PDA

View Full Version : Roll call for Rubicon--kinda late this year! ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:58 PM
So, who all will be there?

I am taking a greenie to his *very* *first* HT, in OBN. It should be very exciting for him, but he is generally a good boy, and I expect him to do well (though he is *really* green x-country, and will likely peek at some stuff...and be all :eek: at the water.)

We are supposed to have GREAT weather (really lucked out in that dept. for November! Sheryl and Eric must have bribed the Weather Gods ;)), especially on Sunday--which is when I ride--I also got great times (gotta love the LLs), with dressage at 12:05 and stadium around 2:30. One of my students will be doing her first HT in over 3 years, with her 21 year old mare. They both foaled out "fillies" during their hiatus from eventing. She will be in BNR, and has the *exact* same dressage time that I do, so unless they are running late or early in one of the rings, I won't get to see her test (but will attempt to tweak her a little in warmup from the back of my horse ;)

Who among the COTHers will be competing, volunteering, or spectating?

Catalina
Nov. 6, 2009, 01:13 PM
Connor and I are going Training (gearing up for next year :)).

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'll be there with GRC.

yellowbritches
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:22 PM
I am actually taking a break right now from braiding two of our novice horses for tomorrow. Fritt just put her handsome boy away for the night. We'll have three tomorrow and two (Vernon is one of them) on Sunday. Courses are great, footing is lovely, forecast is fabulous. Looking forward to it!

BlueRidgeEventer
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'll be there with a greenie in OBN, too! I've never been to Rubicon and am pretty excited. Good luck to everyone!

hopashore1
Nov. 6, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'll be there! Running Owen training again, never been to Rubicon--very excited, heard good things :)

Tasker
Nov. 8, 2009, 08:04 AM
I am very late posting to this thread but have to say what a fantastic facility and wonderful people are at Rubicon. The footing was perfect (what a change after every muddy weekend I've gotten to run in since August) and it was just a super experience!! :) The venue is awesome and I can't wait to go back next year!

GotSpots
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:42 AM
As always, Sheryl and Eric run a fantastic show. Couldn't have had better weather, and courses were galloping and beautifully built. Having seen every Training and BN SJ round, I was so pleased to see not just many fancy horses, but even more solid citizens well-matched to their riders. It was nice to see so many horse-rider combinations who looked like appropriate pairs well-prepared for the competition and the level they were at, and I saw alot of thoughtful riding and good basics.

Looked like a number of COTHers did a nice job - saw quite a few of our folks with nice rounds, including Dr. Dolittle and yellowbritches, as well as Muggle with Boyd in the irons looking very fancy.

I wish I knew who the trainer is who turns out the group of kids who wear burgundy helmets with pale blue stripes - they are always so tight in the tack and such good little riders. Really a pleasure to see them in the ring. And the little tiny super fuzzy pinto pony in the JBN division I was DYING to take home with me - couldn't have been any cuter and the kid looked like she was having a great time.

All in all, nice way to finish off the season!

asterix
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yesterday was pretty much a perfect eventing day, don't you think? :D

And Lindsay, you guys took GREAT shots! I checked mine out in the truck and bought some on the spot, both XC and SJ really, really well-timed, well framed (and, fortuitously on XC, all our good fences and none of our bad ones :winkgrin:)

The husband horse was a total super star at his first Training. He has caught a bad case of dressage-itis and does not want to play in warmup OR in the ring, despite doing lovely work at home. Hmm, perhaps dressage schooling shows are in our future...

but I know he can do a nice test at that level, just not yesterday. It's the jumping I was worried about.

He was great. I gave a stunning demonstration of how to ride like an overwhelmed amateur over the first half of SJ and he carried on without me -- amazing for a horse who had to be stuffed over every single colored-pole fence even this spring.

Rolled right back over that big scary white triple bar like he does it every day! His, er, second triple bar ever. Good boy!

On XC I think it showed that I have not been out at T for 18 months. He occasionally needed a bit more help from me than I gave him, especially at the downhill 2 stride (so, leaning and kicking is NOT the right way to ride out of that, in case you were wondering; pony had to really scramble!), and I was so grumpy about that that I flew around the corner to the water all unbalanced and did not really do anything useful at all. He got sort of wavery and dodged out. Total brain fart on my part; he usually loves water. BUT, SUCH a champ at the coffin (his first full!), big brush box, cat's eye, etc etc.

We will come out at T in the spring and I am very, very proud of him. For being ridden by an idiot with no experience with green ponies, he's turned out quite well. :)

Catalina
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:38 AM
What amazing weather and just an all around great day. The show ran so smoothly and everyone was so nice. I saw Fritt at the stadium gate and Dr Dolittle in passing. I also got to briefly meet yellowbritches.

I was really worried about stadium because that is mine and Connor's weak area, but I thought the course rode really well and the footing was great. XC was awesome :D. I realized right as I was going into the start box that I had forgotten my watch. I have only done one other Training before, but I had a decent idea of what the pace should be and I was quite pleased that we were only 8 seconds over optimum. Connor just rocked around and, aside from a stutter step :eek: before the ditch in the coffin, he jumped everything great. I was definitely a perfect end to the year and I am so glad that the weather was so ideal.

BlueRidgeEventer
Nov. 9, 2009, 12:40 PM
I love Rubicon Farm! I had a great time at the horse trials yesterday. What a wonderful venue! I ran my greenie in OBN and came away with a 2nd out of 23 - wow, unexpected! I also had a few students running training and another running beginner novice. Each had great experiences and loved the courses. I am definitely adding this venue to my 2010 calendar and I can't wait to personally run over the bigger courses. A huge thanks to the organizers and volunteers!

yellowbritches
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
I had a GREAT weekend! :yes:

Vernon and I managed to pull out all the stops and put in very good efforts in all three phases. Our dressage is still a work in progress, but I think we made the right decision a few weeks ago in riding Vernon the way he NEEDS to be ridden right now (a little longer, a little lower) instead of the way the judges want to see him go (a little more up and put together). I just realized that while our score was not fantastic and an issue I'm having didn't help yesterday, he did not get any "poll too low" comments AND he got a 7 on his gaits.

SJ was great...I may have made a fool of myself when I realized we jumped clean. :lol: I was thrilled, though because it has been HARD to figure out how to ride this horse appropriately (never been lucky enough to have a horse that is both bold AND scopey). This time my brain didn't hurt at the end of it and I KNOW what I did to get the good round. I also felt like it could have been another level up and it would have been good. :yes:

And xc was just freaking awesome. Without boring everyone with all the sill details, it was great. My horse KNOWS what it is all about and it is so much fun to come around a corner, make the approach, feel him size up the question and go "Yep. We got this." We blazed around and it was just great. Of course, I missed a ribbon by a placing and a 6th by 3.2 time penalties (apparently I took a couple too many tugs somewhere...darn it :lol:).

To top it all off, my mom came down this weekend to watch and she hasn't seen me go (she's embarrassed to hell by this) since 2004!!!!! She was either my lucky charm or I pulled it all together at just the right moment!

As always, Rubicon was fantastic. My only very small, tiny, miniscule complaint is how little time I had between dressage and sj (and I understand why they do it, so I'm not complaining really at all). Otherwise it was fabulous as usual with great courses, great footing, great weather, great people, great horses. Great way to end the year. :yes:

Lisamarie8
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:30 PM
Jen! I thought I saw Trey! I hate that I missed you. Congrats on such a great go! We'll have to catch up next spring.

Woods and I made it to Rubicon as the final stage of our "if we do it enough in a short enough period of time maybe you'll settle your ass down" training program. Otherwise known as Competitionapalooza. :p

He was great! It's been a long year, but finally all three came together and we finished second on our dressage score of 35. A year ago we earned (and I do mean earned) a 52 in the BN division of VHT. I swear, Liza has done wonders with us both, we wouldn't be where we are without her.

He was green, but workmanlike all weekend, and while there was sticky fence or two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm1S5HLOqUs), I was super pleased with our stadium and we worked it out.

It was my first time at Rubicon and understand why people love it so much. What a wonderful event!

So at the end of the year I'm beyond smitten with my tiny little red freak and feel lucky that Fairweather's vision for him included me. What a great way to end the season (Spring would have been a long wait for redemption, I'm sure I would have stroked out).

eventmom
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.photoreflect.com/PR3/thumbpage.aspx?e=5599879

BlueRidgeEventer
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:03 AM
Lisa - Shoot! Sorry that we missed you!

I did a four week show extravaganza with Boston at Beginner Novice this fall (2 schooling HTs and 2 recognized) so that he could figure out the game. It seems to have worked out and I can happily say that after some well deserved time off for both of us (Trey says "Thank God"), Novice here we come. Sounds similar to your plan with Woody.

Hopefully we'll catch up at the next one.