PDA

View Full Version : Half chaps for important lesson?

lionstigersbears
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:32 PM
So, I have the opportunity to visit/interview at a barn for a working student position this weekend. I am thrilled/excited/nervous. In the afternoon I will be having a lesson with the owner and I was planning on wearing breeches and tall boots. However, I haven't ridden in 3 years and just tried on my tall boots - they won't go all the way on. I shouldn't really be shocked, I got them when I was 12/13 and I'm 21 now. There's no way I can buy new tall boots before this weekend, so I was wondering if people thought it would be acceptable to wear paddock boots and matching half chaps?

When I rode before I schooled in full chaps over breeches/jods/leggings or jeans and paddock boots and only wore my tall boots for clinics/shows/important lessons.

Also, while I have light colored breeches, my favorites (most comfortable/most durable) are black, would that be acceptable to wear for this day? Thanks!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:45 PM
depends on the half chaps and the person you are interviewing with.

I'd wear the lighter colored breeches. And I would personally wear half chaps if they are ones that I would also wear in a show. I have these and with my black paddock boots it is a pretty good look. I'd also let them know that you didn't have tall boots that still fit you in case they do care.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35115A&ids=1064024922

mjrtango93
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
Personally I think clean, well fitting black breeches with CLEAN half chaps and paddock boots, with a nice polo or sweater would be just fine.

Wonders12
Nov. 3, 2009, 01:21 PM
Why don't you ask? Whenever I go to a new barn I always ask 2 questions:
1) Where do I park? (If you go to a barn all the time, you may forget that the parking isn't always obvious) and
2) What's the attire at the barn, and are there any rules I should know about? (This gives me a good idea if it's a jeans and t-shirt sort of barn of nice breeches, tall boots, and polo barn. Then you can go from there.)

Good luck!

gottagrey
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:27 AM
You could also be honest when you arrive and mention that those darn tall boots just don't fit like they used to...we've all been there - why do you think we love zip up boots now.

Best of luck to you