PDA

View Full Version : Grain?

Barbaro2027
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:12 PM
I have a relatively hard TB to keep weight on, especially when he's in serious work. Currently he gets a mix of Safe Choice and beet pulp without molasses, and the people who run the barn where he lives have said he's crazy the last few weeks while being walked for turnout and in his pasture. He's been on the Safe Choice for almost 5 months now. I've never seen any behavior out of the horse on the ground that would lead me to believe it's anything other than the food or the combination of foods. Anybody had problems with Safe Choice? Thoughts?

Timex
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well, what has been different than usual the past few weeks? Has his work load changed, something like that? More or less turnout? Hell, could be something as simple as he's feeling good because the weather is changing. If he's been on this feed for 5 mos and this is the first time he's acted up, I'd blame mother nature before I blamed the grain.

GleeRider
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have never had experience using Safe Choice, but for keeping weight on ANY horse i suggest using Nutrena Ultium. It can get weight on any horse even the hardest of keepers quick. Many horses are on it at my stable and have had great results. Its always the go to feed for a horse that shows signs of loosing any weight or even just to keep weight on. It is also what has been suggested for years by Ohio State University. You really cant go wrong. I would suggest going to a senior feed because of the added beet pulp, and adding a little under a quart of the Ultium to their feed twice a day.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
I second Ultium, my OTTB has been on it for a while and its done amazing things for him.

eventingismylife
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:56 PM
He probably is just feeling good. I would change to a Senior Feed like Nutrena's or Triple Crown's to add to the Safe Choice. I would feed either 2lbs of Safe Choice and 4lbs of a senior feed because of the beet pulp in it, or you could go 3lbs of each.

eventer80
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:09 PM
2 things:

I have fed Safe Choice for a long time to very hot OTTB and never had that problem

Also, be careful when mixing to many feeds.............As discussed in my Equine Nutrition classes, the biggest issue when feeding horses is not underfeeding or overfeeding, it's messing up the ratios and balance of the feed by mixing too many without spending time figuring out what all nutrients they are getting and in they are in proper balance. The pelleted feeds are balanced properly by themselves (for a normal horse with no issues).

Stepping off my soapbox!! AND I apologize for the run on sentence!!!!

gottagrey
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:15 AM
My trainer likes to add Athlete to grain for horses in poor condition or hard keepers. I've seen it transform a horse in 3 weeks - I believe Ultium has athlete added to it. You would decrease grain and add the athlete.

We had a horse at our barn - the owner wanted to use that Black as Night feed supplement to keep her horses dark coat from fading - he turned into a wacko - so the manager stopped that after a couple of days...

faluut42
Nov. 4, 2009, 02:00 AM
is your weather cooky wacky over there? (it is where i am)

Barbaro2027
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:20 PM
The weather has been wild here. Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, I will put them to work. He was as quiet as an old school horse today...which isn't great either!

NMK
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:38 PM
I used to use SafeChoice but switched to Triple Crown Sr. One is now actually getting less in quantity but looks much better. I will never go back to SC.

LKF
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:44 PM
He is behaving like a Thoroughbred horse. They're an active breed and he is feeling good. Cool weather has a lot to do with it too. If he is in good flesh, I wouldn't mess with his feed - but as some suggested, you can look into Triple Crown and look into their feed that is high in fat and low in carbs.

Eventer55
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:47 PM
If my Tbs are not acting up I get worried:). . .

EventingDiva
Nov. 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
If my Tbs are not acting up I get worried:). . .

I was thinking the same thing ;)

My horses have been on Safe Choice and been fine. I wouldn't blame the grain especially if he's been on that for months. The seasons are changing and I know its been cool here in MA. My horses have been cooky too. Right now both of my TB's who in the past have always been ribby before switching to Performance supplemented with Empower. Now they are a perfect weight and not ribby. They were one XTN from Nutrena before which is a great grain (my warm blood is still on it and is fat and happy) but one of them because grain high. I am happy with the switch, never seem to be grain high even with the weather change-still act like baby TB's but not because of their grain.

Good luck!