PDA

View Full Version : A reasonable price for used stall mats?

EmJae
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:46 AM
I hope this thread isn't seen as advertising, because I'm not trying to sell mats here. My horse had to be put down last week, and the barn manager mentioned to me that another boarder was interested in purchasing the stall mats that I had put outside my horse's stall until my dad could come pick them up. However, I'm a little unsure how much to ask for them.

I paid $50 per mat (don't know exact dimensions but approximately 6' x 4'??) and they're less than a year old. Some were used in the attached paddock to the stall but the paddock was covered.

Any suggestions on what would be a fair price?

CFFarm
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:31 AM
Wait before you sell them. I know it's probably not in the forefront of your plans but there may be another horse looking for you. It happens.

Robin@DHH
Nov. 3, 2009, 08:39 AM
Well, I thought I got a great deal on pretty used mats (out of a dairy
barn) when I got 40 of them at $7 each. The price that 4x6 mats
bring at the farm auctions in my area is around $20 if mats are
in good condition. But 4x6 mats here are $30-$40 new.

CDE Driver
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:16 AM
Well, I thought I got a great deal on pretty used mats (out of a dairy
barn) when I got 40 of them at $7 each. The price that 4x6 mats
bring at the farm auctions in my area is around $20 if mats are
in good condition. But 4x6 mats here are $30-$40 new.

What she said.

I just bought some new ones at the local farm store and they were $35. A friend just bought some used ones for $20/each.

Luckydonkey
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
$20 is a good price!

greysandbays
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:49 AM
I recently bought ten 4x6 3/4"-thick used mats for $20 each.

At the nearest farm store, 1/2" mats were over $40.

Valentina_32926
Nov. 3, 2009, 10:00 AM
I hope this thread isn't seen as advertising, because I'm not trying to sell mats here. My horse had to be put down last week, and the barn manager mentioned to me that another boarder was interested in purchasing the stall mats that I had put outside my horse's stall until my dad could come pick them up. However, I'm a little unsure how much to ask for them.

I paid $50 per mat (don't know exact dimensions but approximately 6' x 4'??) and they're less than a year old. Some were used in the attached paddock to the stall but the paddock was covered.

Any suggestions on what would be a fair price?

I paid $50/mat years ago and would easily pay $25/mat for 'new' looking ones.

EmJae
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all your replies!

rmh_rider
Nov. 6, 2009, 06:28 PM
Keep those stall mats. They can be used ANYwhere. Aren't you glad you didn't ever glue them together. They can be used in a garage. A new walk way.

Keep them for your next horse. There will be another horse in your life.

Stall mats can have a second life. I would NOT ever sell them. If they have to ride around in the bed of your truck for a few years, so be it. There are lots of things to do with your mats besides sell them.

If somebody wants them and they were $50 each, sell them for $50 each.

JoZ
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:19 PM
If I wait for a sale around here, I can get them for $33-35 each. I would pay $30 each if they were in good condition and already at my barn! Better still if they were in my stall. I'd hate to think how much I'd pay in that case!

Can you tell I loathe moving stall mats?

The biggest must-haves for me when looking at used ones are (a) original size -- you'd be surprised how many people have cut holes, notches and strips out of them and (b) no thin spots. If a crater has been worn it's not worth it to me at any price.

But in the spirit of a couple of other responses -- the ones I have I am NEVER selling. I consider them to be one of my most valuable possessions!

rmh_rider
Nov. 7, 2009, 08:06 AM
Ditto what JoZ says,

I would never sell mine, or leave mine ever again.

We sold a property, and I left my treasured mats, and you have heard the song . . . . save paradise and they put up a parking lot. Well, the new owners tore everything down, resold and built a zillion houses. I wonder what ever happened to my oh so treasured rubber mats? They were thick and nice. I wish I had moved them, but didn't. I regret that to this day. They can be used for other things. If they stink, air them out! Rinse.

Don't regret selling your mats. If so, sell for a high price (or what you paid for them) to somebody else in the barn. They are there any way so you have to include labor of getting them there. :-) That is why I say sell for a higher price. People will pay for convenience. Also they have NOT decreased in price. Maybe increased due to them already being there. The labor of moving them is worth something.

bludejavu
Nov. 7, 2009, 06:58 PM
Several years back a local dog agility facility closed up and they sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 to 300 mats that were originally purchased from Tractor Supply. We purchased a good many of them for $18.00 per mat and we thought that was an excellent deal - we were prepared to pay a bit more as they were about the same age as your mats.