View Full Version : Loop reins/reins with holds

Nov. 4, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey guys im looking for suggestions on loop reins or anything of that nature. I am having alot of grip issues(currently being investigated) which makes holdling regular reins hard and sometimes quite painful. Some days I have more grip than others(and some days I will cry because its soo frustrating when I cant grip something I could easily do before)

I tried the off course awhile ago without much luck.

Feel free to post links and share stories!


Nov. 4, 2009, 01:27 PM
Precsion reins

They are great even for the non disabled to address grip (too much or too little) issues.

If you do a search on "precision reins" you will find several previous discussions.

Nov. 4, 2009, 01:54 PM

Looped or sliding clip-on attachments.

From EC website;

Compensatory Aids

What are compensatory aids?

Usually these aids manage reins or help a rider maintain his or her seat, though there is a broad range in function depending on the rider’s ability. This specialized equipment, sometimes known as adaptive tack, can be the difference for a rider with a disability in levelling the competitive playing field. While compensatory aids are varied and can be unique to a Para-rider, they should never provide an advantage to the athlete.

How does an aid get approved nationally?

Aids will be approved during the classification process (http://www.equinecanada.ca/para-equestrian/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=25&Itemid=468&lang=en-GB), after which a rider will receive a classification card stating their profile, grade and approved adaptive equipment. Using this card, a rider with a disability can compete in dressage competitions with their adaptive equipment.

How does an aid get approved internationally?

Para-riders can compete in able-bodied FEI dressage competitions using FEI-approved compensatory aids. The aids should correlate to the rider’s degree of disability, as defined by the International Paralympic Equestrian Committee (IPEC).

Applications for an FEI-approved compensatory aid must be made by Equine Canada on behalf of the rider. They need to be accompanied by an FEI (IPEC) classification card, and a letter from Equine Canada stating that the rider can compete in able-bodied competitions at a national level. Applications must reach the FEI before December 31st of the year before the dressage competition.

At this time, only dressage and driving have international rules and guidelines for use of adaptive equipment. Jumping is also beginning to emerge as an international discipline in a few European countries at this time. For the developing disciplines, as long as they are safe and enhance the person’s ability to perform, innovative use of adaptive equipment is encouraged.

Zu Zu
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
I saw William Shatner --Star Trek - use a pair of "hand hold" reins at Louisville - World Championship Horse Show - yep on the green shavings !Google Fennells -located at the Red Mile Track - Lexington Ky. -- they will sew hand loops on your reins or driving lines.

Nov. 4, 2009, 03:10 PM
I use plain rein with holes punched at equal intervals and conway buckles with the leather loop. This makes for easy adjustment.

Nov. 4, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone I will look into all your suggestion!

Piaffing- do you know if I can show dressage in these reins or will I need permission from EC? im planning to do first level next year

Nov. 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
i second janets link on the reins. I know a disabled rider that uses them at the international level. I think you need permission but they are used in dressage comp.

Nov. 4, 2009, 04:06 PM
Libertyville has a type that are fabulous called "Coach Reins." saddleshop.com

Check out dressage extensions as well they had loops on a clip that was moveable and appeared to work on ANY reins in a catalogue I had from last year or year before--if not still there, worth a phone call, they are lovely and mayhaps could tell you the provider/mfg?

Nov. 4, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone I will look into all your suggestion!

Piaffing- do you know if I can show dressage in these reins or will I need permission from EC? im planning to do first level next year'

It looks like you have to be classified as a Para rider to use the loopy reins.

From the EC dressage rule book;

• All bridles must be correctly fitted and be black or brown in colour.
• Reins must be black or brown in colour.
• Type of reins is optional but reins with hand loops, elastic or
rubber inserts are prohibited. Exception: For Para-Equestrian rein
rules see Chapter 14.
• Bitless bridles are not permitted.
• Padding is allowed on bridles.
• Chain browbands are not permitted unless the chain is a
decoration stuck to a leather browband.
• The browband may not have anything hanging from it. Exception:
A small name tag is permitted.


Nov. 4, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks equibrit! I emailed EC to get more info on being classified as the email adress on the paraequestrain part of the site doesnt work.

I'll reasearch my rein options and let you guys know which I will choose(I like to really know about products before buying:)

Nov. 4, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hand held loops that slide on to reins are used in driving in particular harness raceing. But they are very help ful for driving and would work riding also. They slide on and clip and are adjustable some buckle. www.camptownharness.com has the slide on ones (they aren't on the web site I just looked but she has them tell her Diane sent you) Others you can find in harness raceing but he loops might be to large.

Another neat thing I have seen is loops sewn into the reins thing of each rein as being a ladder rein. but the cross rung is short..

I had a custom made set of driving reins where I had the rein stops put where I wanted them. Many of the carriage harness supplieers can get riding reins made also in whatever type of configuration you want.

Diane Kastama

Nov. 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
In driving there are things they call rein buttons. In the old days they were made of wood but now they can be plastic or what ever. I believe they are threaded and pass through a hole in the reins and are screwed together to give a grip on the reins.I do not know where to buy them but check with any harness shop where driving folks buy and sell.
The Amish might know where to get them.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Kind regards, sadlmkr

Nov. 7, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks equibrit! I emailed EC to get more info on being classified as the email adress on the paraequestrain part of the site doesnt work.

I'll reasearch my rein options and let you guys know which I will choose(I like to really know about products before buying:)

To become nationally classified you should contact CanTRA to be classified.

Also if you want to be Internationally classified you could have it done at the show at Windreach next May. There ian't much info yet on the website, but there should be some soon.

Nov. 7, 2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know how far you are from me, but if you ever want to check out my reins you are more than welcome to come to where I board at.

Nov. 8, 2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone!

Piaffing I dont know how far you are either but im in ottawa, if your close that would be cool, I could see your reins and maybe take a lesson from you!:D I always enjoy getting different perspectives from different coaches:)

I have the dr's forms and am dropping them off this week to be filled out. So the carding process has started!

Nov. 8, 2009, 07:58 PM
Ah poop. I'm just north of Toronto.

Nov. 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well if your ever in ottawa pm me piaffing! Do you go to the Dessage fest(we only have like one big show per disipline as the city owns the biggest facility(and charge a arm and a leg.. thats how we lost the kubota show...)

I've decided on rubber reins and those loops that go on them for schooling(but first have to sell excess tack...) and get precision reins when I show

Nov. 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
I just got a new Dover catalogue and there are a set in there!!

They are $$$ but... they're in there!

Nov. 11, 2009, 08:12 AM
here is another alternitive to the link above for hand holds. sorry didnt realize it was so huge when i copied it.
http://bigdweb.reachlocal.com/coupon/?scid=1072978&cid=438611&tc=09111105095372508&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=bigdweb1.reachlocal.net&se_refer=http%253A%252F%252Fsearch.yahoo.com%252Fs earch%253Fei%253Dutf-8%2526fr%253Dslv8-tyc7%2526p%253Dbig%252520d%252527s%2526type%253D

I automatically thought hand holds when i read your question. Ws glad to see someone else had the same thought.