PDA

View Full Version : not horse related...any vets online

wookie
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
real quick question.. my dog i rescued in aiken who eats things indiscrimnately has been vomiting for 24 hrs....large amounts of digested/partially food. active...drinking water. i have held his food. good bowel sounds..was very distended but is not now...passing stool but still continuing to vomit. very hungry. new food about 5 days ago. thinking bowel obstruction further down or could it please be gastritis. besides bowel rest and a trip to vet in am...any other suggestions?

kcrubin
Nov. 3, 2009, 11:17 PM
I would take him to an emergency clinic tonight if he is vomiting with food and water withheld. He may need emergency surgery tonight or at the very least IV fluids and some diagnostics. If you don't take him tonight - no food or water and ice cubes to lick.

AKB
Nov. 3, 2009, 11:55 PM
I would take him to the emergency clinic. When children are vomiting, you need to withhold all food. Then, you give tiny amounts of a balanced electrolyte solution, such as Pedialyte, at the rate of 5cc (1 teaspoon) every 1-2 minutes. As long as they keep that down without vomiting, they can usually correct their dehydration. If they can't keep that down, you need to consider that they may have a bowel obstruction or other serious health problem. Since your dog has been vomiting for 24 hours, he may be very dehydrated. Once you reach a certain stage of dehydration, it is hard to fix it with just oral fluids.

FLeckenAwesome
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:01 AM
Bring him to me! I'm bored!! Hee hee....

No... seriously though....

It's a tough call. If he's active and happy otherwise, you might be okay to wait til morning. BUT... I would definitely get an xray done then. I've seen some dogs be pretty happy and have huge chunks of debris blocking their intestines! Heck, one pit bull had carpet about to saw through his intestines and he was still pretty happy!

And also.. the longer you wait, the worse it could get. So... yeah... Without seeing him, I'd have to say go tonight. But definitely go in the am. If it's just garbage gut or dietary indiscretion and no blockage, fluids and nothing oral might fix him right up. If it's a blockage... yep, likely surgery!

As long as he's vomiting, I wouldn't do food or water tonight. Even if he's dehyrated if you give him water and he vomits it back up, it's just making it worse.

Good luck!!!

wookie
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:32 AM
thanxs all. i actually am a er/trauma nurse...so the fact that he is drinking water and still peeing a ton has not forced me to bring him to the vet yet. i will in am and fleckingawesome...he is a pit mix so the carpet thing could be true.. pete has ingested toys/plastic/a lightbulb/ xmas lights/ and a checkbook with some bills. he usually justs vomits them up. use to have a black lab that ate rocks and at night she would vomit the days collection up and you would hear thunk thunk thunk as they hit the wood floor. she tried to eat all the adequan once but got busted leaving with the box out of the tack room. then there is charlotte,,,my golden. she ate a box of rhino vaccines and a whole box of heartgard. i have four dogs...3 rescues and one golden. i have two horses...one a rescue who just had colic surgery last spring. hmmm.....a pattern here. let's pray no surgery for pete's sake(that is his name) and for my sanity and bank account.

FLeckenAwesome
Nov. 4, 2009, 07:40 AM
Oh man... that would have been a pricey snack!!! (The adequan!).

Hope he's okay! Maybe he'll vomit up whatever he ate on the car ride to the vets :)

Good luck! Let us know how he does. Fingers crossed it's not surgical! Pits and pit crosses are pretty tough so he may have that iron stomach and be just fine :)

wookie
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
well. petey ended up with gastritis. the best was when he jumped on the bed at 3am, burped and then vomited right on my chest. ugh. then the next day he hooked up with my golden who is not fixed at her previous owners request. his noogs were scheduled to go the next day. so pete is now nutless. the golden is scheduled for a fix tomorrow and i am exhausted. my golden comes from a litter of 13....so there was no way i was going to let her deliver. golden pitts? yikes. energy overdrive.

Moderator 1
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:17 AM
Good to hear you have a diagnosis, but we're going to close this thread as it's not horse-related.

Thanks!
Mod 1