PDA

View Full Version : No Cross Country Schooling at Tamarack???

Fast First
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:58 PM
I was really disappointed when I called to schedule a time to take some students to Tamarack for a Cross Country school this weekend and the message said the course is closed for schooling!

It was such a great place to practice, does anyone know what is going on???

Any suggestions on another place to school in NC?

Thanks in advance!

ThirdCharm
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
Liability insurance rules, I believe.

Our sue-happy society at work! Yay America!

Jennifer

ThirdCharm
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Other suggestions... Falcon Park in Clayton, Hillcrest in Mocksville (great for greenies), is St. George's Quarters in Sanford still open? I know it got sold ages ago but thought I heard the new owners were going to keep the xc course.... the Ark in Monroe....

Jennifer

ThirdCharm
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:04 PM
CHP has a schooling day November 28th, too....

Fast First
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks! Do you have Falcon Parks number??? We were trying to get ready for CHP on the 20th! St Georges is not open, the property was forclosed on!!

Thanks so much!

roki143
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
If you shoot Amanda an email at millereventing(at)hotmail.com, she'll get you hooked right up!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:13 PM
we have a nice course here in Zebulon at Five County Stables. everyone gave it RAVE REVIEWS at the HT this past weekend. It is lower level maiden and beginner novice fences, Falcon Park is mostly more upper level fences so depends on the level you want. Greg really wants people to come and school, lovely faclity AND if you go before next week my stadium course is still up from the HT and can be schooled! email me for his contact info or go to www.fivecountystables.com/ for his contact info, some of the fences are pictured here: www.shawneeacres.net/crosscountry.htm and also most of the fences are still decorated from the HT last weekend. You can look at photos from the event here:

www.5countiesht1009.photoherald.com/index.php/view_event.php

Nov. 4, 2009, 01:46 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the course is available as part of a lesson, for example, a lesson with Denny out on the cross country course, which would give your students an incredible experience. I believe when Denny is in VT Christan is based out of his farm. I'd call either one directly to confirm.

Fast First
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
Obviously, I want to have my students ride with me as I am their coach. We will have to find somewhere else to school. It was just nice that Tamarack could be schooled when we wanted. It is a shame.

Carrie! Thanks for the offer and I want to take some beginner students/green horses to the course there! Can we come during the week?? I need to find somewhere with more upper level type stuff for my Novice/Training students as well as my new One Star Horse!! I can't wait to come to your course!

Sorry I did not make it to the last HT, I had to help a friend of mine move to her new farm. She has no family and lost her husband in Iraq so it has been hard for her in many ways.

When is the next one going to be? I hope everyone can supports Carries efforts and support these shows. I know she has worked hard on the course and HT. We NEED more schooling shows!!

Thanks for the input!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks Heidi! Next HT will be spring of 2010, looking at possibly April 18th for a date but not decided yet. We will be expanding the BN course for that HT, more fences, longer course and more of a galloping course (our first was a bit short and somewhat "turning" due to short time frame to get course done). We do have plans for a Novice course maybe in a year or so. Will also have another fall HT next fall. I am sure Greg would not mind you coming during the week. We are only about 20 minutes from Falcon Park so you could take your upper level horse there and come over to Five county as well!

Fast First
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
That would be great! Can we come on Sunday??

Let me know if you need any help with the Novice course!

Minuet
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have a few pics of Falcon Park here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/minuet/sets/72157622734143280/). Nice course for all levels. (I'm maiden myself). The water obstacle and low banks, logs, etc. Great area for all levels. Lots of open space to canter and gallop. And it is just beautiful there. Also, Amanda is wonderful and very helpful.

Nov. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry Fast First, I thought you were still working with Denny.

Coppers mom
Nov. 6, 2009, 01:28 PM
Mari Secrist also has a really nice course you can school, and it's just a stone's throw from Denny's. She's got a fabulous water complex, and just added a ton of stuff. I can't find her number now, but let me know and I'll dig a bit more if you're interested.

eventrider
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mari Secrist allows schooling if the instructor carries full liability insurance and has her farm added as an additional insured. Give her a call and she will give you the information. And yes, the courses being closed has to do with insurance and the risk of being sued, not by the riders but the insurance companies. People do not have a say in whether their company sues or not.

Christan

oldhorsegirl
Nov. 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
I believe Denny allows the same 'schooling with your own trainer' if that trainer names Tamarack farm as 'additional insured' on their liability policy. It's really very simple to add a facility as 'additional insured'--it just takes a phone call to most insurance companies.

denny
Nov. 8, 2009, 05:49 PM
Our insurance premium for umbrella coverage would have been substantially more than any income from schooling could have brought in.

Additionally, from the horror stories I`ve heard from people who have actually had litigation brought against them, you "don`t want to go there."

Sorry to say, but the exposure is simply too great to warrant the risk.

wildlifer
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:58 AM
I don't know where you are, but FenRidge Farm in Mebane has a great course to school, every conceivable obstacle, water, banks, ditches, up to the high end of Novice with awesome footing and Patricia (owner) is just nice as can be.

For baby newbies, 5 County has very nicely built intro jumps. No banks/water/ditches at current time although they have a ditch under construction.

The Ark in Monroe has lots of variety too as well as great exposure to zebras, pygmy hippos, donkeys and all kinds of crazy animals!

TTC in Mocksville has a lot of bigger stuff, I believe they offer schooling, although I have not ridden there.