PDA

View Full Version : Barn Thefts

monalisa
Nov. 3, 2009, 11:49 AM
I recently saw a posting in VA where someone came in and took all the saddles, bridles, halters, blankets, even the drugs out of the tack room refrigerator.

Curious as to what people are doing to protect their "stuff" at night in their barn, during the day when they are at work, etc. I am interested in what private barns are doing. This happened in a small private barn, not at a boarding facility.

ChocoMare
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:18 PM
What a crappy thing to have happen. I can't imagine the horror of walking into your barn and seeing it all gone :( I pray they have good insurance and that the serial numbers are saved!

I self-care board at a private farm, so I lock up everything in my Tack Closet (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2695214780015305252jynpVm) every night. Granted, someone could still come along and snap the MasterLock with bolt cutters, but it's a deterrant. Fortunately the farm manager has two African Geese, AKA: One of God's Greatest Intruder Alert Systems :D

Theft of any of it, fortunately, would be covered in our homeowner's policy (yes, I checked with our agent).

justdandy
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:20 PM
:(Where in VA did this happen?

monalisa
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:24 PM
Near Staunton.

I can lock my gate to my barn and then my tack room, but what a pain to feel that you have to lock up everything - halters, blankets, etc.

These people apparently knew what they were doing. I think the area tack shops were alerted and I imagine the BO is watching Ebay.

justdandy
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:32 PM
That's awful! It makes me want to deadbolt the tack room doors.:( I've already asked my husband to put bars on the tack room windows.

Some people just suck!

KnKShowmom
Nov. 3, 2009, 01:04 PM
When we built our barn we made the tack room an interior room, meaning no exterior windows and it has a interior ceiling - hubby wanted to put a big window from the aisle side, but I opted for a smaller tilt-in set up higher - no one can crawl through it.

It is only unlocked when we are in the barn - we leave and it gets locked. When a boarder leaves, the key goes to a new location although after a particularly worrisome one left, I changed the locks just to be sure!

msj
Nov. 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
Deadbolt locks on the tack room door and use them is one certain way to deter thefts. Also, I have bars on the inside of my tack room window so even if someone wants to break the window trying to get in, all they could squeeze in would be an arm and there is nothing within arm's reach except a bottle of corn oil and they couldn't pull it back out thru the bars.

Neither deterent is expensive either.

I've got a small private barn and a dog that barks her head off and, for even greater measure, a driveway alarm and my barn is behind the house so anyone driving in has to pass the house and therefore the driveway alarm. Walking in is possible but they couldn't get anything for their troubles.

manentail
Sep. 4, 2010, 10:44 PM
First ting I'm going to do when I get a farm is install cameras. I have researched and you can get them somewhat cheep ($200-$300 for good ones).

I agree with everyone else, LOCKS! I have had hay stolen too so lock up your hay.

clanter
Sep. 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
when our barn was raided the police just said so what as even though everything was marked with our brand they said the stuff was most likely already run through an out-of-state auction

That was nearly twenty years ago and some day I will find our saddles as they all have the farm name stamped into the underside of the flaps

Insurance is the only protection as we at least had everything covered.

Long Spot
Sep. 4, 2010, 11:08 PM
When a boarder leaves, the key goes to a new location although after a particularly worrisome one left, I changed the locks just to be sure!

KnK, have you thought about installing a lock with a key/button pad? We ended up doing that, and it works great. We got the kind that could store up to 20 combinations, I think. Each boarder chooses their own 4 digit pin/combo. When a boarder leaves, their personal number is erased and no longer works.

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Industry-PAKL-01LAQ-Left-Hand-Antique/dp/B000HHQOCE

LauraKY
Sep. 5, 2010, 10:31 AM
When we had an on-site boarder, not just training clients or absentee horse owners, we locked up the tack room. Now we lock it at night. I have three loud dogs that let me know if anyone even drives down the road, so I really don't worry.

clanter
Sep. 5, 2010, 02:12 PM
KnK, have you thought about installing a lock with a key/button pad? We ended up doing that, and it works great. We got the kind that could store up to 20 combinations, I think. Each boarder chooses their own 4 digit pin/combo. When a boarder leaves, their personal number is erased and no longer works.

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Industry-PAKL-01LAQ-Left-Hand-Antique/dp/B000HHQOCE

if going that way, check into using a fingerprinter reading lock... codes can be stolen or passed around... the fingerprint reading locks are not much more

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/fikeendolo.html

saddleup
Sep. 5, 2010, 02:27 PM
Ooh, I want one of those fingerprint locks. I don't lock my tack room, but maybe I should start.

horsegirl123
Sep. 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
We are a small barn and the girls can lock their lockers if they want to plus the tack room door can be locked. The barn is right next to the home so we would hear if someone came up the driveway. The 4 dogs would be the first to alert us.

Diamondindykin
Sep. 6, 2010, 12:09 AM
My neighbor just got one of her saddles stolen. They walked into the barn and took only one saddle out of 5. It ended up on Ebay and the Sheriff is now involved. We still are not sure who it is but we think it is our crazy neighbor. All my stuff is now locked up and I have lost my sense of security. Hopefully she will be in jail soon but I am still considering putting in video camera's in my barn because I am somewhat concerned that she will go after one of our horses next.

sadlmakr
Sep. 6, 2010, 12:38 AM
Make sure you have everything locked up.
We had a lady out here who went to work and came home to find her trailer and her horses and saddlery and get this, even her hay was stolen.
No sign of any of it ever showed up.
They must had traveled a long ways out of state to sell them.
No lock on the trailer. No locks on the doors of the barn. Pasture gates were also unsecured.
Take care to secure your barn and tack room.
And get a trailer lock too.
sadlmakr