PDA

View Full Version : Oil OK for barn cats? Maybe even good for them?

JoZ
Nov. 3, 2009, 01:41 PM
I noticed recently that I can never find the measuring cup I use for canola oil for my hard-keepin' TB mare. Even when I know just exactly where I left it. It's always on the floor somewhere across the way from the feed prep area.

Then I caught the culprits -- the barn kitties. They lick that cup inside and outside, as well as the bottle of oil and the spot on the counter where I put them down! Apparently it is the Best Thing Ever.

So I started putting a splash of oil into their dry food bucket and shaking it up so the food is coated. Nom nom nom. They are in heaven.

Soooo... is it bad for them? Good for them? Any reason NOT to do this? These are hard-working, healthy, neutered verminators but they do stay a bit on the lean side. I wouldn't mind seeing them with a little padding going into winter, even though our winters aren't harsh.

sk_pacer
Nov. 3, 2009, 02:30 PM
It won't hurt them - cats need fat and as the weather gets colder, I have noticed mine ignoring the lower fat tinned food in favour of the fat laden cheap stuff. Just don't overdo it

msj
Nov. 3, 2009, 02:35 PM
If your barn kitties are a bit on the lean side they might have tapeworms. I know all my barn cats would get tapes from all the mice they'd catch and eat. I'd usually worm them about 3 times a yr if I remember correctly.

2Horse
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:38 PM
I had heard that oil helps with hairballs.

Horsegal984
Nov. 4, 2009, 08:57 AM
Won't hurt in moderation. It will also help prevent hairballs, as well as hopefully add some insualtion for winter. If they hunt, tapeworms are a real possibility, check with your vet about getting some Profender for them, it's a topical dewormer that conver hooks, rounds, and tapes in one dose. Goes on the back of the neck like flea prevention, no losing fingers trying to shove a pill down. ;) Should have named it Profinger.

Katherine
Vet Tech