PDA

View Full Version : Quite possibly the most pointless and stupid breeches question ever

RolyPolyPony
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:30 AM
Ok, how long are breeches supposed to be? I know it doesn't make a difference as long as the knee patches aren't at your crotch or down at your ankles, but, really, where are they supposed to come to? Catalogs.websites always show the models in boots!

Why do I ask? Since my teenage years, I've worn the same size of breeches, and have always gotten them in longs. And every single pair has always ended about midcalf - like 6-8 inches above my ankle bone. Then recently I ordered a new pair (because, obviously, someone who rides once a week needs 9 pairs of breeches) and lo! they come down to about an inch or two above my ankle bone! And they're not extra-long or a different size or anything.

So now I wonder - which are the proper length? Again, not that it matters - I'm just now REALLY curious!!

GoForAGallop
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
Sheesh, how freakishly tall are you?!! :lol: :biggrin: :lol:

Mine always hit at the ankle bones....but then again I'm only 5'2''....maybe they're SUPPOSED to be mid-calf and I'm freakishly short?! Ahh! :lol:

Catersun
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:48 AM
i like mine to come just above the ankle..... but I don't know if that is how they are Suposed to fit or not.

greysandbays
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:49 AM
I always figured anywhere between short enough to not rub on the ankle bones and long enough to be able to pull a long sock up over was good enough.

RolyPolyPony
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hahah! Ok, i"m glad I'm not the only one who has no idea "how" they're supposed to fit!

(and I'm not THAT tall - 5'11" but I do have a 36" inseam, most of which is in my thighs!)

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Nov. 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
There should be a fairly obvious place where the knee patch is "right." Also, I don't know about all brands, but Tailored Sportsmans have a knee seam that should be a little below your kneecap.

I don't think it actually matters how far down your calf they go, provided they're comfortable and stay in your boots.

I'm pretty tall and all my breeches hit me somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the ay down my calf.

lorilu
Nov. 4, 2009, 09:05 AM
What I want to know is why the knee patches, right over the knee, are not high enough to protect from the stirrup leather rubs above the patches ( dressage saddle). Every one of my knee patch breeches have rubs above the patch!

And another thing - WHY are the bottoms of the breech SO TIGHT!! Breeches that fit my thighs and waist are often tight around my calves (and I realize they can't be loose, but when they are so tight I can hardly pull them up... something is wrong).

Am I the only fat thigh person without pencil calves??

ANd another thing - why put the velcro on the ankle so it rubs into my skin!!

Just a vent, I guess. I love my Kerrits microcords.

L

cnvh
Nov. 4, 2009, 09:09 AM
I'm short-- 5'3", with apparently REALLY short legs-- because I have yet to buy a pair of britches that don't hit me at the ankle or lower. It's always been like that, so as far as I'm concerned, that's normal. I think I'd feel REALLY weird if I had a pair that only came to mid-calf somewhere...

Posting Trot
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:50 AM
I have also never known where they're supposed to fit. Even many long breeches (supposedly long breeches) come to my mid-calf and then I often get the thrill of having the leg closure right on the middle of my shin-bone. Where it can be pressed by the boot and cause me pain.

This is one of the reasons why I starting buying tights (in long sizes) because I don't like pain and because when the breeches are too short I don't like it when my socks droop and there's nothing--except the boot or half chap--covering 3 or 4 inches of my lower leg.

I'm 5'10", but my ankle to knee measurement is 23" and therein lies the issue.

KateKat
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:59 AM
most of my pairs hit me 2-3 inches above the ankle and I would say I'm pretty average in terms of height (5'7). I usually do fine just buying regular length.

LookinForSpace
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:02 AM
What I want to know is why the knee patches, right over the knee, are not high enough to protect from the stirrup leather rubs above the patches ( dressage saddle). Every one of my knee patch breeches have rubs above the patch!

Try a pair of dressage patch breeches or full-seats instead of hunt patch breeches. :winkgrin:

MaybeMorgan
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
In the same way, I don't get why half the knee patch is under your boots or half-chaps.
Also I wish they were a little longer so I don't feel like high waters when I'm wearing them to the stable (or grocery shopping). I'm 5'3".

TBMaggie
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ahhhh, knee patches aren't supposed to be in your crotch????? Who knew these things????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm bettin' that most of us have just lived with whatever we got - I know I did/am!!

goodhors
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:37 AM
In the same way, I don't get why half the knee patch is under your boots or half-chaps.
Also I wish they were a little longer so I don't feel like high waters when I'm wearing them to the stable (or grocery shopping). I'm 5'3".

If knee patch is going down into your boot much, it is too low on the leg of breeches. Maybe a Short in same breeches waist size, would get the patch up where it belongs on your knee.

Long to me, means the patch will be lower on the leg, to accomodate longer thigh length. Like pants that are marked Long, legs are made longer.

Depending on the maker, breeches seem to end mostly between your ankle and mid-calf. I like mine ending down around the ankle, because my "shapely legs" do not allow the closure of the tight bottom velcro on my calves. I have narrow, bony ankles that allow easy ankle closures. Oh for thin legs! Just not a family trait, plus years of leg exercises with walking fields, riding bikes and riding horses, gives you plenty of well-developed calf muscle behind the shins.

I always wear long socks over breeches to slide boots on easier. If you won't be wearing the tall boots home, you NEED some fancy socks over the breeches above your shoes or paddock boots. Then if you stop at the grocery store, you will have a real look that folks can comment on! DD is known for her AMAZING socks, worn both at home, school and over the breeches in public when her tall boots come off going home. She likes the attention, compliments and comments, which her socks cause. Socks always make folks smile and laugh.

Deb's usually has a large selection of tall, thin weight socks in many colors and patterns to choose from. If you have to wear breeches with socks exposed, have fun doing it whatever your age!!

ThreeFigs
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
Although I am not a "tall" person, I always order my breeches in a Long -- if that is an option. I am long from crotch to waist, and "regular" breeches reach to the lower calf. This feels confining to me. I like my breeches to reach to my ankle.

*Teddy*
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:59 AM
Technically true breeches are supposed to hit you mid calf not at the ankle as to not interfere with wearing tall boots. If they are made to hit the ankle they are technically jodpurs.

Me? I can't come close to following that- I buy reg and they go to my ankles and yeah im freakishly short:lol:

Im just a fountain of random info!

Donkey
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ok, how long are breeches supposed to be? I know it doesn't make a difference as long as the knee patches aren't at your crotch or down at your ankles, but, really, where are they supposed to come to? Catalogs.websites always show the models in boots!

Why do I ask? Since my teenage years, I've worn the same size of breeches, and have always gotten them in longs. And every single pair has always ended about midcalf - like 6-8 inches above my ankle bone. Then recently I ordered a new pair (because, obviously, someone who rides once a week needs 9 pairs of breeches) and lo! they come down to about an inch or two above my ankle bone! And they're not extra-long or a different size or anything.

So now I wonder - which are the proper length? Again, not that it matters - I'm just now REALLY curious!!

I share your problem.

My answer - tall socks. Many pairs of tall socks.

SarahandSam
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
I am 4'10" so breeches end on the floor, and then are rolled up. Big pain in the arse. (: I wear child-size breeches sometimes, which normally hit just above the ankle. I have two magical pairs of breeches that are child sized but hit a little bit above the ankle, at the bottom of my calf; those are perfect. I wish I could find more like that... sigh.

Gloria
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
So you guys wear socks over breeches? Ummm maybe I'm wrong. I always wear socks "under" breeches, regardless I'm wearing tall boots or paddock boots...

FancyFree
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:59 PM
I'm 5'10" and the end of my breeches hit the top of my ankle. You must have super long legs, you lucky girl!

MaybeMorgan
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=goodhors;4483163]If knee patch is going down into your boot much, it is too low on the leg of breeches. Maybe a Short in same breeches waist size, would get the patch up where it belongs on your knee.

Long to me, means the patch will be lower on the leg, to accomodate longer thigh length. Like pants that are marked Long, legs are made longer.
QUOTE]

Yes, but-I don't always wear tall boots to ride. And I wear regular length. But anyway-look at the pictures in the Dover's catalog at some of the breeches with boots!

Marieke
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
Since I sell a lot of breeches,

Breeches are supposed to end 1-1.5 inches above your ankle bone. Not to high up your calves, as that would interfere with your aids, and not to low to your ankle bone, as that rubs.

And Socks are supposed to go OVER the breeches and reach the top of the tall boot (as to not interfere with aiding again)

hope this helps,

ThreeFigs
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
Golly, I've been dressing wrong for ages!

Trevelyan96
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=goodhors;4483163]If knee patch is going down into your boot much, it is too low on the leg of breeches. Maybe a Short in same breeches waist size, would get the patch up where it belongs on your knee.
QUOTE]

Hah, hah, hah, hah! I've yet to find any brand of breeches that comes in a 'short' length except the TS Royal Hunters. And those have to be specially ordered now.

I'm 4'11" and every store or catalog I have access to does not carry breeches in a short length. In fact, the regular length seems to be getting longer and longer.

ThreeFigs
Nov. 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
Or maybe you're getting shorter and shorter!

(That's what I tell my coach -- she's about your size. Maybe shorter.)

Trevelyan96
Nov. 4, 2009, 06:13 PM
Or maybe you're getting shorter and shorter!

(That's what I tell my coach -- she's about your size. Maybe shorter.)

Ah... well, that's possible at my age, but I don't think I've lost more than 1/2" Really. I'm not short, everyone else is TALL!

SarahandSam
Nov. 4, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not short, everyone else is TALL!

Amen!

Renn/aissance
Nov. 6, 2009, 02:11 PM
Depends on the brand. I have freakishly long legs. Ariat and Grand Prix breeches come to about mid-calf. A regular length pair of Miller's I used to have came all the way to my ankle. If TSes would actually go on above my calf (darn calf seam!) they would fall somewhere in the middle of those two points.