but I found them extremely uncomfortable and very poor quality for the price. I felt the seats ran small and were hard. I could feel something hard (like wood??) when sitting in them. The leather was very cheap and I felt the balance was really off. But granted that was for me and my horse.

I will say the woman at Duett was nice and helpful. I appreciated her letting me try them!

AEM74
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:38 PM
There have been a few threads on Duett saddles that you'll probably find if you do a quick search. In the mean time, I have owned two Duett Rondo 2 saddles in the past for my big boy (draft cross) and was quite happy with them. I moved onto an Albion a few months ago b/c my boy is just a tough fit but up to that point, I was very happy with the Duetts. Good luck!

islgrl
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:54 PM
I have the Presto, my horse is not overly wide, I just needed a saddle I could afford so I have the narrowest width I think. I really like this saddle. I haven't yet put a lot of miles on it, but last weekend I was in it for 1.5 hours for a hunter pace and really liked it.

His Greyness
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:55 PM
Duett was the only saddle supplier who had in stock a dressage saddle (Encore) big enough to fit me and Baby Belgian. Every other supplier would "custom order" a saddle for me at three times the price at least. No problems with my Encore so far.

leheath
Nov. 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
I had a Duett Largo dressage saddle for my very wide filly. I loved it - found it very comfortable and great quality for the price. I thought the construction was good and it would have lasted well. Unfortunately, my young filly outgrew it and she was changing shape so quickly I decided to go with a treeless. However, if I ever went back to treed on a wide horse, I would definitely go with a Duett. I got mine from Trumbull Mountain and they were very easy to work with.

Synrgystyk
Nov. 7, 2009, 10:28 AM
Duetts are very nice saddles for the price. And I think they're the only brand in their price range that's built on a hoop tree to accommodate the *really* wide-backed horse.

I board at a private facility and most of the BO's horses are of the table-back, low- or no-wither variety (baroque breed). She has several Duetts and I've ridden in all of them on different horses. In fact, I think I've ridden in just about every type of saddle Duett offers, except the Tango and Rondo. I've been very pleased with the quality, comfort, and construction of the saddles and they're the only brand in the price range that really does fit the truly wide horse.

I don't know where you are in VA, but my BO sells Duetts and -- right now ('cause she hasn't sent them back yet :sigh:) -- has a ton of demo saddles. She's near the Charles Town Racetrack in WV so if you're reasonably close, give her a try. She sometimes posts on this board (usually Dressage I think) as Touchstone Acres. NOTE: I'm just providing the info -- I don't sell the saddles.

As a side note, you can order a "semi-custom" Duett. My BO ordered a 39 cm Allegro jumping saddle in black, with long billets, specified the types of seat and flap leathers, and had the flap set 2" forward. She also ordered a 39 cm dressage saddle built on the Allegro tree with a slightly shorter and more forward dressage flap. Duett was able to accommodate both requests.

Anyway, if you're looking for something to fit a really wide horse, Duetts are a nice choice.

Lorree

EventingJ
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:37 AM
I tried the companion foxhunter, the allegro, and the presto - it came down to the foxhunter or the presto, the allegro didn't fit me well at all, and ended up purchasing the presto. I really liked it, its a slightly deeper seat then the allegro is, put my leg into a nice position, definatly good quality for the price. I liked I could do flat work in it, but it was still a decent saddle for over fences too.

acking01
Nov. 9, 2009, 02:11 PM
I just bought a Duett Allegro for my mare about 3 months ago. I finally have my happy horse back!!! I feel very stupid for not trying Duett sooner and going through saddle fitting hell for two years. I am in love with the saddle and think the quality and construction is great. Most saddles put your legs too far forward, but the Allegro lets your leg fall right at the girth line. This is a must have when you're already battling a big belly and a forward girth groove.

Nancy is very nice and helpful and even talked to me for 30 minutes at 8am on a Saturday!! Most people would not be so accommodating.

Sudi's Girl
Nov. 9, 2009, 02:16 PM
I also use the Duett Encore dressage saddle on my roly poly Arabians. Both of my guys love it, and I find it very comfy as well. I thought the leather was amazing for the price I paid for it!
Try them out! I bet you will like it!