PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff--Eventing XC Shirt-What do you want?

NMK
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
From the other thread about the armband--if you could design a XC shirt, what would you like it to have?

So far:

Long sleeve version (lightweight)
Short Sleeve (lightweight)
Long Sleeve (heavier weight)
Collar for Stadium Wear acceptibility in case of pulled coats
Built in attachment for Arm Band
Access to watch through sleeve
Athletic material (coolmax type)
Available in solid color with stripe (add your input here--would you want more design options??)

Thanks!
Nancy

smokescreen
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
I don't really want or need to see my watch through my shirt. If I wear long sleeves I put my watch over my sleeve. I would be happy to have solid with a stripe or maybe some custom embroidery on the top of the sleeve. I LOVE the idea of a built in pocket for my medical info. Now, can you do it and make it affordable? I find it hard to think that I would but a shirt for more than $50, but I am a real cheapskate.

luise
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm in Area I, so it's pretty warm for all the events I do. I would want:

Collar (I like to pull it up through the vest--think it looks better that way
Not too long so I can tuck it into my breeches without any major bulk
short sleeve version, but almost down to elbows so armband can fit over it
I also like 3/4 sleeve shirts for the fall/cooler events. Don't like long sleeve.
Don't really want/need something to attach the armband to.

scubed
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:34 AM
Would love some options that might match helmet covers or other such as color blocks, chevrons on the sleeve, stars, etc. You might look here for some ideas:
http://www.badger-rugby.com/rugby-shirts.asp
I know you wouldn't be able to do everything, but maybe the shirts come several designs and you could just add the eventing specific features

deltawave
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:00 AM
Pocket for armband

3/4 sleeve option

Don't care about color on the 'body' of the shirt because the vest covers it up, but something fun on the sleeves would be good

No zippers or buttons to annoy me

Technical fabrics for hot and cold weather

LAZ
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:02 AM
Being the fashion maven that I am, I just want something that doesn't rub under a vest, isn't so long that I have to sit on it and most importantly, covers my fish belly pale belly. :D

I usually wear one of my long sleeved t-shirts if it is cold, the actually collared shirt I have for a x/c shirt is too stiff.

NMK
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:10 AM
What about a short zipper for the neck collar? Or would a pull over be OK?
thanks everyone...love the 3/4 sleeve, love it!

Nancy

luise
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'd rather the pull over with an open collar (like polo shirt collar without the buttons)

cinnabar
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:23 AM
Short sleeve must be long enough that the armband does not touch skin.

A quarter zip neck might be nice!

scubed
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'd rather the pull over with an open collar (like polo shirt collar without the buttons)

+1
http://www.psyche.co.uk/menswear-c1/polo-shirts-c161/collar-jersey-stripe-p508109

asterix
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:39 AM
oh, yeah, my "midweight" one is a 3/4 sleeve and I love it too!!! My short sleeve one is actually a bit short and sometimes the nasty armband thing ends up on my bare arm, boo.

deltawave
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, like a polo without buttons for me--zippers always stick me under my vest.

JeanieClarke2141
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:49 PM
I don't like polo shirt collars - they look funny and get smushed in the vest. Mock T Neck? 1/4 Zip neck? Something I have not thought of?

Little Valkyrie
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
I don't like polo shirt collars - they look funny and get smushed in the vest. Mock T Neck? 1/4 Zip neck? Something I have not thought of?

Ditto. I would love the idea of a 3/4 sleeve, 1/4 zip (or mock turtleneck) shirt. I don't require fun colors (I go in black, except for helmet cover) but I think it would look cool to have some :)

atleventer
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:29 PM
i think a 3/4 sleeve would be ideal. i would like it to be "wicking" material, so as to not hold sweat. also, ideally it would be cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. conservative colors are a must.

sisu27
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
Slightly OT but don't any of you wear your armband on the top of your boot? Or is that not allowed in the US?

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 4, 2009, 04:50 PM
Slightly OT but don't any of you wear your armband on the top of your boot? Or is that not allowed in the US?

Not allowed in US and hopefully not to be allowed in Canada either. The paramedics are pushing very hard for a rule change. In fact, Woody was requesting at all events he worked this summer that riders moved their arm band to their arm. I asked every single rider when I was xc stewart at Grandview in may to switch to armband as per paramedic request.

sisu27
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:05 PM
Not allowed in US and hopefully not to be allowed in Canada either. The paramedics are pushing very hard for a rule change. In fact, Woody was requesting at all events he worked this summer that riders moved their arm band to their arm. I asked every single rider when I was xc stewart at Grandview in may to switch to armband as per paramedic request.

Huh, I was lame this season. So it's Woody's fault! I like it on the boot.

My Rodney Powell came with those stupid shoulder pads and they had a holder.....never wear them. I had the idea though that maybe if it was part of your vest it would be cool. Something like a Road ID (http://www.roadid.com/Common/products.aspx) type of thing.

Or to stay on topic....somehow part of your shirt.

Festivity
Nov. 4, 2009, 07:02 PM
What about instead of a full holder for the medical card, just a loop on the underside of the sleeve to run the armband through if you want? That way the dam armband doesn't slide down your arm. If it isn't too bulky it shouldn't bug those that don't use it.

NMK
Nov. 6, 2009, 01:15 PM
I hate those velcro armband straps and have a way to get rid of them entirely, but still use the same pocket (it is somewhat water resistant).

If you could have a 3/4 sleeve or a short sleeve, would you have both or which one?

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Nancy

luise
Nov. 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
I would want both short and 3/4 sleeve.

Brown Horse
Nov. 6, 2009, 05:02 PM
I hate those velcro armband straps and have a way to get rid of them entirely, but still use the same pocket (it is somewhat water resistant).

If you could have a 3/4 sleeve or a short sleeve, would you have both or which one?

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Nancy

I would want a couple of options. In the summer here, I would want to wear short sleeves or those sleeves that fit tighter and come just down to your elbow. Made out of some kind of Coolmax or Underarmour-like fabric bc they really do keep you comfortable and dry. It's so damn hot and humid down here, cotton just gets too disgusting.
In the fall and winter, 3/4 sleeves (b/c it seems to be popular; I don't personally like 3/4) AND a long sleeve version. Both a high tech fabric along the lines of Underarmour cold gear. Doesn't have to be compression though.

TxEventer81
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:48 PM
I am loving the idea of a 3/4 sleeve for cooler weather and then short for warm. Though imo I would never buy a shirt for show (or training for that matter) that didn't have a collar with some sort of button... like a polo shirt. I also really like sport fabric for wicking sweat away. I like the material Romfh uses for their shirts... I just don't like the zipper.

ezmissg
Nov. 6, 2009, 10:57 PM
Talk about a thread that gets the ideas flowing! Fun, fun!

My favorite shirt has a white shirt collar (like on an oxford cloth shirt) sewn on. I think it's a "smart & tidy" look.

Definitely short and long sleeve...I actually prefer the 3/4 sleeve idea, but if you put a stretchy tightly ribbed cuff on a long sleeve, people could push them up a bit if they want.

From a production standpoint, I was considering ways to reduce the labor of customization. So, you could try 3 "base" colors -- white for warm weather, navy or black would be fine under the vast majority of vests.

To hold the medical info, you could put a mesh zippered "pocket" that would hold the card in the plastic sleeve currently used. Think like the kind that is sewn on the outside of backpacks or makeup bags. That mesh and zipper could be the same as the base color of the shirt, and it would still be machine washable. It could be sewn on top of the shirt fabric. The plastic sleeve currently used would still keep the info waterproof.

Then, customized colors could be used on the other sleeve...like diamonds or stripes, whatever. And, they could be sewn on top of the base-colored shirt.

So, you would have a total of 6 completely constructed shirts to start, and the only "OEM" features to add would be to the sleeves -- the mesh zipper panel (pocket) on one sleeve and color designs on the other.

I want one! :)

Black Points
Nov. 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, great idea Nancy!

I agree with ezmissg:
one or 2 basic colors - white for sure and probably black
short and long sleeve
a colored strip on one *or both* sleeves - maybe a vertical stripe or 1, 2, or 3 stripes around the sleeve
For the medical card, I'd suggest a velcro fastener rather than a zipper but mess pocket is good.
Could also take your medical card to a copy max and have it laminated so it would really be waterproof...could probably do it so that it could be folder after lamination
Definitely a mock collar or like the zip collars on the kerrits shirts.

I'd want both a long and a short sleeve one.

So if any manufacturers are out there, go for it!

Mary in western NY
http://www.BPEquine.com

Blugal
Nov. 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
Although ezmissg's idea of the mesh pockets sound good, I doubt it would be allowed. Impossible to check armbands by tack-checkers, and one extra step for paramedics in case of emergency.

I personally like the 3/4 sleeve with collar. But the collar can't be too stiff - my vest sits right around my neck and anything bulky or stiff hits me around the Adam's apple area which I hate.

horsecents
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:12 AM
I competed this summer wearing my FITS tech shirt. Like the zip front, stand up collar, comfortable fabric. Was able to put my stock tie over it for dressage and vest for XC. Too colorful for Stadium if they wave the jackets but would wear it there if I could. Love the 3/4 sleeve idea. As for the medical armband, like the idea of a mesh pocket to carry it in. My brother has a hunting vest that holds his permit on the back of his vest. Could something like this work for us?

kcrubin
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:31 AM
I would definitely go with the 3/4 length sleeve

LR1976
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ditto. I would love the idea of a 3/4 sleeve, 1/4 zip (or mock turtleneck) shirt. I don't require fun colors (I go in black, except for helmet cover) but I think it would look cool to have some :)

Another vote for the 3/4 sleeve, 1/4 zip. I like the idea of something on the sleeves. Stripes???

LR1976
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:47 AM
And a fitted, stretchy material like the under armour stuff.

Rescue_Rider9
Nov. 7, 2009, 09:23 AM
I wear under armour. I love it. I wear the short sleve and I think it fits perfect. Very cool and comes in plenty of colors that anyone can find something to match usually. It has a collar.. sort of, but I like that type of collar rather than a real collar for going XC. I belive I paid $25 for mine (only because it was a little girls size!) and if you can make a shirt like that for just a little less, I would be willing to buy it! That way i could embroider the collar. I cant not because it has the UA logo on it!

ezmissg
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:00 AM
I think I'm having too much fun thinking about this! HA!

The mesh for the medical info pocket could be very loose weave (almost like fishnet?) so that it would be easily viewable for the "checkers". I wonder if there is a "translucent" type mesh?

When I was considering the pocket for containing the medical info, I started with velcro for closure, but not sure how it would hold up in multiple washings? It would certainly make for the easiest/quickest access to the info though. Or maybe just a big snap?

Back to the collar -- I agree with whoever posted earlier about zippers rubbing under the vest, etc. Could it maybe have a "banded" collar and henley-type placket (with snaps?)? Then, you could still put a stock tie over it comfortably for dressage, etc?

Obviously, I also put in my vote for wick fabric ... like Romph uses, etc.

Who is going to take all these ideas and run with them? :)

Dressage.For.Life.
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:39 PM
Don't do much eventing but...the ability to chose what you want- short, 3/4, or long sleeves. 1/4 zip, buttons, etc. The option to have a loop for your medical armband if you're an eventer, and option for a loop for stock tie. Maybe a few choices in terms of fabric- light, mid, heavy (SPF protection is nice). I can't stand "boxy" shirts, and I find it heard to find shirts that are long enough (longer in back than front is nice too). Think cycling jersey except for the pockets in the back :D The gripy stuff at the bottom of the shirt / end of sleeves is nice to keep things in place... :yes:

asterix
Nov. 7, 2009, 11:56 PM
OK, NMK, you need to do this; AND you can make it part of the awards package at horse trials pretty easily. I suggest you talk to Margaret Rizzo, who posts here as..mythical84? i think...mythical in any case...she could get you hooked up with event organizers who could help!

scubed
Nov. 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
An approved and completed medical card is required any time while
jumping. It must be enclosed in a transparent, waterproof carrier. It must be securely
attached to the competitor’s upper arm on the outside of the competitor’s clothing.

Just remember that you probably still need the plastic sleeve or a plastic baggie or something, can't just put it in a mesh pocket on the sleeve and still be in line with the "transparent, waterproof carrier" part of the rule

NMK
Nov. 9, 2009, 08:45 AM
OK, so I've been playing around with some prototypes. One thing I tried was two buttons for the armband. The fit through the opening where the stupid strap goes. It's a pretty simple fix. I am concerned about the stewards being able to ID the card without taking it out. Also it would be nice to be able to use the shirt in stadium if they pull coats so some sort of collar is appropriate. I think a zipper could be optional.

Thanks for all the help.

Nancy

Lone
Nov. 9, 2009, 03:31 PM
I always wear a 3/4 length polo when I compete- the kind that comes down to about the elbow, any longer drives me crazy. I would probably just want one that length, not in short sleeve. I don't like having zippers, I'd rather have a polo style color.

I like the idea of just having a loop on the inside of the sleeve where you could run the armband strap through to keep it in place.

missamandarose
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
RE the attaching medical card to the shirt...

Why not sew on a stap, similar to the ones that the Kerrits and similar type shirts have for stock ties? That strap could go through the holes in the plastic holder, replacing the elastic band, and snap to a tab on the opposite side of the holder.

I have two of the Kerrits Ventilator shirts, as well as a Riding Sport one that is similar (I think called Competition), and I really like them both, style and fabric wise. I like the zip collar, but wonder if snaps could replace that too, for those who find a zipper or buttons irritating to the skin. The snaps would be much flatter.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
Everyone NEEDS to try the Swing Performance Shirt. I got my first one in black and have never, ever felt hot in it. Crazy sweat wicking abilities, has these super nice vents under the arms, is SPF50 and has so many other things. I love this shirt so much I got it in every color. I wear it everywhere too, paired with jeans you can barely tell its a riding shirt(because its actually a golf shirt). The cool thing is the company is coming out with a whole line of equestrian products! If anyone wants the contact info for the rep, let me know!

Lori T
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
www.equiinstyle.com

My friend formed a partnership with Swing and formed her own equestrian division. These shirts are awesome! They truely are lightweight..I never thought I would wear long sleeved in the summer! I really like how the mesh on the sleeve is the same color as the shirt. The website is still under construction and there is more to offer than currently shown. For my dressage shirt, they added a loop in the back of the neck for the stock tie. She also has polo's.

horsecents
May. 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
NMK - I know you wore your prototype XC shirt over the weekend. From what I could see it looked nice. Do you have any pictures without your XC vest over it?

NMK
May. 10, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'll see...so far the first shirt is pretty cool. I'll try and see if I can get some photos.

N

cranky
May. 10, 2010, 02:52 PM
The only complaint that I have about tech fabric shirts in general are that they always tend to be slimmer fit. I don't want anything clingy, even if it's going to wick away sweat.

SandyUHC
May. 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Cranky, the Swing shirts won't make you, well, cranky. They are substantial knit with a nice cut so not clingy and believe me, I'm picky about wearing revealing stuff.

BestHorses
May. 11, 2010, 09:31 AM
Since I'm always roasting at summer events and an xc vest is quite an insulator I would only want short sleeves. Perhaps the short sleeves could be longer (above your elbow) so I could wear an armband over them. I wear an underarmour shirt now which is great because it's light and wicks. I don't like a shirt with a collar either because it just adds more bulk and makes me hotter.

I'm not sure I would use an armband pocket because it's easier for me to not have to velcro/button a card into a pocket every time I ride - I just slide on the armband.

The only thing I'm missing is colors/customization on sleeves. If you could match helmet cover, sleeve and saddle pad designs that would be something I would be interested in.

inquisitive
May. 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
I just bought this and love it:
http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Double-Quarter-Zip-Womens-H8730-V/dp/B003CECC4I/ref=pd_ybh_21?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RKS9MJCKSNX2EF7T929

I would love something like this but with sleeves that go just to my elbow for cooler weather!